• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[Mod] "dead animal" picture deleted[/Mod]

223, 55 gr Vmax, 225 meters. 2 fer 1.

Hey bro:

One of the rules of this forum is NO hunting pics of dead animals..I know the 22-250 really blows them up..but not allowed..know you understand...

Thanks

Tightloop

<_< I had a 223 that was for long range. I got the 22-250 so that I could use the action recever and after I needed a new barrel I was /am going to rebarel to 6mm BR and end up with a very good setup.

I did not get as good a long range results with he 22-250 over the 223 partly becuse of barrel twist. The 1in 8 twist in the 223 out shot the 1in 14 22-250 in the out past 500 shots.

And the 22-250 uses a large primer that I did not like changeing on my press.

[Mod] "dead animal" picture deleted[/Mod]

223, 55 gr Vmax, 225 meters. 2 fer 1.

Hey bro:

One of the rules of this forum is NO hunting pics of dead animals..I know the 22-250 really blows them up..but not allowed..know you understand...

Thanks

Tightloop

My old varmint rig was a 25-06 loaded hot with Hornady 75 gr hollow points.

It literally vaporized a rabbit at 100 yards.

Nothing left to take a picture of.

Tls

Not to drift the hell out of my own thread, but... What in the hell is the point in that??? Rabbits can be pests, too, of course - but them's good eatin' as well... ;)

Since when did owning a so-called "varmint" rifle mean you like killing things for giggles and watching them explode ??? <_< sheesh...

If varmint are hunted with either of these rifles, it will be coyote, and it will be because they are harassing horses at the local barns. Could be feral dog, too, which is a damn shame and breaks my heart, but... they're dangerous...

"What in the hell is the point in that???"

Well Dave, since you asked, I will answer your question.

I bear no particular malice toward any species of animal including rabbits.

I was simply out with my rifle on that day and the rabbit became a target of opportunity.

Looking back, it may not have been a very cool thing to do, but in my youth I did not place much value on the lives of rodents, groundhogs, rabbits, opposums, etc.

I did not see it as particularly ruthless to dispatch one of the 6 million rabbits on my property rather that leave it for the coyotes and bobcats.

It was just part of a learning process for me as I was just getting into reloading and I wanted to see for myself the effects of frangible bullets at high velocity.

Perspectives change as time goes by and its not something I would do today.

In fact, I took up IPSC because I love to shoot but don't feel comfortable anymore with hunting.

I hope that answers your question.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Not to drift the hell out of my own thread, but... What in the hell is the point in that??? Rabbits can be pests, too, of course - but them's good eatin' as well... ;)

Since when did owning a so-called "varmint" rifle mean you like killing things for giggles and watching them explode ??? <_< sheesh...

If varmint are hunted with either of these rifles, it will be coyote, and it will be because they are harassing horses at the local barns. Could be feral dog, too, which is a damn shame and breaks my heart, but... they're dangerous...

Actually - FACT - Rabbits are an incredible financial drain to ranchers and farmers. They have a terrific appitite and are terrible on graze and grain stocks. Less than 20 rabbits eat as much as a cow critter does. When you are talking about land that will not support but one cow/calf per 5 to 10 acres rabbits cost big money. Watching them explode kills them no deader than killing and eating them. :)

"What in the hell is the point in that???"

Well Dave, since you asked, I will answer your question.

I bear no particular malice toward any species of animal including rabbits.

I was simply out with my rifle on that day and the rabbit became a target of opportunity.

Looking back, it may not have been a very cool thing to do, but in my youth I did not place much value on the lives of rodents, groundhogs, rabbits, opposums, etc.

I did not see it as particularly ruthless to dispatch one of the 6 million rabbits on my property rather that leave it for the coyotes and bobcats.

In fact, took up IPSC because I love to shoot but don't feel comfortable anymore with hunting.

I hope that answers your question.

Tony

Tony

My hunting life has taken similar transformations over the years. For a couple, I hunted with a rifle, but felt I needed more of a challenge, so I took up archery. I have been on 7 Safari's since, and had some success. But I have lost my hunting desire for the most part. I really enjoy shooting again, and LOVE IPSC!!!! Yes, I do have some unfinished hunting business, that finances allowing, will finish the last three hunts to fulfill my lifetime hunting goals, but in the mean time.....

It is Single Stack for me!!!!! And I am waiting on Merlin to finish my new AR too, so I will do some plinking with that when I get it. I formerly enjoyed reloading and tuning loads for my MOR's, and plan to tune my AR to be a tack driver.

Life takes lots of turns, I have no regrets for the paths I have followed, but some I would not have traveled giving my present ideals. Times passes, and people change......

Jay

Looking back, it may not have been a very cool thing to do

Totally understand that...

