Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Josh, don't expect anything, and you'll never be disappointed. The only way to know what you'll get in return is if its offered.

KEYWORD: offered.

ROing is not something you barter with. Most of the time, the experience is well worth the effort, alone. You have to go into it with an open mind, and realize that you are getting the benefit of observing some of the best and worst ways of shooting whatever stage you are running. You can take that and look at it as shortening the learning curve, or you can take it and look at it as, that was 3 days you'll never get back. If your veiw is the latter, you're better off not ROing.

my 2cents, Trapr

Wow what do think changed since practice today??? I think I said R.O.ing was the best way to see ALL SORTS of ways to shoot the same stage, AS LONG AS YOU LOOK AT IT LIKE A LEARNING EXPERIENCE. Do you think I LIE????? HAVE YOU BEEN DOING YOUR DRY PRACTICE?????? I don't lie to you nor do I do "cleaning projects" and Trapr doesn't either, so eat your peas and DO the drills I gave you!!! I will see you Sunday to "correct" all the bad carmma you seem to carry with you!

REMEMBER WHAT YOU LEARNED TODAY!!! Kurt " I hate that guy" Miller

I just got my certificate for level 1 range officer and I just wanted to know what one would expect for helping to set up and work a match? Is free room, free entry and free food too much to expect? Or should I just do it for nothing?

What you should expect for helping to set up and work a match is a lot of work, no appreciation, blame for everything that goes wrong and the satisfaction of knowing you did a great job and got to learn how and how not to shoot a stage. Free room, free entry and free food are offered at some matches but most likely you will want to have a little more experience before you volunteer for an Area match or the Nationals.

Working as an RO at any level can be a lot of fun and educational but if you expect any more than that you will be disappointed.

Thanks for volunteering!

:cheers:

Wooh. you guys are chewin' me up over here. You guys know this sport is very expensive and I need all the free-beeee's I can get. I've helped several times at my local club and done it with no expectation of anything. But I did take the range officer class so I could be more involved. It's not my fault that some awsome people like my good friends JJ and Denise are willing to show thier appreciation. So for that I'll drive across the state to help. I think if you have big sponsores, It's mighty nice of them to help.Hey why don't you sign up to devote your free time to them for help. Yeah that's right what ever!!!

If we all had the attitude that if they want me to RO they better pay me, USPSA shooting would soon be a memory. The first thing you need to remember is this is a VOLUNTEER sport. If everyone had to be paid entry fees would be outrageous.

You have to be willing to give back something not just take.

Josh, the question is........would you have driven over for your awesome friends JJ and Denise if they hadn't offered their appreciation.

I'm not chewin'........your statement just seemed, a bit arrogant. To EXPECT, some kind of compensation for ROing is ROing for the wrong reason.

And remember Kurt and I already know what your response will be, because we placed it into your thought waves. :blink:

Trapr

Wooh. you guys are chewin' me up over here. You guys know this sport is very expensive and I need all the free-beeee's I can get. I've helped several times at my local club and done it with no expectation of anything. But I did take the range officer class so I could be more involved. It's not my fault that some awsome people like my good friends JJ and Denise are willing to show thier appreciation. So for that I'll drive across the state to help. I think if you have big sponsores, It's mighty nice of them to help.Hey why don't you sign up to devote your free time to them for help. Yeah that's right what ever!!!

:D

Edited by Merlin Orr

I only became an RO a few months ago and I did it because I wanted to be able to help my local club.

We have a healthy turn out every month and always seem to have a bunch of newbies to run.

There aren't always enough RO's to run as many squads as are needed.

I won't lecture you about the virtues of volunteerism and the greater good.

600 other people will be happy to do that.

I'm sure you went to the effort and expense of becoming an RO for all the right reasons.

There aren't a lot of perks for being an RO but there are a few from time to time.

Match directors like to show their appreciation for your work as best they can.

Some matches are set up such that RO's shoot free or for a discounted entry fee.

I have seen matches that had a separate prize table for the RO's

Then there is the biggie.

Special Parking Privileges. ;)

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Okay, here is how it goes for Mi Amigo "heavymetalMAN"!!! He is the FIRST to volunteer his time for the local matches, and He works darn hard! He is the first to show up and one of the last to leave....usually to my place to drink cider, mead, and homebrew!! His question is geared more twards really big matches, like RM3G and J.J. 3-Gun, that ARE NOT USPSA! We all know that taking 5 days off to help set up and run a BIG 3day match is a bit beyond the call of "volunteer" He is just triing to see what is about ususall Don't people usually get some kind of room and board for the Nationals?? This is what he is asking, NOT, "now I is an R.O. and you all owe me".! so Help him out! KURTM

As a rule of thumb.......at the major matches, the RO's tend to do ALOT more than just RO. (been there myself). I am not sure what the norm is presently for USPSA nationals but they used pay for your room, lunch, travel, shoot at least part of the match. Then have an RO banquet at some point during the match. If they had a back to back type set up, you could work one and shoot the other free. You also got some sort of gift for helping out at the match as well.

From what I've seen at the IMGA type matches, it has been typically the same to a point. room and some meals maybe, shoot the match for free...trip the to prize table (or trip to the RO prize table). Free RO shirts. SOmetimes a sponsor will donate gifts specifically for the RO's. You may get some or all of the above, maybe more......depending on the match and MD.

From what I've seen inthe past from working matches, and shooting matches....the RO's typically do a lot of work and anything they get really will not account for the hours they put in. And they have to put up with competitors like me.

Yeah, I can understand how some may have taken your post wrong...."whats in it for me", and it may not have been a question to ask, or atleast a very hard question to ask. I guess some think it is the question that shouldnt be asked.....but needs to be, if only from an informational standpoint. (so....I believe it's a good question to ask)

When I was MD.....I knew the value of my RO's and treated them with the respect they deserved and treated them very well, even if it meant coming out of my pocket. I wanted them to know they were VERY appreciated.....AND that I wanted them to help the next year as well.

Yeah.......as a volunteer, do your job as best you can, dont expect anything and that will detemine your success......as an MD, the way you show your graditude to you RO's, Sponsors and competitors determines your success.

Fair enough????

Edited by TRUBL

I RO'd a couple of RM3G matches in Raton and besides the opportunity to learn all "ways to skin the same cat", seeing some of the best shooters out there, I also got to meet everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, since all competitors must go through my stage :) Oh, I forgot, free room and a few darn good dinners prepared by the Wong's brothers :D

Josh, the question is........would you have driven over for your awesome friends JJ and Denise if they hadn't offered their appreciation.

I'm not chewin'........your statement just seemed, a bit arrogant. To EXPECT, some kind of compensation for ROing is ROing for the wrong reason.

And remember Kurt and I already know what your response will be, because we placed it into your thought waves. :blink:

Trapr

waaa waaa waaa waaa waaa naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa :surprise:

Okay, here is how it goes for Mi Amigo "heavymetalMAN"!!! He is the FIRST to volunteer his time for the local matches, and He works darn hard! He is the first to show up and one of the last to leave....usually to my place to drink cider, mead, and homebrew!! His question is geared more twards really big matches, like RM3G and J.J. 3-Gun, that ARE NOT USPSA! We all know that taking 5 days off to help set up and run a BIG 3day match is a bit beyond the call of "volunteer" He is just triing to see what is about ususall Don't people usually get some kind of room and board for the Nationals?? This is what he is asking, NOT, "now I is an R.O. and you all owe me".! so Help him out! KURTM

Thank you bra, I am glad to help and I expect nothing. Kurt u should be a spokesperson, I was going to say fork off, but u know how to sugar coat things. SHAKE AND BAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

From what I've seen at the IMGA type matches, it has been typically the same to a point. room and some meals maybe, shoot the match for free...trip the to prize table (or trip to the RO prize table). Free RO shirts. SOmetimes a sponsor will donate gifts specifically for the RO's. You may get some or all of the above, maybe more......depending on the match and MD.

All of the above is true for USPSA "majors", too. Example, the Area-1 multigun match last month, we did most of that for our ROs (including lodging for outatowners)

B