Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great match!!!!! Set up great, Managed great and ALL 10 stages were a blast. GREAT BIG 'THANKS' Shannon, Wadette and all the R.O.'s, Ya'll did a wonderful job. All those on squad 8, it's was a real joy shooting with you all.

As XD shooter said, I bled a little on stage 2 "Deja Woo" but it wasn't one of my best stages because I was so stoked about how well the whole 'Dive onto the deck, belly slide into the center port, rip the three targets' went that I forgot to reload going into the next port and it cost me about 6-8 seconds. But it was stiil a blast doing it.

Those who didn't make it really missed out. It was one heck of a time.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

RULES: Practical Shooting Handbook, Latest Edition

SCORING: Fixed time, ...

TARGETS: ... Steel

Will be a fun stage, and no one will complain, but not even close to the rules.

What rules????? This is MONSTER MATCH RULES !!!!!!!!!!

The only rule here is/was to get your mags and bullets "greased" neatly, and work in your reloads. Yup, even with 30 rounds in my two big sticks I went dry "TWICE". Too much adrenaline and not enough sleep in the prior three days left me a wreck.

I was there Friday afternoon, fixing strategy to memory for the next day runs. Oh, yeah, I had it all worked out. We started on Pet Cemetery, and I had my two big sticks ready. I was hosing those suckers down real nice, with no misses, and could hear "the groupies" in the background cheering me on ... then suddenly 'click' and nothing (thought I had a bad primer?) so I racked it , only to realize I was dry. :angry2: So I dropped the mag and slammed in a fresh big stick and kept going untill the the RO tapped my shoulder. Lost close to four seconds figuring out I was "dry". The thing is that I expected to have more misses, and actually factored those misses into the round count and when the misses were not there, it threw out my count. I had a solid hit in a small popper that did not go down, and someone suggested I ask for re-calibration and get a re-shoot, but I said: "No. it was so much fun as I did it that shooting it again wouldn't match it, even if I got a better score".

On "A- Holes" I outdid myself. On Friday, I worked out my strategy for starting on the center box and shoot each entire array (3) from left to right and comply with the rule of at least one shot per box, and then shoot the target behind the no-shoot in the center array as my last shot, after finishing the right side array. I conferred with the RO, who said it was ok. I shot it in great time, and was very proud of myself. That is untill the RO told me that it indeed was a great time, but he had to give me a penalty per target. To this I replied that I had consulted with him about the shooting precedure and he had approved it. Then he reminded me that I was supposed to fire THREE shots at each target and not TWO. That meant sixteen targets, sixteen MIKES (Yikes!) I had seen everybody else shoot three rounds each targets, but the previous day when I "ingrained/seared" that stage into my mind/memory I must certainly only allowed fo two shots. When the beep went on I went on "programmed auto pilot". I think that cost me the class standing right there. What do you think??

Saturday night I had a bit of a problem with my digestive system and had to scratch off Sunday's shooting. But next year I am coming back in what I would like to call: "REVENGE OF THE RADCAT" at the Monster Match.

It was nice to see so many friends and smilling faces, in spite of the rainy drizzle on Saturday.

Thanks, Shannon and "Monster Gang". :cheers:

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

When you are not using the rules, don't say you are...

Look, nobody thinks this is a big deal, but it is a bad precedent.

Edited by wide45

You're kidding right??? :unsure:

I have shot past Monster Matches, ONLY missed this one because I am outta the country. It is NOT to be missed!! Great time. If you don't like the rules, don't play!!!

I am ONLY sorry I missed this one.

Congrats to both the survivors and the winners. Come to think of it, IF you survived, you did win!!!

Hats off to the crew, even tho I was not there!!

As ZH said, I'm guessing this was intended to be humorous. I would hate to see us not take advantage of similar formats to a USPSA match that are not fully compliant with their rules. This match was not intended to be a USPSA certified event. It was though intended to be a great deal of fun while following many of the USPSA rules. It certainly succeeded at that since almost every shooter I ran into had a great big grin on her or his face. It's a great thing to let loose of the reins every once in a while. B)

My intent was to point out that the stage description claimed that the rules from the Practical Shooting Handbook, would be observed, and that the stage was grossly illegal under those rules.

Some sort of oversight I'm sure.

Obviously special rules are in effect for this match. Clearly no one has a problem with that.

Drove 16 hours to shoot this match. Will drive further in the future if necessary now that I know what a great match it is.

