Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what to do?

SV'init

I have an STI EAGLE 5.5 .45 open gun that I wanted to convert to a semi longlslide .40 limited gun. I know I will have to change barrels, but will I need to order a new slide for .40? is there anything else I can do to simplify the proccess? I have a brand new 6" schueman barrel, and a frame jig for my bridgeport to do the lightning cuts, and can cut down the barrel+ polish, but is it worth it? my frame is already drilled for optics and I'm hoping to crack the frame shooting +P's out of it to send it to STI for a new one w/o holes for a few more bucks. its great for pinshoots, but I shoot limited and open now. it is a CA reg. frame and I want to keep it here. any sugesstions? :blink:

really? figured I could fit a .40 bull barrel no problem. If I cant, I'm just going to to buy a new 6" and be done. what to do about the frame holes? just franken screw it and plug em?

Your going from a .480 diameter, .0490 thick rim to a .420 diameter .0550 thick rim, you can fit a new barrel and it will chamber and fire but good luck getting it to extract. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck or hurt any feelings but this is really basic 1911 info, are you sure you want to take on this project ? You sound like you have a little machiining experience, I'd reccomend Kuhnhausens 1911 building book. It will tell you everything you wanna know about building and fitting parts. I also noticed you said California, do you travel out of state to shoot ? Isnt CA like HI and everybody is limited to 10 round mags ? If so your better off staying with 45 as only advantage to 40 is round count and you get the disadvantage of smaller holes. Plus 45 top ends are way cheaper and easier to come by.

Your going from a .480 diameter, .0490 thick rim to a .420 diameter .0550 thick rim, you can fit a new barrel and it will chamber and fire but good luck getting it to extract. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck or hurt any feelings but this is really basic 1911 info, are you sure you want to take on this project ? You sound like you have a little machiining experience, I'd reccomend Kuhnhausens 1911 building book. It will tell you everything you wanna know about building and fitting parts. I also noticed you said California, do you travel out of state to shoot ? Isnt CA like HI and everybody is limited to 10 round mags ? If so your better off staying with 45 as only advantage to 40 is round count and you get the disadvantage of smaller holes. Plus 45 top ends are way cheaper and easier to come by.

I can keep it .45, but I want a longslide w rd. capacity. I live in vegas too and have 20 rounders for when i shoot out of state, but in all honesty, I see open guns w Big sticks in CA, limited 20rd'ers and it doesnt seem like anyone cares. I saw a 3 gun match a couple weeks ago and saw 30 rd mags.. I know they probably registered before the ban, but it sont stop em from loading 20-30 into their guns. not trying to get anyone in trouble, just my observations. Whos to prove I didnt have these hi-caps since '93?

In Calif. it is illegal to purchase magazines with a capacity higher then 10 rds. It is not illegal to own or use mags of higher capacity.

MVZ

I am really confused as to what is legal and what is not. I'm not big on grey areas, and I am definately not going to pourposely break the law, or second guess what I believe to be legal. I have been told similar stories about the mags being legal to own, that you just cant buy em. I believe if that were fully true, everyone would just go to vegas and pick some up. It is a felony to possess hi-caps unless you are Law enforcement, or pre-ban mags. which of course is really undetectable. Just not worth comitting a felony over.

I have an STI EAGLE 5.5 .45 open gun that I wanted to convert to a semi longlslide .40 limited gun.

5.5"?

The 5" .40 STI is approved for Limited, as is the 6". Has STI sent in the certification papers to allow a 5.5 .40 to be legal?

In Calif. it is illegal to purchase magazines with a capacity higher then 10 rds. It is not illegal to own or use mags of higher capacity.

MVZ

I am really confused as to what is legal and what is not. I'm not big on grey areas, and I am definately not going to pourposely break the law, or second guess what I believe to be legal. I have been told similar stories about the mags being legal to own, that you just cant buy em. I believe if that were fully true, everyone would just go to vegas and pick some up. It is a felony to possess hi-caps unless you are Law enforcement, or pre-ban mags. which of course is really undetectable. Just not worth comitting a felony over.

Hi there,

First of all you can read all the laws and stuff here: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html

The short version is this: If you HAD >10 mags prior to 1 Jan 2000 you can still have and use them. If you registered your "assault weapon" you can still have and use it. New handguns have to be on the "list". A legal gun in the state can be transfered person to person through a FFL.

Later,

Chuck

PS: I am not a lawyer and I am not giving any legal advice by any of my posts here or anywhere.