Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.222 or .22-250

XRe

Group Hug? Yeah Right! ;)

I don't know... it might be a little messy, what with the baby oil thread going on and all that... :lol:

Astroglide, NOT Baby Oil :angry2:

Is it true that Astroglide might take the place of Slide Glide? Astroglide might work on pistols for a few shots but (almost misspelled that)...will it work the other way around?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know... it might be a little messy, what with the baby oil thread going on and all that... :lol:

Is it true that Astroglide might take the place of Slide Glide? Astroglide might work on pistols for a few shots but (almost misspelled that)...will it work the other way around?

Astroglide will not work well in the rain!!!

Dirtypool did try the Slide Glide #3 for the "other" so ask him!!!

I'm still voting the .222.

Easy on the pocket book, easy on the shooter, and inherantly accurate for paper punching or when pressed into varment getting.

One of the most pleasant callibres I have been aquainted with!

RPM

I'm still voting the .222.

Easy on the pocket book, easy on the shooter, and inherantly accurate for paper punching or when pressed into varment getting.

One of the most pleasant callibres I have been aquainted with!

RPM

Stop de-railing my de-rail!!!!!

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic :D And the info...

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic :D And the info...

EZ there Dave, this is a dual topic thread!!!

Astroglide will not work well in the rain!!!

Dirtypool did try the Slide Glide #3 for the "other" so ask him!!!

Perhaps Dirtypool will chime in and enlighten us....We can only hope....

• 3 months later...

I've got to throw in my 2 bits on the ORRIGINAL thread B) . I would defenitely go for the tripple duce. My padre has a Sako Manlicher from the 60's that has been well used but still is sub-moa all day long, every day. In fact, he is still using the same 100+ brass that he bought while HE was in college :D. I have a 22-250 that will do the same thing at 400+ meters, but it do thump the shooter and uses twice the powder per shot. Another note is that you mentioned the canine issiues around the horse barns, the lesser report can be a big plus esp. if you have neighbors.

Will

• 1 year later...

Hey Dave how'd it end up.....did you get one or both?

I had a 220 Swift Ruger No.1V :wub: That has to be my favorite rifle. But I was wanting another gun and thats the one I thought I could live without. It took a lot of powder and I had put a lot'a rds throught it so down the road it went. Wish I had it back. 400 yards nothing escaped. Speer 52 HP @ 4000+ now thats screaming.

I have a Weatherby Vangard VGL in 223 with a 20 inch 1/12 barrel. Easy on the pockets to load and brass is everywhere. 50 or 55 grs and ww 748 will kill critters all day long out to 400 if you do your part. 300 is easy 400 takes some reading of the wind on small critters.

If you dope your load (get one load) and spend the time to know how the rifle shoots, the 222 will do all you need to do out to 400. The 22-250 is just burning extra powder.

I'd say if you want a budget critter getter go with the 222. If you ain't worried about the money and have deep pockets go with the 22-250.

YMMV

Hey Dave how'd it end up.....did you get one or both?

Have both - but only the .22-250 is shootable. Long story as to why, but the triple deuce has no glass on it <_< I haven't shot the .22-250, yet - need to get an appropriate rest, and such.

I wish.....I really need to good scope.

Nah, I've been off work for the last 2 1/2 weeks. The weather has been cold, and I noticed I am running low on loaded 223 and 308 ammo. So the ol' 550 has been getting a work out. Of course I had to test out a few new loads...........well now I am out'a bullets and need to order some more. I could'a been doing load development for you if I had your rifle. I'd have been happy to help ya out.

I appreciate the offer, Tony :) Actually, i'm looking forward to working up loads on both these guns, just don't have time for it right now (much less cash to put glass on the triple deuce, and cash to pick up dies and such for both guns). I haven't loaded for rifle, yet, so it'll be a good learning experience for me.

Rumor has it that both guns will shoot sub 1/4 MOA :o We'll see if I can live up to that tall order ;)

I appreciate the offer, Tony :) Actually, i'm looking forward to working up loads on both these guns, just don't have time for it right now (much less cash to put glass on the triple deuce, and cash to pick up dies and such for both guns). I haven't loaded for rifle, yet, so it'll be a good learning experience for me.

Rumor has it that both guns will shoot sub 1/4 MOA :o We'll see if I can live up to that tall order ;)

I have had a couple of .222's and one 22-250...just for shooting at 200yds and under the duce is my fav, but the 22-250 is one of the best varmint killer of the two...my current favorite is 22PPC...kind of hard to make brass from the 220 Russian but super accurate and fun to shoot, kills varmints pretty well also.

• 2 months later...

I've had both in the Rem. 788 (now hvy barrel 700's) and have won turkeys at turkey shoots for being able to shoot 3 shot clover leafs at a hundred yards with them both. The Sierra manual nailed the loads for both for accuracy. Given a choice on prairie dogs and larger critters I would suggest the 22-250 because of the bullet speed that can be generated. It's cool to see things explode while looking through the scope. HOPE I don't get any hate mail from this...LOL