Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UPS Gorillas

bountyhunter

My high school buddy's favorite insult was to call somebody a baby gorilla..... because the standard baby gorilla has only two modes:

They either destroy something or, failing that, simply poop on it.

The UPS gorillas did the former to my shipment. I am the last of the buffalo here where I work that still uses a Mac and I run old software (Canvas 5.0.1 for example) and I have a ton of files in old formats I use to create new graphics and documents that convert directly to TIF and go into PC documents. So, my reliable Power Mac 8500 was my main tool.

It started to sputter (and fail to turn on) and I went searching for a similar unit. I found one online (back east) and ordered it. To be ultra safe, I had him let UPS pack it...... it arrived with the box bashed on two corners. When I picked it up I could hear loose metal debris shifting around inside. The poor computer had been hit so hard on the front left corner that the plastic case was shattered and the metal chassis was damaged and bent. It looked like they backed a truck into it.

That "fragile" sticker on the box must translate into some other meaning in Gorilla-speak.

Luckily, I have found another place with refurbished old Macs (for 3X what I paid for the other one). I plan to demand that UPS pay for the full replacement cost since it's their fault I had to buy another one. We'll see how that goes.

Edited by bountyhunter

the only way is to refuse shipment at time of delivery, and therein lies the catch-22, If you tell driver to leave it on porch or garage etc they are pretty much off the hook, Signature deliveries dont work either because they deliver during the day when anyone with money to order stuff is at work. I ordered a Remington 1858 shipper supposedly required adult signature nope left in the rain on the porch which my dog found very funny that the mail man brought him a shiney new chew toy.

For the most part they do a very good job, but that's no solice for when get one mashed. I ship things and get things shipped to me every day, it's rare that they mash one, but it does happen....

I hope it works out or you. I always insure for the amount and have had good luck getting my money when I needed too.

JT

Edited by JThompson

For the most part they do a very good job, but that's no solice for when get one mashed. I ship things and get things shipped to me every day, it's rare that they mash one, but it does happen....

I hope it works out or you. I always insure for the amount and have had good luck getting my money when I needed too.

JT

I didn't send it, I received so I was not the one who would have bought insurance. The bizarre thing is the buyer contacted me before shipping and said UPS had warned him to let them pack it because they were the "professionals" so I sent extra money to cover the $75 for the shipping so they would pack it..... thinking that would give better results.

I don't know what amount (if any) of insurance was purchased by the sender, but it's an old computer, so it' market value is only about $200. I found another one for about $185, and I plan to prsent UPS with the bill I have paid to get that one and they had better pay..... :angry:

It's just infuriating to have UPS scalp me for their "professionsl" packing and get such a crappy job. They wrapped two layers of bubble wrap around it and then dumped it in a big box with loose packing peanuts. It obviously shifted toward one side and then took a nasty blow which shattered the case and mangled the chassis.

Any idiot could have seen that packing job sucked.

Edited by bountyhunter

the only way is to refuse shipment at time of delivery, and therein lies the catch-22, If you tell driver to leave it on porch or garage etc they are pretty much off the hook

I don't think so. He did leave it on the porch, but I got home a couple of hours later and called UPS immediately. They know it was their fault. I can't believe they are going to try to weasel out of this, but you never know.

It's not a huge dollar amount, but their absolute arrogance of bullying the guy into paying extra for their packing.... and then doing a terrible job is what burns me up.

I hate those stories. I've had customers call with tire marks on their boxes. Lots o' luck on UPS admitting fault and paying.

I'll get my money's worth out of them one way or another. The easy way is if they give me a fair settlement and pay for the damage they did.

The other way will involve me contacting the state attorney general, local DA fraud unit, and giving UPS about 40 years worth of badmouthing on every forum I affiliate with.

Their choice.

I love UPS stories.

I have a gun on the way that was shipped Friday afternoon. OK, I know today is a holiday, but the tracking information says delivery WEDNESDAY!?! This is priority overnight shipping?

About a year ago I pulled up to the gate at our local outdoor shooting range. The guy that owns it is an FFL, but doesn't live on the property.

As I get out to unlock the gate I see a familiar looking box laying in the middle of the dirt driveway about 10 feet inside the gate. Sure enough, a nice package from Springfield Armory.

And my favorite. I ordered a car part from someone in Canada. Got the tracking info and watch as it sits in customs at Buffalo, stops in Nashville, then the distribution center in Mesquite, finally the nearest UPS center to me and a delivery for the next day. I waited 2 or 3 days and call UPS. "Oh let me check, I think those scans in Mesquite and Nashville may have been 'virtual scans'. " Yes , it appears the tracking system is nothing more than where UPS hopes the package is.

JT

I didn't send it, I received so I was not the one who would have bought insurance. The bizarre thing is the buyer contacted me before shipping and said UPS had warned him to let them pack it because they were the "professionals" so I sent extra money to cover the $75 for the shipping so they would pack it..... thinking that would give better results.

