Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron sights and cross eye dominance

elenius

Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas/tips/experiences regarding shooting a rifle (M1A with iron sights) with cross-dominance. I'm right handed and "left eyed". When I shoot pistol, I tape the right glass. When I shoot rifle, I close my left eye, but it is hard for me to do this for more than a few seconds, and it's very unrelaxed. I tried looking with both eyes open, but it's tough. I don't see the front sight very sharp then. My left eye is too dominant.

When you shoot pistol you tape your RIGHT eye?

I am also right handed, and left eye dominant and I tape my left for handguns, and long guns, except while hunting.

Yeah, I tape my right eye... I didn't find any disadvantage to shooting handguns with my left eye.

I realize this won't work if I want to shoot multigun <_< Maybe I need to retrain and then shoot everything with my left glass taped...

Haven't tried being left-handed ;)

I'm left eye dominate, right handed.. it seems like quite a few people are.

For 3 Gun.. I use a scope, and don't have any issue, with the shotgun, I close my left eye, only when using my sights for long slug shots.

And pistol, I used to shoot with both eyes, I've gone against the grain and close my left eye now.

You can try taping your LEFT eye when you shoot. This will eventually get you used to shooting/seeing with your right eye.

There are also eye exercises you can do to help strengthen your right eye. Google should give you some answers also.

Ah...more of us 'weirdos' out there than I thought :cheers: I shoot rifle with scope and both eyes open (finally after a few years of trying!) For using the iron on rifle, I have to close my left eye, very tiring after a few shooting positions in a long range stage. Pistol both eyes open but I know I am using my left eye to see the front sight. Shotgun is hit or miss, someday I can see down the rib with both eyes open, sometime both eyes are fighting and I see two beads. All I can suggest is to try keep both eyes open rather than closing the left one, it takes a long time to retrain the brain.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m also a member of the cross dominance mutant group. While I use optics for rifle, I’m stuck using irons for my shotgun. I use my right eye for rifle and shotgun but have to close my left eye with the shotgun. I use the flip up cap on my rifle scope to cover my left eye so I can keep both eyes open. I’m fortunate that I can still see pretty clearly with my right eye but since you cannot, you might want to try shooting left handed.

There was one shotgun stage where we had to shoot weak handed and it was amazing how much better things looked using my dominant eye. Too bad it feels akward for me to shoot left handed.

I am right handed and left eye dominant as well. What I do is shoot pistol right handed and shotgun, rifle, and bow left handed. It just seems normal to do it that way to me.

Brian

Same here. Do you close your right eye or put tape/dots on your glasses?

DaG