Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 40 cal magazine capacity, basepad and follower question

HSMITH

I have had fairly good luck getting 20 with STI tubes, Dawson +1 followers & pads but the last 6 I did only half would go 20 and they were a nightmare to reload.

They all felt stiffer than normal.

My own mags I just run 18 even though they will go 20, never really saw a need for those 2 extras.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on this topic since the last couple local matches seem to LOVE 20 and 21 round stages.

I have two STI mags with Grams followers and Dawson pads that hold 20. One is TIGHT at 20 and the other is a nearly reloadable 20.

My other two mags have only Dawson pads and hold 18. These are usually my 2nd and 3rd reload mags, or for Ltd10.

OK, the reason I asked in the beginning was I think I have a way to make standard STI tubes 20 round reloadable with Dawson follower, ISMI springs that isn't chopped down, and Dawson +1 pads. I know I can do it with Grams 4mm pads, but I prefer the durability and ease of the Dawson pads. I need to do some more testing, but so far so good.

As they come out of the pack the capacity ranges from 18-20 and reliability is sketchy, thus the motivation for the work I am doing.

• 5 years later...

Just read this thread. Found it in the basement ..... lol . dont think they will mind if i hijack a 5 year old thread. I just got a sti and 4 new sti mags from brownells. So without fully tuning the mag. I dont know how. I cant just add a +1 or +2 and new spring and have it work? Im happy with the 18 rd cause i shot revolver. But it i want one or two rounds whats the best way to do it yourself without breaking the bank? Thanks and sorry to bring back a old thread. Just searching info on springs and followers and sti mags 140mm.

• 2 years later...

This thread must only need updated every few years. I have 3 mags 2 18's and 1 19..... I just ordered a fourth and it came with a jacked spring, so sending it back. All have stock STI springs and followers with Dawson +1 basepad.

I want to redo springs and followers but goin to see how this runs.

See yall in three to five years when someone dusts this thread off again.

I have 1 20 round and 4 19 round. All are STI tubes with Grams internals and Dawson basepads. I think with a little love I could get the 19's up to 20. But they run solid now so I might just leave em.

I have 1 20 round and 4 19 round. All are STI tubes with Grams internals and Dawson basepads. I think with a little love I could get the 19's up to 20. But they run solid now so I might just leave em.

Got my 4th mag and they all are 18 reloadable. My one that hold 19, is tight! And worry about feed issues.

Jay, did you tune your mags or do anything other than drop new springs and followers in?