Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rolling Bench

Howdy - I'm new here, and to reloading. I just ordered an Xl650, and I'm debating where to put it. I'd like advice on whether bolting it to a heavy (approx 150 lbs) rolling miter saw stand I have would be feasible.

The stand has to two fixed feet, and two large locking wheels (not casters). The reason I’m considering this is that I have a woodshop in half of my garage and space is at a premium. I try to have everything portable so that I can set my small space up according the project underway. If necessary, I could make a fixture so that the entire cart can be clamped to the wall while in use, and unclamped to roll it around.

Opinions please.

Regards,

Steve

gar7.jpg

I think you might want a heavier bench.

What works for many, is to bolt the press to a sturdy base, such as a section of 2X10. Clamp the base to a permanent bench when the press is needed. When you are done, unclamp the press, and it can be stored out of the way.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I could use the bench in the background, using Wide45's suggestion, but while it's very sturdy in the down direction, it's got some flex in the up direction (maybe an inch movement at the edge with an approx 50lbs push upwards) Would I need to reinforce it?

Thanks again

I can't tell if that stand has a lower shelf or not, but a lot of folks add to the mass of their bench by loading up a lower shelf with a couple hundred pounds of bullets. If it doesn't have one, you may be able to make one for it easy enough.

I've loaded on some pretty rickety 'benches' over the years. Solider is better, but you can get by with a lot less if you have to. The chunk of 2x10 or 2x12 and C-clamps (or, better, an array of T-nuts and bolts) works anywhere from OK to pretty well, depending on how well it's clamped and how good the bench is.

I've loaded on some pretty rickety 'benches' over the years. Solider is better, but you can get by with a lot less if you have to. The chunk of 2x10 or 2x12 and C-clamps (or, better, an array of T-nuts and bolts) works anywhere from OK to pretty well, depending on how well it's clamped and how good the bench is.

When between places after Katrina, I had a 650 on a piece of 2x12 and C clamped to friends kitchen counters and hotel room desks and coffee tables, and the tail gate of my truck. Its amazing what you can get away with. They all worked but heavier is better and the more stable a platform the better the ammo. IMHO :rolleyes:

I used a large Black and Decker Workmate with a plywood top as a bench for a year or so. The top was two pieces of 3/4 or so and screwed to the frame of the workmate. The step on the bottom was made into a shelf to hold bullets. Worked ok. So I think your mobile saw table should work as well.

Not sure If you are planning on buying a new bench, but I just bought a bench from Sam's club. Paid $199.00, The bench is 6ft long, 25 inches deep, sits about 37-1/2 inches off the ground, and has a 1-3/4 inch "butcher block" maple top (very heavy). The bench also has 6 metal legs with screw in adjustable feet that swivel to match uneven wooden floors like mine. I have a 550 mounted on Dillon's strong mount (raises the press about 8.5 inches) which put the press handle at shoulder height when I'm standing.

In case it helps anybody, I've included before and after photos of my bench. I pulled the bench 6 inches from the wall, and built the shelf to sit against the wall and rest on 3 inches of the bench. I need the shelf space, and figure the shelf will help hold down the bench (not that I think it would really move). The bench is 25 inches deep so that with the shelf taking up 3 inches I still have 22 inches of work surface. With the 1-3/4 inch thick maple top, the bench cannot flex at all.

As I've said in my last post, the bench is $199.00 from Sam's club. I had spent some looking around the web and could not find anything cheaper that looked sturdy enough. The manufacturer of the bench is Seville, If you do not have a Sam's club nearby, or don't want to use one, you can find the bench by goggling "Seville Commercial WorkBench"

post-11486-1182014584.jpg

post-11486-1182014589.jpg

I load on a rolling bench.. with the casters/wheels locked.. it does not move.

It is a tad heavier than most rolling benches. It's really my woodworking table.. I'd guess it weighs in somewhere around 500 pounds or so.

The top is 2 1/2" laminated maple.. there's no flex at all :)