Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rust from fingerprints

My son "Little FFL" (11 years old) seems to have a problem with steel guns. he will shoot a match with my wifes 45 and a week later the gun is covered with surface rust. He carried my mossberg 500 from the car last week and a week later his hand prints were on it.

My brother had a simular problem years ago and he took small amounts of Baking soda and it either cured it or it went away on its own.

Does any body else have this problem and if so what do you do short of drenching your guns with oil after each shooting session.

david

I have a shooting buddy that is the same way. He can rust any gun inside of 2 matches, regardless of the finish. Blued, stainless, Hard chrome, doesnt matter. He has relegated himself to just own guns with rust spots on them, while making a very pointed effort to wipe down guns after every match or practice and covering them in oil.

It's a body chemistry thing, that isnt completely uncommon, I'd have his sodium level checked at next school physical to rule out a medical solution, then your gonna have to go with salt proof coating type finish, Duracoat comes to mind.

I am usually out setting steel and moving walls...while the 1911 guys are standing around talking about how to get their guns to run. :P:D (Along with the guys that dick around "fixing" their Glocks too much.)

I sweat pretty good. The only thing that has rusted on my Glock is the sights...which are after-market.

Our local 11 year old use to pull the Glock trigger with his middle finger, as his trigger finger didn't quite reach.

Sorry if this is a drift. It just reminds me of the old story (is it true) of NASA doing all this research and spending money to get an ink pen that would write in space...the Russians, they just used a pencil.

You guys have no idea. <_<

My persperation is highly corrosive. I'm sure It would rust a Glock slide in short order.

I laugh at stainless, you would cry. :o

Edited by wide45

I used to have this problem. I used to touch a AUS8 blade and next day you could see my fingerprint in fine orange on it. My CZ mags would rust overnite if I didn't oil them after each use, to the point that they wouldn't drop free if not cleaned. I used to carry 000 steel wool in my range bag to make sure I can get them to work if I forgat to clean them between matches. To some extent I still rust things out but something changed a couple of years ago. It was about the same time I quite smoking but I'm not sure the two are related. Plus, if your 11 years old is smoking you got bigger issues.