Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kitten doing better after surgery

38supPat

One of our kittens has been down the last week or so. Wouldn't eat, didn't poop, only vomiting. We tried laxitives and antibiotics, but nothing was working. he lost alot of weight so we took him back to the vets and was xrayed. Turns out the little turd ate a penny and it was lodged in his intestine....I have no idea how the little bugger managed to swallow it without choking and get it far enough down to block his digestive system.

He went in for surgery yesterday to have his little savings account removed. He is now doing much better and we should have him back today. Guess I'll have to open a bank account for him....its a little easier than turning him into a mobile piggy bank :D

It's amazing what we will do for our furry family members. We have an 11 year old Cocker that will have ACL reconstruct surgury on her right rear knee Thursday. She's already had it on the left side 3-4 years ago and did well with it.

I hope your little furball recovers quickly

dj

good to hear your Kitten is doing better. It is amazing what they will eat. I had a dog that ate a pair of glassess, lenses and all, then washed it down with a tube of zinc oxide. Luckily the zinc protected its stomach from being ripped up by the glass.

Wow, Pat, that's good news! :) We had a dog eat a staple, once... She barfed a bunch, and such, but we managed to get it to pass w/ the right food and drugs... A penny is pretty big for a kitten, no way that was coming out on its own...

Were they able to scope her, or did they have to cut her open?

He had to get cut, gonna have a cool scar :D

You should see the xrays, no way it was passing...well maybe but there'd be a lot of screaming. :lol:

We got the penny back, I think we'll put it in a frame with the xrays...or maybe a safety deposit box, that penny is now worth $2000

Glad your kitten is doing better Pat!

Dog got into burdock (cockleburrs) once. Tried to chew it off her tail. All those zillions of nasty barby things got caught in her throat and she was barfing and going nuts. Really stressing. Called my vet. She said to try the trick they use for fish hooks. Take four or five cotton balls and wad them up so they form a ball about the size of a ping pong ball. Soak it in milk. Feed to dog.

Gave dog the first one. That really helped. Gave her another. That solved the problem. To this day if there is a cotton ball around the dog goes and eats it.

Same dog now gets pills that cost $1 each twice a day. But it was that or put her down. Now she does what she wants to do and has a very good quality of life.

Driving back from Nats in Missoula my cell rings. Wife is at vet hospital (the big, expensive university vet hospital) with one of the cats in crisis. Total urinary blockage. $3K later and he now looks a lot more like a lady cat than a boy cat (exteriorized the urethra essentially) and has a shaved back end (which is reforesting quickly!). But that problem shoudn't come back.

Before the surgery this cat would barely give me a glance but really was nuts about the wife. I paid part of his vet bill with money I was saving for an Open blaster. Now he pays attention to me.

Yeah...amazing what we do for our fuzzy friends.

Hmmm...dog went on the spendy meds while I was at MG Nats in Albany last year. Cat has expensive surgery while I am at Missoula Nats. Crap...maybe I shouldn't be going to Nats! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad your kitty is getting better :cheers: .

One of ours, who is nearly 15 now, ate a pair of my wife knee highs when he was a kitten. That boy was low sick for several days. Vet gave us two options: copious amounts of Laxatone or very expensive surgery. We were dirt poor at the time so we opted for the Laxatone. Gave him dose after dose for a couple of days. I came home from work one evening and smelled a god awful smell when I walked into the apartment. I found him laying in the bathroom sink, covered in, well, I won't say what he was covered in, but the knee highs were in the sink with him. The look on his face told me he felt a miilion times better though. When we called the vet and told him the Laxatone worked he told us that he really did not think our cat had a chance of surviving, but was glad that he did. To this day that cat still has a foot fetish. Find him sleeping with his head inside my wife's shoe all the time.