Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos Tuned Mags

Putty

Anyone out there enjoying the mags? Is there a preference for the dawson or grams basepads 9pros/cons). Have heard that the grams basepads break, yet you can cram another round or two into the mag.

Dawson only sells their tuned mags with a new gun purchase.....DOH!

Have heard that the grams basepads break, yet you can cram another round or two into the mag.

Yes, and sorta yes...I have broke two Grams basepads in the past two or three months...and they have never been dropped on concrete or anything harder than grass/sparse grass covering sand. I have replaced them with the Dawson and plan on going solely to Dawson as the rest break. On one mag, lost one round, on one mag no change to the "loadable total."

I think HSMITH, on here, is looking into, or already tuning mags with Dawson pads that will hold 20, as much as you can get with Grams. Might shoot him a PM and check if you are in the market.

I'd go with the Grams basepads. They are 4mm while the Dawson pads are 'only' 2.5mm. The Brazos mags with the Grams basepads that I have in .40 all hold 20 and are reloadable. He also makes sure that they will fit the gauge. Grams also warrants his basepads for life so if they do break, you can get them replaced.

Bob's 38 super 170mm mags hold 29+1.

I had bought a bunch of tuned mags from Dawson when I first got my STI and never had any mag related problems with the gun. The Dawson basepads do stand up quite well to being dropped too.

Adam

I've got tuned mags with both Dawson and Grams pads that hold 20 rounds reloadable. The Grams seem to give you a touch more room and seat a little easier. My big worry with the Dawson pads is that when you take them off to clean the mag between stages, it would be really easy to lose the spring and plunger...it'll pop right out if you aren't careful. I don't find it a big deal to pop the U-pin off the Grams for cleaning...I have tools in the bag anyway and it takes just a second. The most useful feature I like on tuned mags is the capacity holes in the back that a lot of tuners add.

I have a set of 4 of Bob's tuned mags for my Open blaster in 38 Super. I have not had a single problem with them as long as I heed Bob's advice and load them only to 21 rounds. They will take 22 easily and 23 if I really push but a hangup as the over-depressed follower comes up to the lower edge of the tube ribs is likely although not certain. I have the Dawson pads and have been very happy with them.

Bob's tuned mags are worth every penny. I have the Grams pads and haven't broken one (yet) but have spares in case I do. I have noticed that having a spare 'something' pretty much ensures I won't ever need the spare. ;)

My #4 mag (the one that is almost always first into the gun) gets dropped a lot (usually on gravel or carpet) and the pad is starting to look rather sad but it is holding together...so far.

I bought four STI mags that Matt Cheely tuned with Beven Grams followers spings and base pads, Matt also drills the witness holes. The four mags all hold twenty rounds. Two of the four mags hold twenty rounds easily and are reloadable. I have not had any problems with the mags functioning or any issues with the Grams base pads.

I can only speak to Bob's tuned mags (super) and those that EGW tuned for me (40). Both have worked flawlessly and, from what I've seen over the years, it's money well spent to have a reputable source tune your mags...just one less thing to go wrong.

Getting 28 in my super 170s and am able to run 22 in my super 140s.