Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

K, L and N frames

BigDave

Revolver newbie has a question.  What are the differences between the S&W frame models?  Are there certain advantages to one over another? I know that the 610 is an N frame and I've heard that the 646 is an N frame.  What about the 625, or 25-2?

The only differences are size.  K & L are basically the same size (grip) while the N frame is bigger all around.  Any of the big (fat) cartridge revolvers are N frames.  The 25's and 625 are both N frames.

As far as advantages, some don't like the bigger grip that the N frame has and are better suited with the K/L frame. The other items are weight and caliber shoice. The N frame is bigger and heavier and while you can get an N frame in .357 you can't get the K/L in 10mm/44 MAG/.45 ACP/45 colt.  

Intel is right. Only size, and you have the square butts and the round butts. My smith prefers K and L frames, because (he says) they're smaller, so all moving parts and forces can be smaller/lighter, resulting in a nicer trigger. I believed him, until I saw that Jerry Miculek set all of his records with N frames . I doesn't matter that much. Maybe on a "feel" level, but I think you can become world champion with any frame if you're good enough. The guy who came in second at the World Shoot (behind Jerry) shot minor with a K or L frame. He had 84% of jerry Miculek. That is awesome. It doesn't matter that much.

(Edited by spook at 2:12 pm on Jan. 10, 2003)

The first Smith 357 was an N-frame (M27). The market then wanted a smaller lighter gun so the M19 and M66 were introduced in the K-frame. It was then dicovered that the smaller frame didn't handle the 357 over long periods. The L-frame was introduced with the K-frame grip but beefed up where it counts. The M686 is a fine revolver with a full underlug and an accurate barrel. However, I'd still opt for an N-frame over all other due to their weight and balance.

• 8 years later...

The first Smith 357 was an N-frame (M27). The market then wanted a smaller lighter gun so the M19 and M66 were introduced in the K-frame. It was then dicovered that the smaller frame didn't handle the 357 over long periods. The L-frame was introduced with the K-frame grip but beefed up where it counts. The M686 is a fine revolver with a full underlug and an accurate barrel. However, I'd still opt for an N-frame over all other due to their weight and balance.

This post is the whole story.

8 year old thread back from the dead.

Still a good read and needs updated with the X frame :cheers:

This post is the whole story.

I have a K frame 19 that was a PPC revolver,.. until I used alot of .357s in it ( 4 1/2 Lbs. shot really soft ) found out why the L fame is taller..6 o'clock support to the forcing cone area..which took care of splitting other than that I believe the K and N are the same..

split forcing cone 20 years ago,.. it is on the list to get fixed, someday , new barrel and probably a new rib ( long story )

John

you can't shoot 357 in a k frame.

Sure you can. The models 19, 65, 66, etc., were all K-frames and all .357. Yes, you actually can shoot .357 out of them, and there are plenty of used ones around. And, unlike the L-frame 686, I'm not aware of any K-frame competitors having their cylinder come off during a reload.

N-frames are fine guns, but a bit too big for folks with smaller hands.

Edited by M1911