In fact, took up IPSC because I love to shoot but don't feel comfortable anymore with hunting.

I support hunters, and I have hunted. I greatly respect the need for game management, and I'd rather see an animal be killed by a hunter than have it starve to death (esp. since we've eliminated most of their natural predators, etc....).

I don't hunt much anymore (in fact, haven't for many years) simply because I don't get a whole lot out of it, personally. I don't like venison, either, so you won't find me going after deer (unless I was in a situation where I needed to eat ;) ).

Less than 20 rabbits eat as much as a cow critter does. When you are talking about land that will not support but one cow/calf per 5 to 10 acres rabbits cost big money.

Well - I wasn't asking what was the reason for killing the poor defenseless rabbit ;) I was asking, why vaporize it? I misread Tony's post as being proud of vaporizing the critter, too, so... ;)

Don't ignore that steping into a rabbit warren will usually result in a dead cow, as well, due to a broken leg, etc....

Watching them explode kills them no deader than killing and eating them. :)

While this is a true statement.... I just don't get the glee that some people seem to display for it... And I also don't really get the folks that go out to blow up little critters that aren't pests - and then they video it and put it on YouTube so other sick f***s can giggle at it, too... ;) And I was wondering why, if you have a rifle that qualifies to be called a "varmint rifle", you're suddenly presumed to be a sick f***???

Of course, I've never been one to get off on trophies or anything, either... If that's your thing, more power to ya...

If you're a sick f*** and I've just offended you... well.... ;)

(edit to correct spelling mistakes... <_< ).

Edited by XRe

Looking back, it may not have been a very cool thing to do

Totally understand that...

I support hunters, and I have hunted. I greatly respect the need for game management, and I'd rather see an animal be killed by a hunter than have it starve to death (esp. since we've eliminated most of their natural predators, etc....).

I don't hunt much anymore (in fact, haven't for many years) simply because I don't get a whole lot out of it, personally. I don't like venison, either, so you won't find me going after deer (unless I was in a situation where I needed to eat ;) ).

Less than 20 rabbits eat as much as a cow critter does. When you are talking about land that will not support but one cow/calf per 5 to 10 acres rabbits cost big money.

Well - I wasn't asking what was the reason for killing the poor defenseless rabbit ;) I was asking, why vaporize it? I misread Tony's post as being proud of vaporizing the critter, too, so... ;)

Don't ignore that steping into a rabbit warren will usually result in a dead cow, as well, due to a broken leg, etc....

Watching them explode kills them no deader than killing and eating them. :)

While this is a true statement.... I just don't get the glee that some people seem to display for it... And I also don't really get the folks that go out to blow up little critters that aren't pests - and then they video it and put it on YouTube so other sick f***s can giggle at it, too... ;) And I was wondering why, if you have a rifle that qualifies to be called a "varmint rifle", you're suddenly presumed to be a sick f***???

Of course, I've never been one to get off on trophies or anything, either... If that's your thing, more power to ya...

If you're a sick f*** and I've just offended you... well.... ;)

(edit to correct spelling mistakes... <_< ).

I'm kool. And - Just so we understand each other... :cheers:

131438830-S.jpg

Perhaps I didn't properly explain the fundamentals of the "group hug" concept. :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO!!!!

By the way Dave, I'm having a hard time understanding how all this angst over a rabbit comes from Mr.

"I need to watch things die from a good safe distance" Re :goof::lol::goof:

Edited by 38superman

By the way Dave, I'm having a hard time understanding how all this angst over a rabbit comes from Mr.

"I need to watch things dies from a good safe distance" Re :goof::lol::goof:

Understand the song, and you'll understand the seeming paradox ;) Just because we have the seeming compulsion to watch the train wreck doesn't mean it doesn't horrify us.... :blink::blink::blink:

Were going to be the first guys in the history of the forum to have a thread about 222 vs 22-250 closed.

As soon as Jay posted in the thread, it was doomed... :goof:

Were going to be the first guys in the history of the forum to have a thread about 222 vs 22-250 closed.

As soon as Jay posted in the thread, it was doomed... :goof:

I resemble that remark!!!!! ;)

On the unfortunate side of things.... stuff got f'ed up w/ regards to obtaining the rifle (and other stuff I was supposed to pick up). Lawyers are now involved <_< (seriously). I hope I've finally gotten through to the folks "in control", though, and maybe the right things will happen this time around with it... If that's the case (the right things finally happen), I won't have to make the choice, and I'll get both anyway!!! :D

I think cleaning woul be be a better alternative to closing and at this point, the image cleansing is already done so on with the show folks.

Group Hug? Yeah Right! ;)

I notice that the 22-250 is leading in the poll.

59% Blow 'em up.

41% Lay 'em down.

Sorry, ..... I couldn't resist

Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water... :devil:

Edited by 38superman