1/2 the price of other big matches. Twice the shooting. Ten times the fun. Great stages.

Pet Cemetary rocked. Yeah Smitty, I know, 59!

Wish all matches were like this.

Thanks to the whole crew for a wonderful weekend.

See y'all in 2009.

Donn

This was my first Monster Match and I'll sign up tomorrow for next year if applications and fees will be accepted.

Not enough thanks can be expresed to Shannon and his dedicated crew for putting on this match. Fantastic stage design and match management made this event a great experience and so much fun. The fact that Shannon didn't shoot the match himself speaks to his dedication to make sure it ran smoothly - which it did as he roamed the courses all day, every day, answering every question and dealing with every problem to everyone's satisfaction. (That and his desire to give everyone else a fighting chance! :bow: )

I also wanted to thank Derek Janowicz of Millenium Custom for all his work in putting up the Steel Challenge side match with the official Smoke and Hope and 5 To Go stages. It was only $5 per run at both stages and he took time out from his vendor booth to run people who wanted to see what the Steel Challenge is all about. I'm sure everyone who tried it will be at the National Steel Challenge Match in March - Shameless plug --> 2008 US National Steel Championship

Both Shannon and Derek didn't make ANY profit from this weekend's matches, giving 100% shooter pay back after direct match expenses. Shannon even explained to me how the Monster Match is "recognized" by the USPSA since he uses USPSA targets and rules (to the extent possible, given the nature of the match) and thereby paying USPSA their royalty fees as if it were a sanctioned match. How these guys can give so much back to their sport and fellow shooters is simply inspiring.

A big thumbs up to my squad mates on Squad 8 - it was also a great time because of the great people! Venry - a special thanks for letting me try your latest Open masterpiece after the match - I was quite honored and I apologize for the poor performance on the steel stages! I'm ready to mortgage my house when you complete that conversion for the M&P :D

Again, GREAT JOB to Shannon, Derek, Waddette and all their support staff, and thanks for your contributions to the shooting sports! :cheers:

ETA: Please support those who support our sport, the great vendors that showed up at the Monster Match and generously contributed to the prize table: Red Dot Shooting and Docter Optics USA

Jeff

Edited by JeffD

My intent was to point out that the stage description claimed that the rules from the Practical Shooting Handbook, would be observed, and that the stage was grossly illegal under those rules.

Obviously special rules are in effect for this match. Clearly no one has a problem with that.

We all appreciate you pointing out the problems with the match. It is easy to point out errors while anonymously sitting behind a keyboard. I assume you did not shoot the match but I don't know that because I don't know who you are. Maybe next time, sign your name to your post.

Cliff Walsh

Hate to put my two cents on top of everyone else's, but when it comes to the Monster Match, and matches like it, for example the Florida Single Stack Classic, you have to realize that the rules come from somewhere. We are all aware, and Smitty made no bones about it, that the rules would be followed except for the round count and division friendly format. Not quite sure what you thought you were adding, but it turned out to be not a whole lot.

The rules WERE followed with the exception of that. The range nazi "you shouldn't announce you are following the rules" crap doesn't fly. The intent of the match was to let the hosers be hosers. Personally, having shot exclusively a singlestack for the first five years of my experience in USPSA/IPSC (prior to Lim10 and SS divisions) and having made B class LIMITED with a singlestack, I kind of LIKE having a large round count. It keeps me honest, and it keeps me practiced. So we stood in one spot under a par time and slammed reload after reload for a period of 35 seconds. Those who hit more than others (due to patience and a solid sight picture) made it out of it higher than those who just slapped the trigger and prayed. Nothing wrong with that, and it is allowable under the rules of the match.

Would you have preferred that Smitty announce that there were no rules for that particular stage or even the match for that matter? Or could you soon learn to understand that the intent is to provide a set of boundaries for a match that isn't sanctioned, but only recognized, as a hell of a time for all involved.

Smitty busted his tail to put on a FUN match for everyone involved and took great care of his staff. That is more than can be said for half of the sanctioned matches in the sport. But then, there is always one person who will point out the obvious. "This isn't right." or "That isn't according to rule XYZ123." My question is this, "Who really cares?" It wasn't a level II or III match, it was a "fun" match put on to relieve some competition stressors that we all go through from trying to be competitive with one another all year WHILE FOLLOWING THE RULES.

