Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A iron sights

elenius

I'm getting an M1A scout on Fri :cheers:

So... I was wondering what kind of iron sights you all like on the M1A for IPSC rifle/3-gun. Seems to me like the rear peep sight is too small to use for runnin' and gunnin'.

I checked out a SOCOM which has different sights -- A larger peep which seems like it might work, and also a much fatter front sight, which seemed kind of useless to me for long range shooting.

Also looked at the match rifles which have the flip-up selectable rear sight, but the second one is even smaller. I'm sure it's great at long ranges, but still no solution for short range stuff.

Is there a "best of all worlds" solution that works for both fast close range gunning and long range precision? If there was a flip-up type peep sight which had the large SOCOM one and the regular one, that might work. Or a notch on top of the peep? Or just a notch sight, period? Or should I just aim on top of the peep for fast shooting? Or is it just not a problem once I've learned how to aquire it quickly?

I put a NM front sight on my SOCOM II. Helped out a lot on the long range stuff. The fat tritium front sight it came with made it worthless beyond 75 yards on any target smaller than an elephant.

Are you planning on doing anything with the trigger, recoil spring guide rod or gas plug?

Great platform and SA gives great customer support if you want work done on it.

Donn

The standard battle sight should be just fine. Practice is the key. Does the scout have a full length sight radius, or is it shorter?

It's an 18" barrel. I've heard good things about the scout for 3-gun. The regular 22" feel sooo big and awkward to me.

I put a NM front sight on my SOCOM II. Helped out a lot on the long range stuff. The fat tritium front sight it came with made it worthless beyond 75 yards on any target smaller than an elephant.

Yes, I do like the front sight, I was just concerned about the rear one...

So the SOCOM rear sight works well with the NM front? Is this the same as the standard front that's on my scout?

Are you planning on doing anything with the trigger, recoil spring guide rod or gas plug?

I don't know. Should I? :unsure:

Edited by elenius

I have a scout. I suggest thinning the front sight down to about .050 wide and leaving the rear alone.

and after that....................shoot it abunch !!!

Bill H.

If the SOCOM is anything like the rest (I know the break and gas system is different) the sight is dovetailed onto the break. If it is you should be able to get the NM sight from Brownells.

Hop

Edited by hopalong

your 18" should be fine, I've shot an 18" AR with the front site moved out to the muzzle and never had issues with it. your 18" m1a will be about th same in sight radius.

Thin the front post to at least .050, as said earlier, then shoot it alot.

Enjoy the rifle, i've got a similar one being made for the same purpose.

See ya around, Trapr

I got the NM front sight, rubber butt pad and a NM guide rod from Springfield. If you send them your factory trigger group they will work on it and get it to 3.5 - 4 lbs. for around $35. A lot cheaper than the $300+ white feather trigger group. Terry Bowers will hook you up: terryb@springfield-armory.com.

I also put the adustable gas plug in, probably over doing it, but once I got it tweaked it runs great, and reduced the recoil. I have a hard time with it out past 200 (indian not the arrow) but a buddy I shoot with who's much better nails 10" plates with it out to around 250m with ease.

I got the NM front sight, rubber butt pad and a NM guide rod from Springfield. If you send them your factory trigger group they will work on it and get it to 3.5 - 4 lbs. for around $35. A lot cheaper than the $300+ white feather trigger group. Terry Bowers will hook you up: terryb@springfield-armory.com.

I also put the adustable gas plug in, probably over doing it, but once I got it tweaked it runs great, and reduced the recoil. I have a hard time with it out past 200 (indian not the arrow) but a buddy I shoot with who's much better nails 10" plates with it out to around 250m with ease.

Interesting, I thought 4.5 lbs was the lowest it could safely go. Just a myth?

The scout has the NM front sight. What difference does the NM guide rod make?

Oh wow! did you open a can of worms!!

4.5# triggers?? I run my rifles just around #3, have for years!

The NM op rod in and of itself does NOTHING, as does the NM spring guide.

All the SOCOMS I have played with need a MUCH taller front sight that the standard NM sight. I have had to custom make them! Let Me know which front sight works, and where you get it as it would save me mucho time!

There are 3 different widths of NM front sights, wich one are you guys refering to???

The NM stamp only means that the part is within spec. NOTHING more or less! It is all the bedding and tunning that happens AFTER all the parts are in spec that makes the thing work!

I think you will love your new M1A Scout and if you need it, I have found that around #25 of down tension work very well on the Scouts when bedded! KURTMK

The 4 1/2 pound trigger is mandated by the CMP and NRA for Service Rifle competition. In other competition, with no such restriction, lower would not be a problem. Stock springs would likely be changed. I've only set them up for Highpower shooting not 3 gun.