Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Prez with a Revo

BigDave

Shooting the El Prez with a revolver is definately a lesson in patience and smoothness (especially being mainly a Limited shooter). What is a decent time on the El Prez for a Revo shooter? I know that Rich Bitow and Jerry M. shot sub 7 sec times at the FGN's last year, but those guys seem to be (especially Jerry M.) in a league of their own.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

The last El Prez I tried was a little over seven seconds (7.10). Draw is somewhere in the 1.25 area. Reload under 2.5. My reloads are generally speaking between 1.95 and 2.50 seconds. If I screw one up really bad, it's 3.0 (at 10 meters or so). My draws are generally speaking between 0.95 and 1.35 seconds.

Fastest reload ever timed 1.91

Fastest draw ever timed 0.94

Fastest split ever timed 0.25 :(

Sounds like you're on the right track. 8.80 is good. Especially since you've only been shooting for a short time (revolver that is).

Björn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody

Jerry Miculek did it in 3 seconds ( and 8 shots in 1 second ) some years ago setting his world records.

At that time a short video of the event was available in the Net.

I wish to see again that video and wonder how he can do that!

Jerry's record of 12 shots in 2.99 seconds was timed from first shot to last shot.

Not actually a full "El Prez" with 3 targets and starting hands above shoulder facing away from target.

He did it with a 625 (.45 ACP with moons).

Target used was a NRA D1 at I believe 5 yards,

there were of course 12 holes with the grouping spread vertically rather badly.

That still means he can do it in:

Draw: 0.8 s

5 splits + transitions: 0.17 s

Reload : 1.75 s

5 splits:0.17 s

4.25 s

And I'm not even using record splits. Those are pretty realistic numbers. :)

Didn't Bitrow have the fastest revolver El Pres. at the Nats? I mean, sure Jerry is one of the fastest revolver shooters on the planet, but let's not exaggerate his ability to mythical proportions. I seriously doubt than any revolver shooter alive today could muster a 4.25 second El Pres on demand and get any kind of decent hits. :o

Hi everybody

Jerry Miculek did it in 3 seconds ( and 8 shots in 1 second ) some years ago setting his world records.

At that time a short video of the event was available in the Net.

I wish to see again that video and wonder how he can do that!

The Miculek records do not count the draw time. They were from the ready position. Buzz to last shot.

Ron, I don't know if Jerry could do it on demand. What I do know (I got his tape in last week), is that he can shoot a double Bill Drill from the holster (Draw, shoot six, reload, shoot six) in 4.45s. It was not a "glory run". He had a hickup after the reload (which was 1.72 BTW). I also know (also on the tape) that he can shoot two shots on three targets from low ready in 1.61 s.

Multiply 1.61 by two and add a cuple of thents for a draw (say .3) and a reload (1.8), and you have a 5.32 El Prez.

• 2 weeks later...

smoney, yep. Especially when you take "best draw etc.". I used it in this case, because I've seen Jerry M. do this on tape and it looked "easy" for him to do.

And yes, it is fun to do. Like with Grauffel. I once took his best draw, splits and reloads and realized, he "could" do like a 2.3 sec El prez. :)

Duane, seriously, that surprized me. I did a 7.1 El prez the last time I tried. That feels so close to a 6.7s El Prez. And i can't imagine that I could even come that "close" to TRGO ;). My splits suck and my fastest reload ever timed was 1.81, vs. Jerry's 1.4 super reloads and his unreal splits. How the hell...? :blink: It's still half a second though :|

Jerry was seriously having an off-day there. After the 1st Factory Nats, people were commenting on what a bad match he'd shot - for Jerry Miculek. And he still beat the 2nd place Revolver shooter by almost 300 match points!

• 11 months later...

I´m new to revolver in IPSC, have been shooting Limited or as it is called here in sweden Standard, and my first try at the El Prez was 10.08 and 59 pts. Its the friggin reload but it will surely have improved after this season as I intend to compete revolver class only in the future. Maybe with an exception if I am needed as a team member in Standard class.

Very cool to read this thread again after some time. Thanks for kicking it back up

One year ago I posted:

The last El Prez I tried was a little over seven seconds (7.10). Draw is somewhere in the 1.25 area. Reload under 2.5. My reloads are generally speaking between 1.95 and 2.50 seconds. If I screw one up really bad, it's 3.0 (at 10 meters or so). My draws are generally speaking between 0.95 and 1.35 seconds.

Fastest reload ever timed 1.91

Fastest draw ever timed 0.94

Fastest split ever timed 0.25

Björn

I did a 6.01 El Prez last week with terrible hits, and a 6.38 with good hits. My fastest reload went from 1.91 to 1.58 (1.9's are "easy" now) and fastest split from .25 to.20. Fastest draw went from .94 to .83.

It's fun to dig up old threads and see the progress you've made in only one year.

BTW, welcome to the boards Whizz. Nice to see a fellow revolvers shooter from Europe here.