Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil and mainspring recomendation for CZ 75/85

SLM

I'm running my CZ-85 in USPSA Production and need new mag springs (nosedives, etc). While I'm at it I'm going to replace the recoil spring and mainspring also. My load is 3.2gr Titegroup or Solo 1000 behind 147's. What weight springs seem to be the most popular/"ticket"? :cheers:

edit: Is ISMI out of business? I've tried to e-mail and call them and haven't gotten any response.

Edited by SLM

You gave go to www.ghostholster.com and email Angus. I am sure he will have an opinion on what will work. I shot a 75B with 147gr. Atlanta Arms ammo. I am using an 11lb reoil spring with a 15 lb mainspring. I like it real well.

Roger

Edited by cztn

When I was shooting my CZ I used the 15lb mainspring and the stock recoil. The stock recoil spring is softer then its rated for anyway but it seems to wear slower then the replacements. Also, in my experience, the replacements use thinner wire and I had a couple bind on the half length guide rod.

Just like cztn said, give Angus a call and pick up some 15lb mainsprings and 11lb recoil springs. With a light production load you don't need much of a recoil spring (11 has worked perfectly for me). The 15lb mainspring is nice for the DA trigger pull, and some people even cut coils off of that. I'd suggest sticking with the 15lb stock spring just because the light ones lend to light primer strikes after a while.

wolffe or Angus are your best sources for springs..few others out there..like Wilson make a calibration pack..

for my competition gun..I am using a 16# hammer spring cut 2 to 3 coils. but that will take some trial on your part to see if that is reliable in your gun, recoil spring is either an 11# or 12#. my carry gun is using a stock 15# hammer spring and a 14# recoil spring.

wolffe or Angus are your best sources for springs..few others out there..like Wilson make a calibration pack..

for my competition gun..I am using a 16# hammer spring cut 2 to 3 coils. but that will take some trial on your part to see if that is reliable in your gun, recoil spring is either an 11# or 12#. my carry gun is using a stock 15# hammer spring and a 14# recoil spring.

agree - I think Angus uses the increased strength mag springs.

"Mainspring" used above means: hammer spring.

You REALLY want to use a lighter spring as it controls the DA trigger pull. You might to switch to RELIABLE primers if you lower the spring weight - such as Federal brand.

I e-mailed Angus thru the contact section of ghostholster.com a few days ago to see what he thought. So far I haven't heard back though.

While I'm asking... What mag springs? +5's or +10's? I'm running two factory 10 round mags with the plastic bases and my others are factory standard capacity ones.

I e-mailed Angus thru the contact section of ghostholster.com a few days ago to see what he thought. So far I haven't heard back though.

While I'm asking... What mag springs? +5's or +10's? I'm running two factory 10 round mags with the plastic bases and my others are factory standard capacity ones.

+1 on asking Angus and he'll have some good advice to share.

I believe his website does mention that he is moving his shop and that may be why you haven't heard from him yet.

You REALLY want to use a lighter spring as it controls the DA trigger pull. You might to switch to RELIABLE primers if you lower the spring weight - such as Federal brand.
True, but they're still hard to come by. OTOH, my two 75Bs with factory hammer springs are 100% with WSR and Fed 205 primers. Sometimes you gotta make choices. :)

Thanks for the help. I still haven't heard back from Angus. Must be really busy with the move. Totally understandable. I guess I'll give the 15lb hammer and 11lb recoil springs a shot. I'm still not sure what mag springs to get for the factory 10 round mags with the long plastic base on them. I guess I could cut a couple coils off if they are too strong, yes? :blink:

for the 10rd mags, use their own springs or you are going to have to experiment with cutting others down. I found that the Magnum Research Baby Eagle 10 rounders are better mags with springs that last for ever.

My 15lb mainspring lights up WSP's just fine, federals shouldn't be required. I think the ligher recoils are not necessary, but try it out and make your own decission.

for the 10rd mags, use their own springs or you are going to have to experiment with cutting others down. I found that the Magnum Research Baby Eagle 10 rounders are better mags with springs that last for ever.

It's actually the springs in the factory 10 round mags that are giving the trouble. They really haven't been shot that much but the only two problems I've had with the gun have come from one of the two. I'd try a couple other mags but this gun is a true Pre-B model and it's a real crap shoot with non-CZ mags. EAA mags that I have that work just fine in my "B" won't even go in this gun. The grip frame is smaller on the pre-B guns. Maybe I'll just get the standard or +5%'s for those two then.

My 15lb mainspring lights up WSP's just fine, federals shouldn't be required. I think the ligher recoils are not necessary, but try it out and make your own decission.

Glad to hear it. I'm using WSP's for my comp loads and CCI's for my range loads but those won't be going through this gun anyway.

Thanks again! :cheers:

I broke down and called Angus last Friday. Nice guy to talk to and very helpful with all my spring questions. I ordered my springs while I was on the phone with him and he said they'd ship them out that day or Saturday so I'd have them by the 28th. Can't beat that kind of service! :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I found that when I did have my Shadow, the factory 10rd mags would nose dive (the whole stack sometimes), if a little bit of dirt or sand got in them. I was using 147gr montana, similiar to factory length, and about 134pf. I would think a +5% spring would do the trick.., wouldn't a +10% slow the slide down a little by the next round rubbing under the slide, maybe enough to induce FTF?

The tanfoglio mags I recieved have a slight bend in them on the top coil. This may help reduce the chances of FTF or nose dives.