Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inexpensive reloading press?

550/550B is not a progressive nor can it be upgraded to progressive... Dang it!!!! :)

I thought it IS progressive...you just have to manually rotate the turret.

OK... :)

On the 550, you don't rotate the "turret," you rotate the Shellplate. Massive difference.

Funny timing on seeing this thread... I just got off the phone with a guy who talked to me about a year ago, and ended up deciding not to spend the extra money on the Dillon and got the Lee instead. Well he finally got tired of messing with it and sold it on Ebay. So today he ordered a 550 from me.

be

I cannot afford a Dillon 550B press right now, or any time in the future. I have never reloaded before, but am mechanically inclined.

What are my options (besides buying manufactured ammo)? I have been doign this for years, and based on prices today, I need an alternative.

RCBS, Lee who else makes presses, or does someone have something capable of loading .40 S&W they are willing to part with?

I am looking to spend no more than $200 right now. I plan to buy the components of the ammunition in different purchases over the next three months.

Or is the consensus that I should await the Dillon 550B?

Make it easy on yourself - buy a square d by dillon $319.00 www.dillonprecision.com

when it breaks - or should I say when you break it

they send you all the parts for free

oh yea, they also finance the purchase for your

I'd wait and save my money.. get the SDB or the 550. I have 10's of thousands thru my 550 and it still keeps a ticking.

If you are in a real hurry try selling some blood.. or maybe a Kidney....hell of you sell a Kidney you could probably afford a 650 :)

Joe

I'd wait and save my money.. get the SDB or the 550. I have 10's of thousands thru my 550 and it still keeps a ticking.

If you are in a real hurry try selling some blood.. or maybe a Kidney....hell of you sell a Kidney you could probably afford a 650 :)

That's a different twist on the blue vs. red debates..... :D

Dillon equipment is worth the extra effort; it just works well.

If your new to reloading, save your money Make a friend who already has a set up. Its cheaper to go in with a friend to cut cost even more. ( buy mass amounts of powder lead and primers.) I tried the cheap way thinking I got this great deal for $50.00 I got a lee 1000 progressive. It was funny shooting a match with that many squibs. I not knockin' the Lee press, but when you can load 600 rounds an hour vs. my 50 an hour, I'd take a Dillon. With the price of bullets these days. buy factory ammo. Face it if you had the money reloadings great, but if you poor like me you better find someone who has the set-up. :cheers:

Looks like its pretty well covered, but do what you have to do to get a Dillon of some sort. My 550 is over 20 years old and well used, still going strong.

Robin

Hey Robin,

Did you have to go thur all the refits for the powder drop? My 550 is also 20+ years old and for a while it seemed like Dillon was sending me a package once a week. Still have to give them the big thumps up, they worked on it til it worked right.

Thanks for all the info fellas, looks like this is going to be further out in the future now. I saw my back doctor again on Tuesday, and things aren't looking good. There is a big chance I will have to have my back fused. So my return to USPSA will be a while in the future! I should know more in a week or two, when they do another MRI.