Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concentration during stage

TexAg08

Ok, so today I shot my second ever match in USPSA. Ive put over 2500 rounds through my first ever pistol. I practice sight focus and sight tracking every time I go to the range and have noticed slight improvement in sight tracking. I also dry fire every other night for about 30 minutes and have gotten trigger control down really well. So back to topic, Ive noticed that when I shoot a stage that everything is subconscious, in other words I cant visually recall the stage and tell how my sight tracking was or were my shots went. Also, while running the stage I have a hard time actually concentrating on what my sight picture is. Im pretty much just pointing and aiming, I think :blink: . When yall are shooting a stage are yall able to slow everything down and see exactly whats happening or is it just muscle memory taking over and doing as you train? I know this is only my second match but Im a born perfectionist and always trying to perfect myself especially when im competeting.

Here's a cool tool to help. http://www.andersonshooting.com/Stage%20An...ship%20Plan.pdf. Mental visualization is HUGE. I see (and now try to copy) some pretty fair shooters prepare mentally. Once the walk through is done it's common to see them continue with mental images only. It's easy to talk about but you REALLY have to practice the technique. It works

Jim

Aside from buying BE's book as others have suggested, I'd say you may consider examining how you phrased the question and what the tells you. Concentration isn't the goal, awareness is. Not that I can do this all the time, but when you're really shooting well, you'll be aware of what's happening while you're shooting....you'll see the sights dance, feel a change in the wind on your face, hear the timer go off on the next bay, yell at yourself for going so slow and be able to pay enough attention to not cross a fault line all at the same time. As it becomes necessary you'll FOCUS on some things more than others, like the front sight on a really tight shot, but you will still be aware of the other things. If you're concentrating, in the classic sense, you would have excluded everything except that which you are concentrating on. Reminds me, I need to go order Steve's new book:)

If you're "pretty much just pointing and shooting" then I think that explains a lot. It isn't exactly a sustainable method in shooting.

Never forget one thing - you control you. You control what you allow yourself to see, and by virtue of that how you shoot.

The whole indexing thing (from practice) is always good and works great as a standby. But it really only allows you to be in a better position so that you see what you need to see quicker.

None of this stuff is independent of each other. If you practice well (and right) then your body gets the feel for being where it needs to be and feeling what it needs to feel, which allows you to better see what you need to see, and see it quicker. Which leads to faster times with better scores.

I don't think that memory of a stage is crucial. I don't remember a lot of crap that happens in a stage. I do however know that when I'm in a stage, if things are going proper, then it's just what I need to see. Honestly, it's times like those where I do remember the least because if what I'm seeing is spot on then my mind feels no need to process anything more beyond that.

J

You may also find Burkett's viedo (volume 3, I believe) helpful -- interview with BEnos. He explains some of the ideas discussed in the book. It was easier for me to understand the written description after I'd heard it described verbally.

Also, from someone else who's fairly new to USPSA competition, you may find it helpful to proceed (in practice) at a pace that's slower than you might think is optimal, at least for now.

I find that when I try to really hustle, my head gets scrambled, and that's when I make mistakes -- insufficient visual patience leads to bad shots. If I breathe, make sure all the fundamentals are coordinated, know that I see the front sight about where I want it ... the overall result is much better.

YMMV. Find your own rhythm and mindset.

With just 2K rds downrange, you really should be concentrating, very much. There is a lot to remember at your second USPSA match including safety and the basics of shooting well. As said above then you evolve into a subconscious awareness to begin to shoot at your highest level.

Everything like muzzle direction, trigger prep and control, sight alignment, etc needs to become sort of a conditioned reflex before you can do this. Brians book can help you get there if you let it.

Are you shooting 90% A's? If not work on that and a lot will start to happen.

Edited by BSeevers

Im sorry if my first post sounded a lil choppy, but i meant to emphasize that it doesnt seem that im concetrating on sight tracking or alignment. I am however completely aware of my surrounding and whether my finger is off the trigger and where my gun is pointing. Im beginning to think that my problem is that im going to fast for my skill level. As far as shooting 90% A's, I honestly dont know because when I get done shooting my stage im usually right back to score keeping for other people and I never take a look at my score card.

Im sorry if my first post sounded a lil choppy, but i meant to emphasize that it doesnt seem that im concetrating on sight tracking or alignment. I am however completely aware of my surrounding and whether my finger is off the trigger and where my gun is pointing. Im beginning to think that my problem is that im going to fast for my skill level. As far as shooting 90% A's, I honestly dont know because when I get done shooting my stage im usually right back to score keeping for other people and I never take a look at my score card.

There is another thread running right now called Perception of Speed. I would put a link in here but I am not that "with it". In there a gentleman had a quote that went something like this, "the perception of speed is the presence of chaos". That may not be word for word, but you get the drift. If you feel like you are going fast, it is usually because you are out of control or neglecting certain skills that are necessary for a good performance.

I took this to heart for the match last weekend to give it a try. It worked great! I never once felt like I was rushing and I always felt in control and new what I was going to do next. There was one stage that had some pretty long shots and some very tight steel shots (no shoots behind them and hard cover in front). I didn't drop a single point and only took one shot at each steel. I wasn't the fastest on that stage, but I had enough points to end up third or fourth overall. I was happy.

Don't do like I did and waste the first six months of your shooting career trying to go fast. Never squeeze (notice I didn't say pull) the trigger without an acceptable sight picture, move smooth, and most of all be safe. With that and a little dry fire, you will make very rapid progress.

TG

If you're "pretty much just pointing and shooting" then I think that explains a lot. It isn't exactly a sustainable method in shooting.

Never forget one thing - you control you. You control what you allow yourself to see, and by virtue of that how you shoot.

The whole indexing thing (from practice) is always good and works great as a standby. But it really only allows you to be in a better position so that you see what you need to see quicker.

None of this stuff is independent of each other. If you practice well (and right) then your body gets the feel for being where it needs to be and feeling what it needs to feel, which allows you to better see what you need to see, and see it quicker. Which leads to faster times with better scores.

I don't think that memory of a stage is crucial. I don't remember a lot of crap that happens in a stage. I do however know that when I'm in a stage, if things are going proper, then it's just what I need to see. Honestly, it's times like those where I do remember the least because if what I'm seeing is spot on then my mind feels no need to process anything more beyond that.

J

There is another thread running right now called Perception of Speed.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50842

In there a gentleman had a quote that went something like this, "the perception of speed is the presence of chaos". That may not be word for word, but you get the drift. If you feel like you are going fast, it is usually because you are out of control or neglecting certain skills that are necessary for a good performance.

I took this to heart for the match last weekend to give it a try. It worked great! I never once felt like I was rushing and I always felt in control and new what I was going to do next. There was one stage that had some pretty long shots and some very tight steel shots (no shoots behind them and hard cover in front). I didn't drop a single point and only took one shot at each steel. I wasn't the fastest on that stage, but I had enough points to end up third or fourth overall. I was happy.

Don't do like I did and waste the first six months of your shooting career trying to go fast. Never squeeze (notice I didn't say pull) the trigger without an acceptable sight picture, move smooth, and most of all be safe. With that and a little dry fire, you will make very rapid progress.

TG

Really good stuff.

be