Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11-87 unloading mag tube

I am new to this whole shotgun thing. When unloading and showing clear, is there a way to unload the tube on a 11-87 without cycling the bolt and chambering the round first?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Supermoto

I am new to this whole shotgun thing. When unloading and showing clear, is there a way to unload the tube on a 11-87 without cycling the bolt and chambering the round first?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

3 options. Unscrew mag extension, run through the chamber, or work bolt, roll shotgun onto side, shake out hull.

As Benny said, if you have to unload more than a couple shells, you are wasting time loading too many extras while on the clock.

As far as getting them out, when the stage is over, just rack them through is what I do. When it locks back stop and look. If you have to rack more than twice to empty the gun, see above ;)

With the bolt closed on empty chamber, hammer cocked, and safety ON, push open the carrier and with the forefinger of your right hand push down on the front of the feed latch. This releases the first shell in the tube. You'll probably want to use a finger of your left hand to keep the shell from popping out and pinching your other finger. I usually don't quite push the carrier all the way in and leave just enough to catch the shell. Then I ease it out.

This is how I unload when I'm practicing with dummy loads. The dummy loads get pretty chewed up anyway, and if I ran them though the chamber all the time they wouldn't last long. In matches I just rack the bolt to save time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help guys. I just started practicing, haven't even thought about competing yet. During practice I shot a couple, reload, shoot a couple more, so I end up with a full mag tube. I'll give JoBob method a try.

Dan S. don't worry, the shotgun has a 26" barrel... I feel like I'm trying to run around with a flagpole. The barrel is longer that my whole AR :)

Mike,

If you stick your fingers into a Remington, be careful, there are a lot of sharp pieces of sheet metal in there. I'd just work them through the action when practicing. Get some dummy rounds from Brownells for loading practice at home. I'm sure you've noticed that shotgun is all about loading.

Mike,

If you stick your fingers into a Remington, be careful, there are a lot of sharp pieces of sheet metal in there. I'd just work them through the action when practicing. Get some dummy rounds from Brownells for loading practice at home. I'm sure you've noticed that shotgun is all about loading.

I learned that the hard way. Cut my fingers, bled all over the gun while shooting :(