I don't know what amount (if any) of insurance was purchased by the sender, but it's an old computer, so it' market value is only about $200. I found another one for about $185, and I plan to prsent UPS with the bill I have paid to get that one and they had better pay..... :angry:

It's just infuriating to have UPS scalp me for their "professionsl" packing and get such a crappy job. They wrapped two layers of bubble wrap around it and then dumped it in a big box with loose packing peanuts. It obviously shifted toward one side and then took a nasty blow which shattered the case and mangled the chassis.

Standard with no insure per package is $100, Meaning there is already $100 on it and then it costs $1 per hundred. Unless you signed a slip that says it's okay to leave it on the stoop, they aren't supposed to do that. Mine does it with permission, but some do it so they don't have to retry.

Edited by JThompson

Another of my afflictions is in the area of rimfires. Being afflicted so, I frequently order some really off the wall ammo and have it delivered to the house. One particular order was for 5 bricks, 2500 rounds, of various stuff I've never been able to find anywhere else. What showed up was this box that looked like it had been kicked, thrown out, then run over. It was obviously retaped by UPS. And inside was only 1 brick all by itself in a grossly oversized box with no overpacking. The shipper was livid. Apparently he has had several problems with UPS as of late and this was just another one. Took 3 months to sort out the claim, get it paid, and get another shipment to me. UPS isn't on my Christmas card list.

I shipped a 300 dollor case with a glass door via UPS. On Christmas eve, someone put a set of forks off a lift truck through the box. UPS deemed it only worth 100 dollors and thats all they payed. A lot of phone calls and fighting got me nowhere but aggrivated !

I shoot a lot of rifles and, as a result, sometimes buy them on-line. Sometimes, the seller insists on using UPS and I have had two which were broken at the wrist. That occurs when my box is partially covered by another and the UPS gorilla reaches down, grabs the end of my box, lifts and "bends" the box, snapping the wrist of the rifle. UPS paid both times, but I would have preferred the intact rifle.

I try hard to get the seller to use USPS, but if I can't, I ask him/her to tape a piece of wood or PVC along the length of the gun. that keeps the "bend" from happening. I also insist on the seller insuring the item.

When I ship something, I do the same thing, but don't use UPS.

Then there's the thefts, the requirement for overnighting a handgun (because of THEIR inablility to control employee thefts) and the fact that they seem to just throw the boxes around.

I really don't like UPS.

Bob

JT

Standard with no insure per package is $100, Meaning there is already $100 on it and then it costs $1 per hundred. Unless you signed a slip that says it's okay to leave it on the stoop, they aren't supposed to do that. Mine does it with permission, but some do it so they don't have to retry.

I may have signed something to OK leaving deliveries on the porch. I have never had anything stolen. I actually instruct them to put "leave package on porch" in the delivery text so they will know to do that. They do it unless there is a signature required by sender.

My gripe here was that they destroyed the package.... the delivery was timely and efficient. :blink:

Then there's the thefts, the requirement for overnighting a handgun (because of THEIR inablility to control employee thefts)

That is amazing: their business model is:

Our employees are a bunch of thieves, so we will charge you 5X as much to get your package out of their hands faster.

I don't know how they can say it with out blushing....

UPDATE:

UPS picked up the package...a nd they inspected it. They declared that it was improperly packed, so they were not liable.

They further claim the UPS store that packed it is an "independent contractor" so UPS (the company) is not liable.

I called the guy there at the store where it was packed, and he is disputing this with UPS. he actually seems like a nice guy and told me this has happened many times. I told him that the box had damage on two corners, and no amount of packing material would likely have saved the computer.

So, the customer policy of UPS is:

1) Deny all responsibility, blame the sender (even if it is an authorized UPS outlet).

2) Put the customer in the middle of a pissing contest over who will accept blame between UPS and their outlet.

3) Send the clear message that they think saving $100 is more important than doing what's right.

After all this plays out, I will be contacting the Attorney General here in kali. They take a dim view of such fraudulent business practices.

About 10 years back, the local K-Mart store tried to screw my wife out of about $28 that they charged her to put an inner tube into a defective (brand new) tire with a rim leak she bought there which kept going flat and stranding her.

I ended up getting an apology letter from the head of K-Mart in northern California along with a full refund. That particular store closed not so long after that... maybe a coincidence?

Edited by bountyhunter

Gah, I hate to hear terrifying "delivery" stories that end badly. Makes my stomach all cringy and sick. Then I get mad.

Basically, I use U.S.P.S. or FedEx. Mostly the Postal Service. Things have been OK so far. I cross my fingers with every shipment, though. Mostly I just try and PACK things extremely well.

You think the price of lead and the price of gas* is bad...? The postal rates are going in the same direction: Flat rate to Anywhere, USA used to be $7.80. Then it went to $8.10. Today I unfortunately-after-the-fact found it it'd now gone up to $8.95...!!!!

*(Interestingly, the price of petrol DID go down from $3.70/gal here to about $3.52/gal today. I am not exactly rejoicing.... but... wasn't ready to see it reach $4.00/gal. All my corks would've popped at that point.