Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headlines That Are A Slap In The Face

Micah

It may have something to do with shooting a blue gun out of a blue holster that matches your shoes.

I had no trouble getting a job straight out of college. Got to travel too!! USAF S E Asia.

He's got a point there ....... with your college ed. you could be an officer in the military, although I cant see you in a uniform. You know they make you shave your head in boot camp. And uh ... you might want to think about the Air Force, I mean you might not look good in GREEN! :lol:

We currently have over 100 open needs for engineers around the country. It will only get worse given the aging of us baby boomers. U.S. universities are not producing enough engineering graduates to even meet the replacement demands much less growth. This may not help much if you aren't an engineer but there is a huge demand out there in some career areas.

Several asshats at establishments that could strongly benefit from my expertise were rather snotty and short with me, but that's how it goes.

Beware the attitude you develop during this process. As much as you try to hide it, it will come to the interview with you - and will hurt you.

Also, resumes and interviewing are both arts of their own. You may benefit by having your resume reviewed by a professional (yes there are people who do that sort of thing).

Also, in the interview, the statment "I feel that my job is to ensure that the company makes money, not just take money from it" is what got me my job. (Actually it didn't get me the job I applied for. It got me a much better job that was open.)

Companies want to feel that you're working for them, not just yourself. Attitude is really everything. It's those exceptional people that can take something less than optimal and make it work that we need, and that are first picks. There's bitchers and there's fixers. I need fixers.

Now that I'm scarfing down some Thai food, I'll throw a bit more at ya. ;)

When you are young, you get hired to perform what I will call "skill" jobs. Unless you're talking about fast food or retail, it's highly unlikely that you will be hired straight out of college into any kind of managerial role (unless it's managing fast-food level employees). I would recommend that EVERY young person graduate college with a a MARKETABLE SKILL that he or she can perform. I don't care what it is: pottery, painting, electrical engineering, mastery of a foreign language, geology, chemistry, nursing, accounting, actuarial (or other applied) mathematics...

Have a skill with which to market yourself.

Things that are not marketable skills fall under such titles as: management, leadership, MBA, history (outside of PhD), political science (OS PhD), public relations, marketing, psychology (BS with no intent on pursuing to licensed practitioner). All these degrees come under the "fuzzy, hand-waving occupational roles." I have a fuzzy, hand-waving occupational role. I got the job by working skill jobs first. It doesn't matter whether you like that kind of progression or not, it's the way it is.

Stuff like organizational leadership and MBA are degrees that *already employed professionals* earn to pad their resume on the way to a promotion. Only top ivy league MBAs are really employable right out of school.

Also, college ain't for everybody. The trade school has almost been entirely forgotten in America. And there are a LOT of fun, great paying trades out there: air traffic controller, electrician, lineman, toolmaker, aircraft mechanic (airline, not GA) come immediately to mind. You can responsibly support a family with these types of occupations and frequently go off on your own as you build experience and credentials.

Think skills. Wait for the right fit. Things will work themselves out. ;)

Never went to college .... and stumbled into a 16 year long skilled trade as a fire alarm "programmer" / "technician" / whatever ... makin' decent money.

My point is college wasn't for me. And you are still young enough to find something that "fits" for you too. Your bonus is you already have some college. But try not to rely on that to get yourself a job. Try to use that as a deal-closer in your interviews. Or maybe just as a foot-in-the-door kinda thing.

Make any sense ? :huh:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I'd also suggest that you look at your government agencies, federal, state, county and city. Not the greatest paying jobs, but good baseline builders. For example, a gvmnt job in a regulatory field would later on make you a desirable candidate for the regulated sector.

Load your resume into USAJobs, the FedGov Office or Personnel Management website, search every day and apply.

Mucho exito!

B)

It may have something to do with shooting a blue gun out of a blue holster that matches your shoes.

I had no trouble getting a job straight out of college. Got to travel too!! USAF S E Asia.

He's got a point there ....... with your college ed. you could be an officer in the military, although I cant see you in a uniform. You know they make you shave your head in boot camp. And uh ... you might want to think about the Air Force, I mean you might not look good in GREEN! :lol:

I'd give it a thought. Maybe you can land on the Air Force shooting team.

The AF shooting team is for the most part unsupported and voluntary. Every shooter has a primary job they do for the AF, and only really receive permissive TDY time to shoot matches, no monetary support for the trip or entry fees or equipment and ammo as I understand it. I could be wrong as I'm not on the AF team, but this is basically what I have heard through various sources.

As for a Military job, yes they are very stable, but there is a 'real cost' for that stability...

The AF shooting team is for the most part unsupported and voluntary. Every shooter has a primary job they do for the AF, and only really receive permissive TDY time to shoot matches, no monetary support for the trip or entry fees or equipment and ammo as I understand it. I could be wrong as I'm not on the AF team, but this is basically what I have heard through various sources.

Thanks for the info. :)

This thread is what scares the $hit outta me about getting out of the military. Good luck to everyone.

Joe

-------------------------

The one thing that shouldn't keep you in the military is fear but that is why a lot of folks stay.

If you have a great gig going with the military by all means stay but if you have any type of smarts or drive you will be much better off elsewhere.

Do not assume that your military time will benefit you in any way other than that you are now a bit seasoned and no longer a callow youth. You have had a bit of time to think about what you want to do in life. Go and do it, at least try.

As to going into the military because of a hard time finding work or because of the sports opportunities, don't do it. That is a mistake. In the long run the real, civilian world is always better.