Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED7000 problem

vluc

Yesterday, I pulled my CED7K out to use for a match Sunday. Powered up and all I got was a blank screen. Pushed all the buttons, nothing. Unit would not turn off. Waited 15 minutes or so and it shut down. Turned it on again, same thing.

Charged it overnight just in case that was an issue, but nada. It seems to have expired. Sorry to see as I've only had the unit since October of last year.

Has anyone else experienced this or any similar issue? I just used the unit two weeks ago when dry firing, and it worked fine.

Both my timer and my friend's timer did the same thing. I called up CED about it and they said to send it back to them and they would fix, or more likely replace it. They said something about the first batch of timers were all doing what you described.

Vince,

This is a firmware problem they had with the first batch of timers with the Epson processors and it only shows itself when the timer battery drains completely. Call CED and they'll either re-program or replace it for no charge.

As they explained it to me a few months ago: There was a problem with a small percentage of units of from the first batch manufactured. There's no way to tell which ones are the bad timers, so when one goes down, they simply replace it. I was truly impressed not only with their warranty policy, but with the fact that when I didn't immediately reply to Charles Hardy's e-mail, he sent me another one a day or so later to follow up. I like CED....

Funny you should mention it. Like all the other stories, mine did the same thing. And my experience was the same as well. I got my new timer today in the mail I asked for and received one of there new Tactical models instead of the "regular" model. I am very happy with CED's service and I highly recommend their products.

I had the same problem also along with a friend who bought his first. He sent his back and got a replacement one. I thought I waited long enough where all the bugs were worked out but still had the same problem. Since there were no "WARRANTY VOID IF SEAL BROKEN" sticker I took it apart (2 screws holding it together with a snap lock case). Pryed it straight apart (The battery is attached to the rear of the case and connects to the front thru a small 2 or 4 pin connector), amazed at how small the battery was and put it back together. I turned it back on and what do you know, it works again. Saved me the cost of sending it back and being without a timer for a week or 2. YMMV

My thanks to Charles Hardy and the folks at CED. I received my new CED7K this morning.

Had it not been for the Monday holiday, i would have had it for use at Sunday's match.

Great folks, will have to buy some more of their line.

• 1 month later...

Almost the same story here. Got mine in October and have used it about once a month since then.

I was ROing my son this Sunday and, at the end of his run, the display was all chopped up, as if there were horizontal lines of missing pixels so that you could barely make out what the numbers were. Within a few moments it became totally inoperable and I could not turn it off or on. It had a random pattern of pixels and shapes on the screen. The battery was fully charged and had run about 20 shooters before it failed. It has never been dropped or damaged in any way and the battery was never drained to zero.

Hope I am a lucky as the rest of you guys ... The customer service folks started out asking me about how long I have owned it and if I could provide a receipt, to show when I purchased it, etc.. The thing comes with a 2 year warranty and has been out less than 12 months so it SHOULD be under warranty. I provided everything and mailed it off. I will keep my fingers crossed.