Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem. 1100 trouble

Greetings, I've been lurking for a while and need some help, so here is my first post.

I have a 1100 with the speed loading spoon and has worked well for three years. Now after my last shot the bolt will not stay in the locked back position, any Ideas? Everything else functions great. Yeah yeah yeah I'm not buing a Italian shotgun.

No Amnesty for Illegals!

As could a change in ammo, or limpshouldering --- if it's an occasional thing. You have cleaned/lubed it recently and replaced the o-ring, right?

Tried all types of loads, has apretty new oring and it isn't occasional, and yes cleaned really well and lubed with no effect so Im leaning towards something mechanical.

Greetings, I've been lurking for a while and need some help, so here is my first post.

I have a 1100 with the speed loading spoon and has worked well for three years. Now after my last shot the bolt will not stay in the locked back position, any Ideas? Everything else functions great. Yeah yeah yeah I'm not buing a Italian shotgun.

How many rounds in the 3 years have you shot through the 1100?

Those loading gates can be finicky..

Check the roll pin that holds it in. If it is bent or broken it can cause the problem you are having.

The roll pin that hold the speed ramp in???

Yup --- it's time to pull the trigger group and take a good look at it. If you lock the bolt back manually, how far must you raise the EZ loader before it trips the bolt release?

Well, took it aprt tonight and everything looks good. The EZ loader rool pin seems to be pretty tight it has a little bit of play at the roll pin but not very much. I din't measure but it is probally travels 1/2 inch before it releases the bolt.

I might put 200 rounds through it in a year, not very much.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I check the Easy Loader is to lock the bolt back and bounce the butt stock on the floor 2 or 3 times at about 6 to 8 inches off of the floor. Now my 1100 has a soft buttplate on it. If the bolt goes forward then I will hold a pen/pencil between the Easy Loader and the receiver to keep it from moving and try it again. If it still goes forward you have a problem inside the receiver. If not, it's the Easy Loader or pin or alignment. Try this and let us know what happens.

Good Luck

Ronnie

PS: Make sure the gun is unloaded before you do this. :goof:

If all else fails try Shawn Carlock. He's an 1100 whiz. He's worked on both my 1100 and 11/87. He has a fix for the interceptor latch that makes it pretty bullet proof.

+1 to that! Helluva nice guy and a great rifle/shotgun smith. But be prepared to wait. Shawn is kinda busy right now building long range rifles that are headed off to "undisclosed locations". Call before you just send it in.

That's for sure! If you send a gun to him, make sure you have something else to use till you get it back. It took 4 months for my 1100, and 5-6 for my 11/87, which I left with him right after I picked up the 1100. It was worth the wait, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is how the M1100 is supposed to work:

When you pull the trigger, the hammer is released and the intercepter latch is shoved down ahead of the rim of the next shell in the magazine, insuring that one round (and only one round) will feed when the time comes. The carrier latch is also set, locking the shell carrier down;

The action bars are driven backwards by gas pressure on the piston, and the velocity it gets carries the action bars back against the action spring, hammer spring, feed latch, etc;

The bolt is unlocked and carried aft with the action bars;

As the action bars slide aft, a notch in one bar passes the feed latch, momentarily lifting the feed latch and allowing the aftmost shell to be fed by mag spring force;

The carrier dog catches a notch in the action bars, lcoking the action open;

When the fed shell gets all of the way back, it hits the carrier latch and unlocks the shell carrier;

The action bars start forward, pushing the shell carrier up to align the shell with the chamber, the bolt shoves the shell up the shell carrier, and into the chamber, and closed the gun for the next shot.

Yes, it is supposed to lock open every time, and be closed by the shell tripping the carrier latch.

So, does it lock open when cycled by hand with no ammo in it? It should...

Does it cycle reliably when shot with ammo in it? It might give malfs if it is not locking open on each shot...

When you load it and cycle it slowly by hand, (so that the fed shell does not trip the carrier latch) does it lock open then? It should...

If it screws up on any of these, check out the carrier latch and spring, and see if they bent, gummed up, have a broken spring etc.

Does it cycle smoothly or does it feel rough? If yes, how long has it been since the gas system has seen attention? I have seen them get so crusty that the action is tough to get fully open, but it is so slow that it has shells feeding...

