Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.222 or .22-250

XRe

Let's say you were given a choice between two rifles. Other than caliber, they are absolutely identical - based on the same action, have the same glass on them, the same trigger job, blah blah blah. The rifle will likely mostly be used for target shooting from a bench, though theoretically could see some work in the field for varmint at relatively close ranges (say, 300 yards and in, probably).

Twist on the barrels is unknown - assume typical for a late '60s or early '70s model. Both guns have custom barrels made by a reputable manufacturer for the day (same manufacturer for each).

The only difference between the two is the caliber. One is in .222 Remington - a well respected benchrest caliber for accuracy purposes (and, if I have my facts straight, the pre-cursor for .223). The other is in .22-250 - another well known varminting cartridge.

Which one would you pick - and why???

Also - sidebar question... Couldn't the .222 theoretically be rechambered to .223 with a simple reaming?

Thanks for the help - and, yes, I get to make this choice shortly, so this is a practical question ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dave,

I believe you are correct about the "little bit of reaming to get to .223" thing. Here are the case specs for each. Looks doable.

post-749-1183766025.gif

post-749-1183766033.gif

The .222 is aso not a barrel burner like the 22-250 is in comparison.

For 300 and under and benchrest, I think the .222 wins hands down IMHO. Even better ifn'ya get her hogged out to .223 for brass and loading compatability if you already reload for an AR.

Hmmm..... A Plymouth Neon or a Shelby GT 350..............Hmmmmm.....

Speed thrills! :cheers:

Considering the rifles in question.... that's not much of an analogy :D:lol:

I have a .223 and a 22-250 , they both have their place . The .223 is low recoil and cheap to shoot , the 22-250 flat lays the Smacketh down upon Varmint critters . You need at least one of each but if you can only own 1 go with the 22-250 and laod it down with 50's to keep your barrel alive longer . I load mine with 35 grains of IMR 4064 and a 50 grain V-max . 3550 FPS of pure hell on wheels and damn accurate to boot . 40's will go over 4000 FPS and don't leave much to take pictures of when shooting ground squirrels .

I grew up shooting groundhogs with a .222 and its a flat out accurate, very low recoil, quiet gun. My current rifle is an old .225 win. which is winchesters comparison to the .22-250. Its great for reaching out past 300 yards but its louder and burns more powder. I think you would have to really throw alot of lead through it to burn the barrel out early.

For punching paper I would go for the .222 and it will do all that you need it to do on small criters out to 300 yards.

"The rifle will likely mostly be used for target shooting from a bench" = .222 Remington

The .22-250 is flat, recoil is modest, and will burn out sooner.

However, if you are careful not to heat up the barrel too much it will retain it's accuracy for quite a long time.

.222 or .22-250?

Depends,....... when you shoot varmints out to 300 yards, do you want them to fall over or explode? :devil:

Edited by 38superman

Depends,....... when you shoot varmints out to 300 yards, do you want them to fall over or explode? :devil:

For my purposes? It don't matter... it would solely be for elimination of a pest, not for "entertainment" purposes <_<

For my purposes? It don't matter... it would solely be for elimination of a pest, not for "entertainment" purposes <_<

Sounds like you just answered your own question.

Go with the .222

If you handload - A 22-250 can be loaded to .222 specs......Not so the other way around.. :closedeyes:

And THERE is the answer to the question.

And from the, Patron Saint of Reason

I hereby propose this be Merlon's newest title!!!

If you handload - A 22-250 can be loaded to .222 specs......Not so the other way around.. :closedeyes:

I suppose that's possible - though the VV manual doesn't show it. I'd have to go into that "uncharted" territory. The lowest .22-250 loads they show are still a good 100fps faster than the fastest .222 loads - and they burn 50% more powder to do it. ;)

If I handload (and I do...), I can load .222 and get better ammo than buying... but the local Sportsmans Warehouse carries several different .222 loads, so... no worries there. Besides - shoot WWB in a target gun?? Come on, I wouldn't insult the rifle like that!!! :D

There's a certain appeal to the reputation of the Deuce, too, in that its supposed to be really easy to load for. Being that I've never loaded rifle ammo - much less for accuracy - it might be an easier place to start.

The performance of the .22-250 is, no doubt, impressive.... We'll see... I might be able to end up with both, and so avoid making a choice....

I guess I might as well add that these are both Remington 40-X actions that took trips out to Harts for barreling, their 2oz triggers, etc, and they both have old-school Unertl target glass (w/ external adjustments, the spring loaded rail, all that). Cool 60s/70s era bench guns...

The Deuce does have a history of taking varmint - my dad took a groundhog at 280 yards with it once, he tells me. Both guns took out multiple crows along the way, as well...

Rem 40x action, Hart barrel, 2 oz. trigger, Unertl glass. :wub:

Oh my. Whichever one you choose, send me the other one. :bow:

P.S. True you should be able to down load the 22-250 but I'm not sure if a downloaded 22-250 could match the legendary accuracy of the triple duece.

Note: Varmint bullets designed for the .222 are very frangible.

Shoot them from a higher velocity cartridge such as the 22-250 and they won't make it 10 feet from the muzzle before they fly apart.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

I guess I might as well add that these are both Remington 40-X actions that took trips out to Harts for barreling, their 2oz triggers, etc, and they both have old-school Unertl target glass (w/ external adjustments, the spring loaded rail, all that). Cool 60s/70s era bench guns...

The Deuce does have a history of taking varmint - my dad took a groundhog at 280 yards with it once, he tells me. Both guns took out multiple crows along the way, as well...

Dave,

I owned a Remington Model 7 in .222 and I actually put three in the same hole from 100yds from the bench. Complete with witnesses watch me do it.

I also owned a Sako 22-250, great round and a great gun

Wish I still had them :angry:

Alan