Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should Minor Scoring "B" hits count as 4 points?

996fan2007

The B zone is smaller and a more difficult target than the C zone. The scoring should reflect that.

Who tends to shoot Minor and not in Production? Could it be women (like my wife)? Heaven forbid we do anything to encourage ACCURACY or a segment of shooters who could grow the sport.....oops....maybe overrating the impact.

OK. In all honesty I don't think it's a big enough deal to even worry about. I don't think minor shooters will suddenly switch to only shooting "heads" to get the big win, and most of the B hits I see that don't involve lots of hardcover are by accident. I'd be agreeable if B/minor = 4 points, but I won't lose sleep if it doesn't.

What about leaving the upper A/B scoring the same but making the Upper A bigger, say ~1/2" in from the border on all sides?

Then you are changing the way the target is stamped which means all the licensed target makers would have to change the way the target is made. They have only recently fixed the shoulder dimension after years of having it incorrect from some makers. Also this is an ISPC Metric target not a USPSA exclusive target.

• 6 years later...

Larger A-zone in the head box...point values stay the same.

Make it 3x3 instead of 4x2

It seems that the Bodies of targets (and Amoebas) are set up for more tolerances in vertical variance, rather than horizontal variance. The head should reflect the same

Edited by jabbermurph

Any chance we can resurrect this discussion? No that we have more people shooting production I would like to see whether the majority would favor making a change.

Not only are there more production shooters but with the new 8-shot revolver rule change (8-shot revolvers permitted but scored minor) perhaps now would be a good time to revisit the subject.

I think it would give a lot of people "free points"

A lot of people shooting on the edge of control that I see have one on the body and one in the head often. That's kind of reverse rewarding?

Yes! I was just about to post the same argument. Miss a little and only get 3 points... miss a little more and get 4 points?!

I think the points system is just fine as it is. ... I would like us to just do away with the "B" zone and make it a "C" zone. Would somewhat speed up scoring and reduce confusion. It's been many years since B zone meant anything. I'd like us to go to the two A zones, a B zone (current C + current B ) and a C zone (current D). Or just let us call the "B" a "C" when calling out scores....

Too often your going along "2 Alpha, Alpha Charlie, 2 Charlie, Bravo Charlie" ... then you get that "wait, what?!" from the guy writing scores...

-rvb

[d'oh, just realized how old this thread is...]

Edited by rvb