Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tape on Glasses

Loves2Shoot

I called IDPA headquarters and asked them if it was legal to use tape on the shooting glasses and she said it is fine because there is no competitive advantage.

I asked that she please verify that and let me know what the bosses had to say. I talked to her today and said that it is fine to use semi-transpartent tape on your shooting glasses. Tape that is opaque might be a safety issue in their opinion.

My last thread asking about this got closed because people got mean and I didn't even get a chance to post a reply, so I started a new thread for interested folks.

Transparent is better, because there is sufficent light entering pupil so that it does not dialate.

Place it so that the bottom edge of the tape is just low enough to block the sights, and it will still be high enough to allow for full peripheral vision.

Kenny

I called IDPA headquarters and asked them if it was legal to use tape on the shooting glasses and she said it is fine because there is no competitive advantage.

I asked that she please verify that and let me know what the bosses had to say. I talked to her today and said that it is fine to use semi-transpartent tape on your shooting glasses. Tape that is opaque might be a safety issue in their opinion.

My last thread asking about this got closed because people got mean and I didn't even get a chance to post a reply, so I started a new thread for interested folks.

Thanks so much for doing the research on this. This of course makes complete sense. The hard part now is getting those SO's in the field to realize their mistake.

Angel

The only time I ever had to tape on my glasses was before shooting the helo stages at the ITRC. They get sort of pissed if the rotor wash blows your eye protection away.

I would recommend obtaining a signed email or letter with this ruling. I know of at least one USPSA gray area that was answered by the main authority in a letter.

That should assist you guys in the future should you run into a "This is how we do things in this club" ordeal.

The only time I ever had to tape on my glasses was before shooting the helo stages at the ITRC.

LOL, I have no eye dominance so the tape is on the front of the left lense. I was thinking about getting a letter. Thanks all.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

The only time I ever had to tape on my glasses was before shooting the helo stages at the ITRC.

LOL, I have no eye dominance so the tape is on the front of the left lense. I was thinking about getting a letter. Thanks all.

Once you get the letter, scan it into a .pdf document and post it for the folks to print it out and carry in the range bags for the SO's that get crazy on you. :D

Might be a good idea.

Back when "gamer knee pads" were the hot topic, I carried around a doctor's prescription for them.

Reminds me of when I shot IPSC with a 9mm Miller Major. A good gun, but I got tired of reading the rule book to ROs about the OAL.

I have a friend who got a letter from HQ regarding some cosmetic modifications to his slide. He shipped them the gun, they reviewed it and weighed it, then sent a letter saying it was ok back with the gun. He has had to pull it out on occasion, but not very often.

1. It is safest if both eyes are unobstructed and employed.

2. Eyelids are controlled by a voluntary muscle group. As a Match Director I trust and expect the shooter possess the good sense to open both of them.

Craig

On the lenses?? :rolleyes: So, we're talking about tape on the lenses to beat the eye dominance thing?

Well, I think my "Gorilla tape holding the glasses to my head" idea still has some merit. Here goes: 1st, wear darkly tinted shooting glasses. Like the kind I wear when I'm pillaging the local landfill for better furniture. 2nd, place the scotch tape on the inside of the chosen lens. (That way the nosey RO can't raise hell with you about the vision thing if he doesn't even know the tape is there. ) 3rd, then use enough Gorilla tape to hold the glasses to your head so they don't fall off and get your evil cheating trick discovered. You realize that this is all hypothetical and I'll deny everything if you get caught.

On the lenses?? :rolleyes: So, we're talking about tape on the lenses to beat the eye dominance thing?

Well, I think my "Gorilla tape holding the glasses to my head" idea still has some merit. Here goes: 1st, wear darkly tinted shooting glasses. Like the kind I wear when I'm pillaging the local landfill for better furniture. 2nd, place the scotch tape on the inside of the chosen lens. (That way the nosey RO can't raise hell with you about the vision thing if he doesn't even know the tape is there. ) 3rd, then use enough Gorilla tape to hold the glasses to your head so they don't fall off and get your evil cheating trick discovered. You realize that this is all hypothetical and I'll deny everything if you get caught.

LOL..... Too funny. :P

2. Eyelids are controlled by a voluntary muscle group. As a Match Director I trust and expect the shooter possess the good sense to open both of them.

Craig

I close them both. It makes me feel better about my shooting

Craig

Yeah, but does it improve your hits?

Craig

Yeah, but does it improve your hits?

I would have to open my eyes to find out :blink:

Craig

I respectfully disagree.

Some folks can't see their sights that way, me being one. I've shot with a small piece of black tape on my glasses for years with no problems, it mearly blocks the "second" front sight out. Now I will being using the approved clear tape, although it isn't as optimimum for the way I see.

Seeing 1 front sight is MUCH safer than seeing 2 front sights :D

I've spent hundreds on special glasses and months on end time trying to change the way I see the iron sights, but tape is the thing that works without having to close one eye.

If you can raise the gun in front of your eyes and see one sight picture, I count you as one of the fortunate majority, as I am not part of that group.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Admin note:

The "real life" post and replies have been removed.

If your post was in the mix...you sure wasted a lot of time typing. :devil:

BTW, if you are wondering about what content is cool, read my signature line. ;)

I used some tinting film from wal-mart for awhile. ( I got rid of all the vision blockers recently). It had good results. It blocks your vision enough to keep from seeing the double FS but it is not distracting and you can see though it somewhat so it doesnt throw off your depth perception as much as some of the other solutioins I tried.

It is just some tinted static adhesive film. I think I got the tip about it here. It can be taken on and off easily and it doesnt leave a residue on my glasses. Its about $5 a roll at wally world and the roll should last you and 10 of your friends a lifetime.

PM me if you want some to try out.

Just to add to Flex's last post. If you look on the cover of the book he is referancing BE has some tape on his glasses.

Edited by austinkroe

I have to disagree on this one even if IDPA HQ says it's OK. Tape on glasses is not suitible for everyday wear.

:surprise:

I agree. It is not suitable for everyday wear, but where in the IDPA rulebook does it say, or better yet define, anything about everyday wear?

Angel

I have to disagree on this one even if IDPA HQ says it's OK. Tape on glasses is not suitible for everyday wear.

:surprise:

Please folks, let's not go down this road. You can disagree all you want, my question was on the IDPA rules, not peoples opinions of the rules.

Flex,

Thanks for cleaning up the "real world" post . I got my IDPA magazine with my membership, and there was a good article about how IPDA is a game, and it is only a game, and it not the "real world."

I just wanted to know whether or not I needed to learn to change the technique that I use for shooting or not, becaue I messed up a few times the first couple matches because I was't using my normal glasses and it was frustrating.

I am not interested in trying to bend the rules. If puttting something on the lenses is against the rules I won't put anything on them, period. If it ok, I will.

I have no doubts that I can hit targets without the tape if it came down to it, but I'm trying to avoid the .5 second penalty for non A hits is what I'm trying to do. I have a visual handicap, and I'm going to use my tape to overcome it.