Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Needed for First Match

moverton

I am planning on shooting my first match on Saturday. I shoot a Sig 229 40 cal. Would someone suggest what brand and ammo would be the best? I will be shooting at oak Ridge Sportsman's Association. Any guidance is very much appreciated.

WWB (Winchester White Box) from Wal-Mart? The 165 gr seems to shoot a little softer than the 180 gr.

What have you been using for practice ammo? If it runs well that might be a good choice.

With that gun, (and your probable holster set up) you will be shooting Production division, which doesn't recognize Major scoring.

Just get good ammo that you can afford.....if you stick with this sport you will have plenty of opportunity to get overwhelmed by little stuff.

FY42385

Unless you're going to shoot Limited or Limited-10 (no real reason to do that) Major doesn't matter. What you want, is whatever you know works well in your gun. Try to find out how many stages they'll shoot, take that number, multiply it by 30 and then add maybe 50%. For example, if you're going to shoot four stages you'd want something like 180rds. That way you've got enough to get through the match, plus some in case you have to reshoot a stage or two, and still have all your mags full on the last stage. It's a lot better to have some left over than worry at the start of a stage that you barely have enough to get by.

Factory ammo,,, American eagle 165's or Winchester 165's both are much milder than either the 180's or 155's, But if you are shooting tommorrow it's a little late to be playing the ammo game, use what you have been using.

Factory ammo,,, American eagle 165's or Winchester 165's both are much milder than either the 180's or 155's, But if you are shooting tommorrow it's a little late to be playing the ammo game, use what you have been using.

FWIW, I did some chrono testing on WWB before Nationals. 180 gr FMJ made Major+ in both

a G22 and G35 (stock barrels). 165 gr FMJ made major in the 35, but was minor in the 22.

It was a handful but for my first time I was going very fast (about the speed of a turtle :D). But I had a great time. I might go back this coming weekend and shoot the steel match. I think I have been bitten by the bug.

Those people in my squad were super. Giving me advice about how to shoot the stage and answering all my questions.

I might go back this coming weekend and shoot the steel match. I think I have been bitten by the bug.

Those people in my squad were super. Giving me advice about how to shoot the stage and answering all my questions.

For sure good back this weekend... Shooting Steel is fun... I am going to a steel plate tonight @ the local range.. Glad your first match worked out OK for you... :unsure::unsure::unsure: