Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Moonclip Holder

Gary Stevens

Thanks to Bob Perdue for making me a neat new toy. I have been playing with my 625 in IDPA ESR. Bob makes a neat moonclip rig for USPSA that holds 8 moonclips stacked on 4 holders that have full length center rods to insure their retention. When I saw one I contacted Bob and requested two single holders for my IDPA ventures. Bob made them and they are neat. I can carry one directly in front of the holster with two stacked moonclips and one directly behind the holster with two stacked moonclips. After I make the initial loading of the revolver I only have the one moonclip in the back holder which brings me into rule compliance.

Now if I can just do my part........

Gary

"Veeeery Interesting!!!" as a certain helmeted fellow on "Laugh-In" used to say.

So are you still planning on using the same wheelgun in both ESR and SSR, with moons of .45ACP for ESR and .45 AutoRim in speedloaders (HA!!!!) in SSR?

Inquiring minds want to know, since I will be setting up a fun filled scenario (!!!!!) for the August match. And you know just how revolver friendly I can be :lol:

Very neat set-up, BTW.

Well I was very dejected as I left the last match with my super trick auto rim set up. However, when I read the results and observed that I actually beat Mr. Revolver I got more enthused :rolleyes:

As to your scenario, I quote my hero Al Bundy...."Let's rock".

Gary

Gary

I hate to bust your bubble but those carriers are not IDPA compliant. They are nice put don't pass the criteria in the rule book. :angry2:

From the rule book

Note: Moon clips may not be retained in the carrier by three

(3) or less cartridges. Side cuts are permitted for thumb and

index finger access only.

Edited by Gregg K

Was it the "covers at least 60% of the diameter" problem?

BTW, recheck the scores from last month's classifier. A certain individual couldn't make a calculator work properly, and added when he should have subtracted.

I was MUCH happier after a re-count, much like some politicians are. :D

Suggestion: Could you attach either a kydex/plastic tab, or a thin steel/aluminum tab, up the front of the holder, (like the front part of a "Shoot-the-Moon" carrier) If it covered the front of the moon, and went to the top of the post, that should cover at least 60%

Along with providing part of the 60% coverage, the tab would also help to meet criteria "C. Hold the moon clip with enough tension to allow it to be turned upside down and retain it while fully loaded" (from page 38, Official Rule Book)

I still think they look pretty neat.

Was it the "covers at least 60% of the diameter" problem?

Suggestion: Could you attach either a kydex/plastic tab, or a thin steel/aluminum tab, up the front of the holder, (like the front part of a "Shoot-the-Moon" carrier) If it covered the front of the moon, and went to the top of the post, that should cover at least 60%

Along with providing part of the 60% coverage, the tab would also help to meet criteria "C. Hold the moon clip with enough tension to allow it to be turned upside down and retain it while fully loaded" (from page 38, Official Rule Book)

By the time you get the 60% coverage, I think that the one on bottom would be pretty tough to get to, at least for my small hands.

We are now working on a moonclip holder that operated much like a jet fighter ejection seat. It will be connected to a wireless implant in the shooters forehead (much like the Borg) that will cause the moonclip to eject vertically whenever the shooter deems it time to reload. The only trick is catching the moonclip in mid-air and that nasty problem of premature ejection. This should take care of the problem of getting the bottom moonclip out quickly.

They don't call me Inspector Gadget, among other things, for nothing.

Gary

We are now working on a moonclip holder that operated much like a jet fighter ejection seat. It will be connected to a wireless implant in the shooters forehead (much like the Borg) that will cause the moonclip to eject vertically whenever the shooter deems it time to reload. The only trick is catching the moonclip in mid-air and that nasty problem of premature ejection. This should take care of the problem of getting the bottom moonclip out quickly.

They don't call me Inspector Gadget, among other things, for nothing.

Gary

No - install a homing pigeon chip so it automatically eject from the holder into the cylinder.

Thanks Dave, Lord knows I need something to make me look fast :rolleyes:

You wouldn't sell me that gun, you know how much I would like it and your just teasing me.

Gary

Actually, I sent you a PM. I don't want to sell you the 3 1/2" nickel but I'll trade you the 4". My sources tell me you may have a worn out old fixed sight N frame I'm looking for!

Dave

Edited by Airedale