Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Ejector on an STI Edge

Jack Suber

A friend of mine called me today and said that he had broken his ejector on his STI. The ejector sheared off at the pins. He has a new ejector and was trying to install it. He told me that he drifted the retention pin out but the sheared off pin of the ejector will not come out of the frame. He has asked for my help in getting it out. I am trying to remember if the slot in which the ejector sets in the frame goes all the way through the frame, allowing someone to drift it out from underneath (i.e removing the grip and using a punch to knock it out from inside)? I can't rememeber and I don't want to tear one of mine down if I can help it. If it can't be knocked out from underneath, any suggestions as to how to get it out? Mine have never been pinned and will fall out very easily if I remove the slide and hold the gun upside down. He said he even held it upside down and tapped on the frame some, but it would comeout. He has never taken the lower of an Edge apart so I can't get him to verify if it can be knocked out from underneath. If it can be done this way, I will teach him how to completely disassemble and reassmeble the Edge tomorrow. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can see where that would be a bummer to get out. Try compressed as Howard says, but make sure he has glasses on. You also might me be able to freeze the top by using some compressed air from a can and tipping it upside down and spraying. That might contract both pieces enough to let the high pressure air blow it out. I don't even want to talk about drills. :)

Good Luck

First, I'd try spraying the pin with a good penetrating oil like Kroil. Second, I'd try to put the whole frame in the coldest freezer I could find overnight. Then try gently drifting out the pin. the combination of lubrication and contraction might be enough to get it out.

Ray

What do you do when broken shaft spins in the blind hole? I can see the retaining pin creating just enough burr on the ejector shaft hole to let it spin but not come out. I have to say remove grip and drill a tiny hole from other side

It would be REALLY hard to drill from the bottom, the hole would end up in the mag channel of the frame on a very steel angle. It could be done, but not without a good mill.

The steel in ejectors is not all that hard...so it can be drilled and removed with an easyout...it will have to be done on a mill.

I have removed a broken one by using a tiny slitting saw and a tiny screwdriver, it did make a small cut in the top of the rail but no ill efects.

If you cut a clean slot in the post and use a hollow ground screwdriver you can pull as you rotate the pin. if its not too tight this may work.

Hope you get it out!!

Jim

I've never done it, but I'd probably epoxy a small rod or used drill (after carefully applying release agent to the surrounding metal), let it set up and try to tease it out. If that didn't work I'd drill it.

Did it break off flush with frame? Or did it break off below retaining pin hole?

If it broke below the retaining pin hole, this job could be frustrating. It could sit there and spin but not come out because of burr on the retaining pin hole.

Lets know how you get it out. If anybody comes up with simple method I'm sure it would make it to the Brownells, gunsmith kinks.

Try posting over at the 1911 forum. gunsmith.

It has to be drilled out with a carbide bit.

I just had to do this after someone else attempted basically all the other suggestions. <_< It actually drilled out fairly easily (using a mill, of course).

Well, it apparently just came out today with a little playing with a pick. No idea what made it mreak but apparently this is the second one. Sounds like it needs to be sent back for a check. Thanks for all the feedback.

Jack

Well, it apparently just came out today with a little playing with a pick. No idea what made it mreak but apparently this is the second one. Sounds like it needs to be sent back for a check. Thanks for all the feedback.

Jack

I wonder if they are going in on a bind. That should be a low stress part.

Now you gone and done it John.

You made the secret Gunsmith bad person list.

Your pistols will now begin developing unexplaned problems that you will be unable to figure out or fix.

I see your firearms spending a great deal of time away from you.

Guess you could buy a Glock, if you do just be sure not to piss off the Euero Gunsmiths or Reloading Guild or you could be down to bows & arrows.

(Sinefeld voice on) Not that theres anything wrong with that.

I just like giving crap to folks who know how to do things properly. Of course, I once used a Skil saw to cut drywall before I learned you could just score and snap it, live and learn. I can pretty much guarantee I'll be chiseling epoxy off of some expensive firearm someday...some things you just have to learn yourself. :D

I am not a "Gunsmith" so I guess I don't have to have my words for lunch. John is the reason they don't send donkeys to college!

I am glad you got it out with a pick. I have a good idea of why it broke, but I don't dare tell anyone about it for fear of hurting someone's feelings........................