Last, when was the last time the action spring was oiled? It resides in the utt stock with the tuning fork going into it. If that gets really drudded up, it might do the same thing as a crudded up gas system and action bars...

Try this stuff, and we shall see what you find out.

Billski

IPSCDRL, Thanks for the compliment. My first job out of college was at the famous musket mill in Ilion NY. At that time, the company's bread and butter was shotguns, and I was in the design area. I had better have learned something while I was there...

Now, I put that explanation in there so that breid and airframe mech could check out their guns properly, and then report back to us on what went wrong so we could all be smarter next time. SO, bried and airframe mech, what happened? Does anybody know what they are talking about here? Are your guns running again? We really want to know if what we said did you any good.

Billski

• 3 weeks later...
IPSCDRL, Thanks for the compliment. My first job out of college was at the famous musket mill in Ilion NY. At that time, the company's bread and butter was shotguns, and I was in the design area. I had better have learned something while I was there...

Now, I put that explanation in there so that breid and airframe mech could check out their guns properly, and then report back to us on what went wrong so we could all be smarter next time. SO, bried and airframe mech, what happened? Does anybody know what they are talking about here? Are your guns running again? We really want to know if what we said did you any good.

Billski

Thanks for the great information! I was just returning to write it all down. Give me another week to get back with you. In the middle of a class and haven't had my 1100 out in a long time.

Wow, Billski, that was a great description (just read it!). Answers some questions. I have a 1 yr. old 1100 Tactical that was worked on by Shawn Carlock. Great gun, but I'm finding that it often does not stay open after the last shot, and when hand cyling the action with dummy rounds the bolt will not stay back, no matter how slowly I work the action. The bolt does stay back when I hand cycle on an empty magazine. From your description it sounds like I might have a carrier latch problem.

Here is how the M1100 is supposed to work:

When you pull the trigger, the hammer is released and the intercepter latch is shoved down ahead of the rim of the next shell in the magazine, insuring that one round (and only one round) will feed when the time comes. The carrier latch is also set, locking the shell carrier down;

The action bars are driven backwards by gas pressure on the piston, and the velocity it gets carries the action bars back against the action spring, hammer spring, feed latch, etc;

The bolt is unlocked and carried aft with the action bars;

As the action bars slide aft, a notch in one bar passes the feed latch, momentarily lifting the feed latch and allowing the aftmost shell to be fed by mag spring force;

The carrier dog catches a notch in the action bars, lcoking the action open;

When the fed shell gets all of the way back, it hits the carrier latch and unlocks the shell carrier;

The action bars start forward, pushing the shell carrier up to align the shell with the chamber, the bolt shoves the shell up the shell carrier, and into the chamber, and closed the gun for the next shot.

Yes, it is supposed to lock open every time, and be closed by the shell tripping the carrier latch.

So, does it lock open when cycled by hand with no ammo in it? It should...

Yes

Does it cycle reliably when shot with ammo in it? It might give malfs if it is not locking open on each shot...

Yes

When you load it and cycle it slowly by hand, (so that the fed shell does not trip the carrier latch) does it lock open then? It should...

Yes

If it screws up on any of these, check out the carrier latch and spring, and see if they bent, gummed up, have a broken spring etc.

Does it cycle smoothly or does it feel rough? If yes, how long has it been since the gas system has seen attention? I have seen them get so crusty that the action is tough to get fully open, but it is so slow that it has shells feeding...

cycles well

Last, when was the last time the action spring was oiled? It resides in the utt stock with the tuning fork going into it. If that gets really drudded up, it might do the same thing as a crudded up gas system and action bars...

I haven't checked the spring, yet

Try this stuff, and we shall see what you find out.

Billski

Looks like we have narrowed it down to the easyloader by performing the drop test.

Do I need to replace the easyloader with a different brand or something else?

Edited by Airframe Mech

Mine had the same issue this weekend where the bolt would not stay locked back on an empty chamber.

When the bolt is back, I did the butt drop test the vibration caused the bolt to move forward.

When the pencil was wedged into the EZ Loader the bolt did not drop.

Given all this, what is the fix?