Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Proposal

Patrick Sweeney

Here's the deal:  the powers that be want to keep things 6-shot so new shooters aren't faced with an equipment race.  How to make higher numbers more attractive?

One way:  Work a deal with S&W.  If you have a suitable gun, S&W will upgrade it to a seven or eight shot gun, at cost, IF you are a USPSA member.  And the USPSA then allows that gun (or one like it) as a Stock Revolver.  We get more shots.  We get a lure for new members.  S&W gets their name all over the deal.

Am I just smoking something?  Or can this work?

"Am I just smoking something?  Or can this work?"

Yeah, you're smoking something. ;) There's no way USPSA is going to buy off on a rules change that gives a serious advantage to anyone who hasn't spent the time and money to have their gun modified by Smith & Wesson. That's not exactly something the average "entry level" guy is going to have going for him - or even be willing to do.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 8:43 pm on Dec. 13, 2002)

Why is everybody so damn difficult about the 6 shot limit? Jeez, maybe we can work out a deal with Wilson to have them secretly make 11 round mags, so you can have an advantage in Lim-10. Listen carefully, the 6 round limit is to stop an equipment race. The end. OK end of rant.:)

Keep the six shot rule. If you want more, shoot another class.

What is the feeling of the members here about the "static reloads" most courses of fire require of the revolver shooter?

I mean the stage which has 7 or 8 shots that can be taken from only one window or the speed shoot that has 7 or 8 shots per target array.

Patrick, LOL, I am not mad or anything, just afraid that the "good old" 6 round limit will disappear and lead to complete chaos . Sorry if I appeared a little angry. What I like about RevClass is the equality in gear (more or less). And, yes, it's a PITA to do a standing reload. But it's also a nice form of competition. It's just all part of the deal I guess. And to give you a real reaction to your post: I think it cannot be done. You'll never get S&W to do that.

BTW, I LOVE 8 round speed shoots with my 625

As previously noted the 8 shot standing reloads are a major PITA but only if you are comparing your performance to your buddy who is, if you'r shooting IPSC or Steel,  running his lazer guided, gyro stabelized, dot sighted, magic bottom feeder with a 28 round mag.

If running 6 against an 8 shooter, well, that's irritating. But, since its a revo, it's OK.

Forget about cutting a deal with S&W. It's the shooting not the equipment race that brings folks to this game.

Spook,

Thanks for the info.  That explains all those guys with 8 shooters that I hear complaining.  Of course most of them are FAR from being new shooters so their opinions may be biased.  It does seem a shame to disenfranchise those shooters who enjoy the craft of revo shooting and have already invested big bucks into the higher capacity revolvers.  

Thanks,

-ld

Yeah, you're right. It is a shame. It would be so cool if everybody could just shoot what they had and if things would still be equal. But I think it is easier to purchase an extra sixshooter, than to go out an buy an "extra" 8-shot revolver. BTW, you can compete with an 8 or 7 shooter, by loading only 6. It is a pain, but it can be done.

spook

sorry about using a real name. I thought it a cool name to use. I will change to something else so as not to offend.

Anyway, it's nice that Brian opened this revo forum

I have a long way to go before I can shoot these round things well. But if the stages are not too  ammo intensive I usually manage to beat a bunch of the guys running bottom feeders, which I also shoot at certain times of the year.

Mostly I just find a revolver more interesting to shoot right now. And it's nice having the brass in little piles instead of spread across hells half acre.

Bjorn,

spook is a really cool guy and I'm sure he was in no way offended, so no need to change. In fact I don't think you can change your name after you register.

In your post you referred to "guys running bottom feeders". I assume it was a humorous reference to a particular style of gun but I haven't heard that term before. To which guns does it refer??

Bjorn, dude, I didn't mean it like that. I'm really really NOT offended DON'T CHANGE YOUR FORUMNAME! I'M REALLY COOL WITH IT!! etc., etc.

BTW, are you from Germany or Scandinavia?

Don't worry about getting used to revo's. In a couple of months you have to get used to shooting autos again.

The bass thing is really cool. Especially when you shoot moonclips.

By "bottom feeder" I just intended any sidearm that feeds from the bottom. Since I have shot far more from 1911's and such than I have from revolvers I did not intend it  be taken as a negetive. Besides, in the near future I hope to come across a nice 1911 single-stack  in 9mm or maybe 38 Super. Fun calibers and a good place for one of the youngsters to begin.

spook,  from Scandinavia but in Arizona. With age the heat is easier than the cold.

At the recently concluded Rio Salado Classic, I met one of your Dutch shooters. He had gotten tired of the cold and rain and decided to come play in the sun for a while. Seemed like a decent person. He was shooting an SVI, if my memory is correct - C or B class.  At home he shot both revolvers and semi.

Hello Bjorn, (this is confusing but we will get used to it!)

Spook (Bjorn) is a shooting buddy from me. The person you met in the Rio Salado Classic must be Gerald Appelhof. He is a fine shooter and a nice person too.

He told me he was B-class by now.

Greetings Adrie