Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Magazines

• 1 month later...

Only full magazines go in the mag pouch or left rear pants pocket. Partials go in the left FRONT pants pocket. Hey, it works for me. And part of my LAMR ritual is checking the witness holes on any magazine I might have to use during the stage.

Not that this has ever happened to me.... :wacko: ....but my little ritual is to go and load up all of my mags immediately after shooting a stage. That way I don't forget. There is no such thing as an unloaded or half-empty magazine in my range bag or on my belt during a match.

Yes, with all those mags and rounds to keep track of, some sort of a system is definitely a good thing. Since I'm "ol school," and never felt comfortable leaving fully loaded 20 round mags laying around all day long, after each stage - I'd empty and clean all mags used on the previous stage. I'd then make sure every mag I would use was "pre-loaded" with 15 rounds; then when I was fourth from being up I'd top them all off and only then would they go into my belt.

Nevertheless, you still have to remember to completely load the gun before the LAMR command. Once, on Tuesday night steel, I managed to start a stage with a full mag in the gun, but no round in the chamber. Felt fairly silly as I was trying to figure out just what in the hell was going on.

;)

make sure that they're loaded with the right ammo too! :huh: i was shooting 2 guns at a match (lim-10 in 40 s&w and open with 38 supercomp). between directing the match :( , taping, <_< and etc, i got some what distracted :unsure: . i forgot to top off a mag in one stage :angry: and ran dry which threw me, and in another stage a 38sc round found its way into my 40 mag :wacko: ! my carelessness cost me a second place finish rather than first, but could've turn out way worse :ph34r: !

• 3 months later...

Make sure it's your mag too! Many years ago after shooting a stage, someone handed my Caspian mags back to me. So I stripped the rounds, cleaned the mag with a brush, cleaned the rounds, loaded the mag, then topped off with fresh. On the next stage towards the end of the mag, the slide would not go all the way into battery (racked, same thing, racked, same thing). Finally, I stuck another mag in, racked and went. What happened is a friend was shooting with me. On the prior stage someone gave him back my mag, and me his. He was shooting .38 super and I was shooting 9x21. :o:o

Since I'm "ol school," and never felt comfortable leaving fully loaded 20 round mags laying around all day long, after each stage

Ah, that's the beauty of shooting production. Finish stage, clean mags, load to 10, put back in pouches and fowgetaboutit!

Well at least it's not just me.

Just had that happen thurs. nite, the mental bitchslap I gave myself ought to remind me from now on.

Pretty hard to make an effective recovery when you realize there is nothing brass colored that cauused a jam, I can still mentally picture that black follower in my mind.

Travis F.

• 1 month later...

:( I did this yesterday,,,,grabbed the wrong mag,,,,my barney mag,,,,

bang,,,bang,,,,bang,,,,,crap,,,,,mag change,,,,crap,,,,bumped the safety,,,,depressed the safety,,,,,crap,,,,,no round in the chamber,,,,,bang, bang.

Almost as bad as the dropped mag that forced a reload from the ground.

Yesterday was not a good match for ol' h4444.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few years I've tried to standardize as much as I can--IDPA USPSA, carry, whatever.

One of the things I do is have only two "flavors" of mags--fully loaded and fully unloaded. On the line, I take the time to refill the mag in the gun rather than use a barney mag. As soon as I come off the line, I refill the mags I need to capacity and empty the ones I don't. The empties go in the bag. I check my carry gun when I put it on and when I take it off...same drill...pop the mag, clear the chamber, reinsert mag (or new mag), rack the slide, pop the mag and refill to capacity.

I think it's working, 'cause I feel creepy when told to load "X" number of rounds in IDPA!

Michael B

• 2 weeks later...

"Loaded magazine?" I look down, and if I see six unspent primers looking back at me from each moonclip, I'm ready. Expended clips or partials go into the mesh brass bag. I don't get back wrong mags, wrong brass, and there is no such thing as a "lost brass" match.

The simple life can be good.

• 1 month later...

And you really need to carry all your magizines as well.

My son, who is just getting into IPSC (he's 22) stands in front of a texas star for the first time as part of a stage. He blazes away and then just quits. After he clears up with the RO, I ask him why he didn't finish. He said "I ran out of bullets" He had gone to the line without every magizine he could carry which in his case would have been four.

Anyway, I explained to him you can never have too many bullets.

It's like my flight instructor told me once when I told him I had too much fuel on board and we were overweight for take-off. He said" Son, the only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on the ground and on fire"

My son now goes to the line with four FULL magizines. :D

sorry to ramble

dj