Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI- "Scott Grip" issues

baa

I have a SVI limited blaster with SVI Scott type grips. The grit is rapidly wearing off and leaving big unsightly (and smooth) patches were I grip. Has anyone had this issue. Thoughts on the fix? Remove all the grit and put skateboard tape type material on the grip? glue new grit in the wear areas?

Any thoughts/help would be great!

Stop practicing so much. :rolleyes:

Actually, I am having the same problem.

I like the Scott grip and really don't want to change the feel of the gun.

There may be several band-aid solutions but the best idea is probably a new grip.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

yeah, after YEARS of "SCOTT ONLY!!!" being my policy, I am switching to stippling. The front of my current gun is as slick as a mossy eel.

They look cool and are nice when new, but damn near worthless when you really work them.

Charles,

There are many different adhesives that can be used to attach the abrasive particles to the grip. The adhesive used, and how well the grip was prepped, determine how long the grip will last. If it is coming off quickly/easily, you might remove it all and replace it properly. If not, you can just patch the bad areas with matching grit.

I use thin epoxy and it has lasted for many years without problems. I have also used polyester resin (fiberglass) but it tends to be a little thick as it comes from the can and can sag. You merely tape off the area that you want to protect and then paint a THIN coat of adhesive onto the grip and then completely cover the adhesive with grit and allow it to dry. You should be able to purchase what you want at hobby & craft stores. They have sand in many different colors and several suitable adhesives.

Catch me at a match and we can cover the fine points.

Leo

Edited by L9X25

The stippling is cool but it increases the size of the grip significantly and can be slick too. Since it is all plastic, it does not absorb any moinsture from you hands and feels slick to me. I have tried them all and have "Scotts" style grips on all of my guns, although I have serveral stippled grips in my possession. If they get dirty (or full of skin in your case) you should be able to clean them with compressed air and possibly a small amount of solvent and toothbrush followed with compressed air. My grips usually crack before the "Scotts" part wears off.

I'm putting a stippled on my #1 gun so I can play with DIY Scotting my old grips. You said we could pester Leo, you said it....

See me at Frostproof and I will tell you all that I know, it will only take about 30 seconds and that includes what I know about shooting too! :P

The major parts are to make sure you shape the grip to how you want it before you apply the grit. The glue and grit will increase the size of the grip slightly so you must remove some material so that it will return to the original size. You also have to round the corners and generally get to where you like the general feel of the grip. Then you de-grease, mask, brush, dunk and wait. When it is dry, brush it lightly, blow the loose particles off with compressed air and you are done.

L9x25:

"The major parts are to make sure you shape the grip to how you want it before you apply the grit. The glue and grit will increase the size of the grip slightly so you must remove some material so that it will return to the original size. You also have to round the corners and generally get to where you like the general feel of the grip. Then you de-grease, mask, brush, dunk and wait. When it is dry, brush it lightly, blow the loose particles off with compressed air and you are done."

+1

I just use 5 min epoxy painted on with a small brush (on desired areas of grip, after prep of reducing grip as desired, and then roughing up a bit with a dremel sandpaper drum ), and either black hobby sand, or grit of your choice; sprinkle on heavily til it quits sucking it up, and/or dries. Shake off excess."

My last grip job has lasted over 2 years, and hasn't worn smooth or flaked. (my main match gun, heavily used/fondled). If it did flake off or get thin, another coat of epoxy and sand and its all better.

I like the skateboard tape feel, and wouldn't use any other permanent solution. I like Eric's Tru-Grips also, if permanent epoxying isn't desired or practical, but they will need replacing every few months if heavily used.

Edited by sfinney

The Scott grip is better in my opinion than the stippling or the Roupe grip and I have used the roupe grip on my guns exclusively. One of the shooters in the area looked at a scot grip and ccame up with a suitable formula to duplicate it. I actually think it is better. When applied correctly it actually took an old grip that we had reduced so much that the grip could be deformed during mag changes and make the mag stick back to being a usable grip. I dont know what he uses but it is not sand in the grip, and when he finishes he paints the gritted area with black paint and the grip looks as good as new. The 2 SVI's I have with Scott grips thou have not shown any signs of wear. Maybe as time has gone by they have improved the way they apply the treatment to the grip and are not getting the flaking that you guys are describing.

My opinion on stippling is that the stippling needs to be extremely fine in order to generate enough traction points to be anywhere as near as effective as grit. I don't think stippling will ever really hold up under hard use. That plastic is going to get polished and rounded over with use - and thus end up slick again. I would hesitate to stipple a grip in such a way that the stippling couldn't be periodically "refreshed."

If you want anything to stick to nylon, you're going to be 100% dependent on a mechanical bond. Strongly consider abrading the grip with bead blast prior to applying the adhesive. You'll want the surface to be rough / fuzzy when you apply the glue.

FWIW....

Thanks for the replies!

Joking aside, I think all the dry fire is what's really wearing the grit off quickly. That and my unfortunate tendency to use a Kung Fu Death Grip when shooting.

Leo, I will take you up on the help. Summer is here and I really need the grit on the area which is wearing off quickly. The plastic is really really smooth underneath.

If the grit is coming off any way. You could clean the grip off and apply skate board tape type grip. If you don't like it you can always texture it or replace it.

I have had this original skate board tape on my SV since 1996 I bought it that way this last year I added some over it. I have the plastic MSH smoothed down with tape over it also. Its 3M tape from Home Depot I think.

Having shot the textured grip of a sister SV in the rain after shooting mine all this time, it felt slippery. Shooting is the dry they both work fine, shooting in the rain the textured plastic grip still feels slippery to me. The first state match I had to shoot in the rain/wet the whole time and had almost no holster starts made me a believer in grip tape.