Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Charge lines video

chuckw

Read the comentary from the Geeks blog for the whole story.

Stage was set up with rectangular shooting box, but because the club had too few 2x4's, the back of the box was left open. The rear fault line was deemed to extend to infinity per rule 2.2.1.2

Video shows this to be incorrect interpretation of the rule. Rear line was actually a charge line per rule 2.2.1.1 and thus had to be physically there.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where the Dundee Gun Club in the video is located?

Thanks.

Bill

www.teamcroc.com

Home of the Crazy Croc---400+ rds, 8 stages.

Read the comentary from the Geeks blog for the whole story.

Stage was set up with rectangular shooting box, but because the club had too few 2x4's, the back of the box was left open. The rear fault line was deemed to extend to infinity per rule 2.2.1.2

Video shows this to be incorrect interpretation of the rule. Rear line was actually a charge line per rule 2.2.1.1 and thus had to be physically there.

I'm the designer of the stage. No shortage of 2x4's, just poor stage design. I set the

stage up, and didn't catch the sweet spot that was there if the shooter stepped backwards.

Had end lines and short lateral lines, but just didn't connect the dots. Live and learn!

I set one up very similar in the same bay in April, but nailed down all four sides of

the box. ( I HATE nailing down fault/charge lines--kills my elbows).

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
... ( I HATE nailing down fault/charge lines--kills my elbows).

Bill

I bring an 8 pound sledge hammer for thick nails and angle irons. It's light enough not to be unweildy but heavy enough that it does not have to be swung hard and it does not bounce back.

Some match directors or stage designers in this area tend to solicite upper shooters to come early and look for those sweet spots etc. I know some say: what would I do if I was......?

I always look to minimize the number of shooting positions in a stage to save time or shoot some on the move as well.

And then there are ways of engaging targets while moving so you don't have to slow down and can keep moving toward the end.

Some match directors or stage designers in this area tend to solicite upper shooters to come early and look for those sweet spots etc...

Big +1. I'm always looking to learn something new about designing challenging (but fair) stages, and the "higher classification shooters" that have been shooting/setting up stages for a while usually have an ability to quickly analyze/improve/game-proof a stage of mine in very short order.

I love it when a GM or two show up early at a match I'm setting up.

"Uhhh, did you mean to allow everyone to shoot all the targets from this one spot?", or

"Did you know there are 3 potential shoot-thrus on stage 1?", or

"You know, if we moved this target two feet this way, you'd add more options for the shooters", or

"A couple of the shots on stage 2 are going to be very difficult/frustrating for the new guys, might want to drop either the no-shoot or the hardcover"

It's been invaluable stage design training for me.

I'm pretty good at spotting such things, but I try to bring them to the match staff's attention-- after all we're not likely to see something like that at a big match, so why try and game a local one?

• 3 weeks later...