Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open (help)

3gunnah

I have been given the rare chance to try an open gun for a couple of weeks before I buy it. I have limited exp. with this type of gun. first the gun. It's an sv frame, caspian 5" stainless slide, barsto .355 38super barrel with a serendipity sl c-more. The ammo I was given is a mix of 38 super and 38 supercomp brass the gun runs both flawlessly. which is better? Next the mags(140mm) have funky plastic basepads that slide almost off the mags when you seat them and you can not put more than 22rds in them or they get stuck at the bottom. What can I do to fix this? lastly I want to get a big stick for this gun and have seen some of the other posts talking about mag interchangabilty. Which one do I want? any help you guys and gals have would be great ! Also any good loads for 125 zero bullets thanks?? :unsure:

Well, I can nail down the basepads, they are Arredondo. Slip them off and slip on some Dawson basepads, that problem is gone.

If the gun runs both I would run SuperComp, less sensitive to OAL in the magazines and easier to get along with all around.

For the big stick an STI tube is about $25 cheaper than an SV and can be made to run well with 28 for sure and probably 29 rounds in it using SuperComp. I would use a Dawson +1 basepad and Dawson Competition follower with an ISMI spring in it if it were my magazine. You can get one tuned, set up with all the good parts and ready to run for about $150.

The only thing I don't like is the stainless slide, my personal opinion is that stainless steel has evil spirits trapped inside. All kidding aside it can be made to work well, I just choose not to mess with it in anything but barrels and small parts.

Open is a LOT of fun, if you try it and the gun runs well you will likely be hooked.

In most cases using 38 Supercomp cases will let you get an additional round in the mag, or make seating the mag with the same number of rounds easier. The downside is that they tend to cost a bit more than regular Super cases which matters more if you're shooting lost brass matches.

The Dawson basepads work great, but the Grams Engineering pads are also really great. The Grams are a bit easier to take apart at a match for cleaning because you can pull the U pin out easier than depressing the small spring-loaded plunger on the Dawson pads (and you can lose the spring and/or plunger pretty easily). The Grams pads seem to have a bit more room in them (4mm) compared with the Dawson since the mags are easier to seat....I've got some of each set up with the same springs/followers.

For ammo, if you can find out who the smith was and see what they recommend for the gun, you'll have a good start. I'll try forwarding you a list of Super loads that might help you narrow things down some.

Well, I can nail down the basepads, they are Arredondo.

I have a couple different types of Arredondo basepads, and neither of them show this behavior. How are you so sure they're Arredondo??

The Grams are a bit easier to take apart at a match for cleaning because you can pull the U pin out easier than depressing the small spring-loaded plunger on the Dawson pads (and you can lose the spring and/or plunger pretty easily).

You shouldn't have to depress the plunger on the pads, either - the slide should just slip (I believe there are some tips floating around the forum for how to correct this on your pads, too...). In theory, the Dawson pad should be easier than the Grams pad. I would use the Dawson pads, personally, if they fit my hand better - they're a tad too big. Back in the day, the Dawson pads that used a U-pin were just perfectly sized...

The Arredondo pads fit my hands best - I have the flat pads, and the +4 (or whatever they are) hollow pads. Both are real nice, as well.

As far as Super vs. Supercomp, folks use both to good effect. My gun will run both, as well. I get an extra round in my mags loading Supercomp, and I get better reliability. I have one mag that won't run right w/ Super, but is 100% w/ Supercomp. Supercomp is more expensive - but I feel its worth it for the added reliability factor.

Big sticks... I have an STI and an SV big stick. The STI holds 28, the SV holds 29. Both are "tuned", and are equipped w/ appropriate Grams guts and pads. Some STIs will hold 29... a very rare SV will hold 30, apparently. I believe you can buy a tuned, ready to go big stick from Bob Londrigan @ Brazos Custom Gunworks. You might be able to buy a pre-made mag from Grams, as well. I'm not clear if Dawson is still selling tuned mags, or not - best to check the website or call them, at this point...