To Smitty. Man, I am glad you asked me to participate. To the shooters, thank you for your participation and patience with the RO's. Stage 1 "Ghost Town" was an awesome stage to run and thanks to Bill Q. for hangin out and teaching me some finer points of RO'ing. Awesome. My dawgs are still barkin. To Wadette for every ounce of energy she puts into every match she helps administer, you are as incredible as one could be and thank you for all of your contributions to the sport in general. To all of the other RO's at the match, thank you for everything that you do as well as being one FUN group to shoot with. To Bill S., you really really are going to pay for makin a fat guy flop (read that: great stages). To the other stage designers, great job.

We all appreciate you pointing out the problems with the match. It is easy to point out errors while anonymously sitting behind a keyboard. I assume you did not shoot the match but I don't know that because I don't know who you are. Maybe next time, sign your name to your post.

Cliff Walsh

Tell us how you really feel Cliff!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

BTW good job with the Round Gun.

PAT

This was my first Monster Match and I'll sign up tomorrow for next year if applications and fees will be accepted.

Not enough thanks can be expresed to Shannon and his dedicated crew for putting on this match. Fantastic stage design and match management made this event a great experience and so much fun. The fact that Shannon didn't shoot the match himself speaks to his dedication to make sure it ran smoothly - which it did as he roamed the courses all day, every day, answering every question and dealing with every problem to everyone's satisfaction. (That and his desire to give everyone else a fighting chance! :bow: )

I also wanted to thank Derek Janowicz of Millenium Custom for all his work in putting up the Steel Challenge side match with the official Smoke and Hope and 5 To Go stages. It was only $5 per run at both stages and he took time out from his vendor booth to run people who wanted to see what the Steel Challenge is all about. I'm sure everyone who tried it will be at the National Steel Challenge Match in March - Shameless plug --> 2008 US National Steel Championship

Both Shannon and Derek didn't make ANY profit from this weekend's matches, giving 100% shooter pay back after direct match expenses. Shannon even explained to me how the Monster Match is "recognized" by the USPSA since he uses USPSA targets and rules (to the extent possible, given the nature of the match) and thereby paying USPSA their royalty fees as if it were a sanctioned match. How these guys can give so much back to their sport and fellow shooters is simply inspiring.

A big thumbs up to my squad mates on Squad 8 - it was also a great time because of the great people! Venry - a special thanks for letting me try your latest Open masterpiece after the match - I was quite honored and I apologize for the poor performance on the steel stages! I'm ready to mortgage my house when you complete that conversion for the M&P :DAgain, GREAT JOB to Shannon, Derek, Waddette and all their support staff, and thanks for your contributions to the shooting sports! :cheers:

ETA: Please support those who support our sport, the great vendors that showed up at the Monster Match and generously contributed to the prize table: Red Dot Shooting and Docter Optics USA

Jeff

Congratulations, Jeff-

It was a pleasure sharing this Monster Match experience with you. You definetely have bigger b---s than me, going on with your shooting in spite of the tremendous/horrible back pain you were enduring. AND THEN YOU GO ON TO WIN YOUR DIVISION !!!!!!! :bow::bow:

(As for a "Open Smith & Wesson M&P ... hmmm !) If you (or S&W)can get to me a barrel with an extra inch in length (to accomodate for the "Hyper-Jet" portion of the comp) I will be glad to set you up, without having to mortgage your house. That is, if you are "ready" to come on over to the "dark side (Open)" shooting an M&P. It is definetely doable. I can already imagine you hosing down Monster Match Pet Cemetery 2008 with an Open M&P. ( Yeah, it boggles the mind. :devil: )

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

Congratulations, Jeff-

If you (or S&W)can get to me a barrel with an extra inch in length (to accomodate for the "Hyper-Jet" portion of the comp) I will be glad to set you up, without having to mortgage your house. That is, if you are "ready" to come on over to the "dark side (Open)" shooting an M&P. It is definetely doable.

Thanks Venry, I cannot pass up an offer like that. I'm going to get working on it - more later...

Jeff

No oversight; It's the Monster Match and it's AWSOME. All rule variances were purely intentional.

You are 100% correct with that statement. I'll also add that anyone who does have a problem with that does not need to get involved with the MONSTER MATCH in any manner what-so-ever to include posting in this thread. It's all purely voluntary.

