Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Saiga 12 /20 Shooters out there?

mikeAZ

What the opinion of the Sagia 12 guage????.... The 10 round mags are out. Lots of parts availible. I've been sitting on a couple for a while (no 10 round mags were being made then). All the good stuff done to the gun + barrel ported, a nice shooter for the $$$$. (I've had a Benelli S90). I have too shoot in the "open" class anyhow, so the shotgun really has no bearing on my situation. What's up?

I use a Sagia shooting 3-gun

What the opinion of the Sagia 12 guage????.... The 10 round mags are out. Lots of parts availible. I've been sitting on a couple for a while (no 10 round mags were being made then). All the good stuff done to the gun + barrel ported, a nice shooter for the $$$$. (I've had a Benelli S90). I have too shoot in the "open" class anyhow, so the shotgun really has no bearing on my situation. What's up?

post-1960-1180230887.jpg

post-1960-1180230893.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my Saiga 12 last week. I actually had the PolyChoke here before I got the gun(S) :surprise: and the 4 AGP mags are in transit now. I need to break it in, figure out how to reload it somewhat quickly and find a godamned mag carrier of some kind. I am looking at a couple different dump pouches for now.

I also have a wraithmaker on the way but not for a few more weeks. I am not sure how thats going to fit into the plan since you cant start with more than 12 in the gun in open. No matter what though its gonna be FUN! :cheers:

Yeah, just like Benelli :lol:

IMO, the 20's feel more like a rifle than a shotgun. Both run fine, like everything else, once you learn what to feed 'em. Like all of our toys, they need some tweaking to do the things we ask, as opposed to the half-box of shells a year most shooters run through their guns.

20 round drums for the Saiga 12 should be on the street in a few weeks, which will make them a bit more interesting for outlaw matches. Ten round mags for the -12 are everywhere, now, so you don't have to pay anyone to build Frankenmags anymore ;) Saiga 20 10-round mags are still available only from the factory.

Alex

Yeah, just like Benelli :lol:

IMO, the 20's feel more like a rifle than a shotgun. Both run fine, like everything else, once you learn what to feed 'em. Like all of our toys, they need some tweaking to do the things we ask, as opposed to the half-box of shells a year most shooters run through their guns.

20 round drums for the Saiga 12 should be on the street in a few weeks, which will make them a bit more interesting for outlaw matches. Ten round mags for the -12 are everywhere, now, so you don't have to pay anyone to build Frankenmags anymore ;) Saiga 20 10-round mags are still available only from the factory.

Alex

I got got both my S12's ( was pimpin so many places I had 2 show up the same time) last week and have 4 10 round mags on coming from AGP any day. I have already found out that loading a full 5 round mag on a closed bolt is pretty much a exercise in futility. I managed it IF I held it muzzle down on a wood spool and pushed hard. I need to get the LRBHO and extended mag release done by someone who knows how and who actually has one. Tromix is backed up till the Cubs win at this point. Looks like this project will be drawn out. I hoped to use it this season but it may be a fall/winter kind of thing. Thats OK. I also have a Wraithmaker BO'd and they emailed me last week so it should be here in a couple weeks!

Has anyone seen this and would it be legal in open if the barrel was 18" OAL with the supp?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16371

Cool pix on the first page!

Hey Benny, add that they are good when they work. B)

I saw three at Ironman, all three had jam issues during my stage (day 3, with only a few stages to go), which is too bad, because all three shooters had the reloads nailed... 10 rounds very fast!

I saw three at Ironman, all three had jam issues during my stage (day 3, with only a few stages to go), which is too bad, because all three shooters had the reloads nailed... 10 rounds very fast!

I had one malfunction at ironman with mine on day 3 on stage 11. One of the slugs I was shooting had the front edge crushed a bit and didn't chamber when the previous round was fired. Simply racking the bolt chambered it and the rest of stage it cycled fine. I should have paid closer attention to the shells I was loading into the mags, but it really didn't cost me much time. I had one operator enduced malfunction on stage 1 on day one. I didn't fully seat the magazine, so when I picked the gun up the mag fell out (oops). I simply locked the mag back in and finished the stage.

There were two other guys on my squad using Saigas, that had issues with them. As far as I could tell a lot of the problems others had were as a result of lack of maintenance, or the shells they were using had issues feeding from the magazine or cycling the action. One of the guys on my squad ditched his Saiga and finished the match with his M2...which had it's own unique problem of the last shell out of the tube consistently not coming out on the carrier far enough to get chambered. Another M1 on our squad had the rear sight come loose, and required duct taping back on. A winchester SX2 had the stock come loose, again another duct tape fix required. And the 2 1100s on our squad had intermittent failures of various kinds too.

Overall I felt using the Saiga was a big advantage for me, and allowed me to focus more on shooting than reloading. They do require maintenance of both gun and magazine, and selection of appropriate loads to run. I think the pay off in speed is worth it if you're willing to dedicate the time to understanding and becoming proficient with the gun.

The main problem with the Saigas is that the larger capacity magazines are designed to operate with 3" shells and using 2 3/4" shells can cause feeding problems.

I had to modify the followers (using shims) to make my 3" magazines reliable with 2 3/4 shells.

I have had no feed problems with mine but I was using AA 1 1/8 oz loads for bird shot. The kick like a mule in my Citori but I dont even really notice it in my Saiga. I did find its easier to reload the 10 rounders than the factory 8s. I think the 10s are a little thinner and slicker where they fit into the mag well.

DSC00239.jpg