Dave, most Arredondo pads I have seen are a little 'squishy' feeling when seated aggressively. On this last run of magazines I have tuned there have been a bunch of them in the mix and all of them show it to some extent. The ones with a really tight fit on the magazine, that take a good push to seat, are a lot better than those that are well used or fit a little looser on the mag. I have and have seen a good many of just about every basepad out there and the Arredondo are the only ones that feel like that across the board.

I like the Dawson pads because they are a snap to pop off and put back on, no tools needed. The Grams pads are fine once used to them and with an Arredondo brush to take off, but I don't think they are as easy as the Dawson.

The part about the follower getting stuck: there is another part that should be in there from Ralph. It has two "fingers" on it and sits in the basepad. I don't know what he calls it, but I have to use them with my Dawson pads or the followers will stick.

The part about the follower getting stuck: there is another part that should be in there from Ralph. It has two "fingers" on it and sits in the basepad. I don't know what he calls it, but I have to use them with my Dawson pads or the followers will stick.

You mean these?

<a href="http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1001,2013&PID=fc25l4900rdqps&GID=INS" target="_blank">You mean these?

</a>

That's them ! I use the one in the back of the image in my STI mags, only the 140's. The 170 works as-is, mostly because the pad doesn't add as much at +1. Must not make as much of a gap.

<a href="http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1001,2013&PID=fc25l4900rdqps&GID=INS" target="_blank">You mean these?

</a>

That's them ! I use the one in the back of the image in my STI mags, only the 140's. The 170 works as-is, mostly because the pad doesn't add as much at +1. Must not make as much of a gap.

Actually, as long as you use SV tubes, Dawson +1 pads, and Grams internals, this issue goes away. The problem with STI tubes is that length was added to the bottom of the tubes when the AW ban kicked in but not to the ribs on the sides which keep the follower from canting over and trapping rounds. As stated already, if you use the arredondo pads, they require that a spacer be used to take up the extra space and prevent this from happening.

As stated already, if you use the arredondo pads, they require that a spacer be used to take up the extra space and prevent this from happening.

That same spacer also helps keep the basepad from sliding off the bottom of the mag - it basically serves as a "retainer"..... two problems solved.

Bruce

The Dawson basepads work great, but the Grams Engineering pads are also really great. The Grams are a bit easier to take apart at a match for cleaning because you can pull the U pin out easier than depressing the small spring-loaded plunger on the Dawson pads (and you can lose the spring and/or plunger pretty easily).

FWIW, Limcat pads (the brass ones) and Bolen pads need the plunger depressed. Dawson pads are toolless.

Thanks for the info now another stupid question. how to tell what brand of mag these are! the look like sti mags but they dont have the center rib. I have determined that the base pads are arredondo they say p-140 on them. I dont think they are for this mag because the tube is almost 140mm by it self With the pad it is 3/4 of an inch longer. any thoughs thanks.

The Dawson basepads work great, but the Grams Engineering pads are also really great. The Grams are a bit easier to take apart at a match for cleaning because you can pull the U pin out easier than depressing the small spring-loaded plunger on the Dawson pads (and you can lose the spring and/or plunger pretty easily).

FWIW, Limcat pads (the brass ones) and Bolen pads need the plunger depressed. Dawson pads are toolless.

I know that's what they say, and I've heard they work that way, but mine won't slide forward without depressing the plunger a little bit. I'm also worried that if I go a bit too far forward I'll lose the spring and plunger....it's only happend at home and I found them, but it still makes me worry. I'm very careful when I clean them at the range :)

the follow in the mag getting stuck at the bottom with more than 21 rounds in a 140mm tube is a common problem.. changing to a dawson basepad will not solve that problem, i've tried it. after the 21st round the follow goes below the rib of the magazine and can fall sidways. i use grams guts and 11mm basepad on my 140mm mags. as for the big stick i have found that the dawson follows are worthless. you can only get 25-26 rounds no matter wut spring, i have tried that to. i have found that using grams guts and a 4mm basepad on the big stick, i get 28+1 and never fails. also shoot supercomp

shane c