I'm still recovering... :) Thank you for all the kind comments. I've never shot or participated in a Monster Match before... but OH MY GOSH! this was THE MOST FUN I've EVER had!!!! In all other USPSA (type/like) matches I've shot, there's sort of a 1st, and maybe a 2nd gear... but we had to push up to 3rd and 4th for this match! Kind of like driving your race car on a long stretch of straight, open highway... vs. pushing your race car to the limits on a race track!!! YEEEEEHAAAWWW!!!!

I have so much to say, but I'm still just too tired to get into everything. The whole match was amazing. The competitors were awesome... EVERYONE was so happy!!! That's just incredible to see. Like other posts have said... we experienced everything/every challenge possible... shooting and weather related (no snow though, whew! :D ). I heard almost every competitor describe their crash and burn on one stage or another... with a HUGE smile on their face... then stated, "but I'm having SO MUCH FUN!!!" I've never experienced a match engulfed in this positive radiance. It was truly amazing.

DHTampa it was so good to see you again! We miss you here very much!!!

It was great to meet more forum members too! I'm assuming that Hardball is Chris? Glad we found your timer and great shooting with you! And, XD Niner, were you the one that asked about my videos? :D

dirtypool40, congratulations on your victory and I owe you for the eyeballs vs. Andy. That was just hilarious!!! If anyone saw (or better yet, experienced!) the chemical reaction between sticky eyeballs and Progrip... that was THE BEST!!! The looks on the competitors face when their Progrip covered hands repelled the water but attracted and ADHERED to EVERY sticky eyeball and mouse in the cauldron... :goof:

Sandro, there is video of the "Buns of Steel" incident on Stage 6... I'm working with the owner on the copyright to the footage. ;)

I'm SOOOOO SORRY EVERYONE!!! My video camera broke while filming Sue VanBlaricum's great 52 downed steel run on Pet Cemetery. :(IF ANYONE HAS ANY VIDEO FOOTAGE OF THIS MATCH, PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!! I will host it for free and would love to put something together. (sniper_le@yahoo.com)

I only managed to retrieve a few runs of the RO's on our first stage... I Want My Mummy. At this match, it was not uncommon to see an Open gun run dry, belts fall off due to the weight of mags, overwhelming confusion, reloading from your mags on the ground, hysterical laughter while shooting and general insane behavior... Here's Marc Weir and his attempt...

Marc Wants His Mummy... and a few more Big Sticks. :D

A match this AWESOME couldn't have happened without ALL of the AWESOME people involved!!! A MONSTERTHANK YOU to EVERYONE invovled!!!

SmittyFL, you're the bestest!

:cheers:

I agree with the posts....FANTASTIC match!!! Loads of fun!! Was a bit nervous about such a big match, but I was having too much fun to realize just how much I was shooting!

Thanks to Smitty and ALL the crew....once again FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never experienced a match engulfed in this positive radiance. It was truly amazing.

SmittyFL, you're the bestest!

:cheers:

Hardball is Chris. :) And I must entirely agree. The timer is just that, just a timer, but I was glad we did as well. I knew it was somewhere in our mess. As tired as we were, any one of us could have clipped it on our belts and not been able to tell the difference. :)

One thing that everyone forgets to mention is that Smitty could have totally walked away with his own match and was gracious enough to sit it out. :devil: Smitty, Sharyn, you guys are some of the inspiration for us "human" shooters. I hope one day to be able to shoot beside you and actually keep up.

I do have to say that Charles needs to stop his sandbaggin and get his A card. :P (And I need to get off of my dead butt and start shooting again.) Move along now Charles... :bow:

If there was one shooter who didn't crash at least once in the match, they weren't trying hard enough. It is hard enough to have completed two of the stages without your forearms screaming at you, let alone all 10 stages.

Smitty, I have an idea for a stage for next year. Gonna be emailing it soon. :devil:

Oh, and Tammie, thanks for the offer of something to eat. You and your crew were a great squad to run. You guys are the reason all of the RO's do what we do. We volunteer because folks like you and your squad make it worth it!

Edited by Hardball

So I promised myself I wouldn't read how great this match was... I was looking forward to shooting it and just having a fun time...alas work got in the way.....I am glad you guys had a great time without me.

Smitty it sound like you and the staff put on a helluva match and Eric..Congrats on the win!

On the bright side instead of enjoying a great weekend shooting I picked getting Tased for 5 seconds.....it is amazing how long five seconds actually is :surprise:

Edited by smokshwn