Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Mags

bkeeler

I am going to buy a new SVI in .40 cal.

I have been told that SVI doesnt make 10 rd mags

What mags do i need to get for this new gun?

Going to shoot Limited and ESP in IDPA

Thanks

bk

STI makes 10 rounders.  You'll be pleased to know that they cost nearly as much as hi-caps.  Think about buying 126mm pre-bans and writing the number "10" on the side and hope nobody notices. :)

E

Build mags that hold only 9 rounds. You'll have a near-ideal IDPA Enhanced setup that will put you at slide lock when others will have to do retention reloads. Maybe check in the IDPA Rules forum on this though. :)

Actually there's nothing in the IDPA Rule Book that says you have to run your gun with a magazine that has the max capacity allowable in your division. If that were the case you couldn't run a 1911 .45 with 7-round mags since 8-round mags are the max in CDP. What you CAN'T do is switch your magazines once the match starts. For instance, I can't start the match with 8-rounders, but if I see a stage where the 7s would be an advantage, switch to them. I have to pick one and stick with it for the entire match.

DT,

In IDPA...

Since many of the target arrays are six rounds...can a guy run with a seven round mag, shoot six, then do a speed reload (no slide-lock, drop the empty on the ground)?

(Edited by Flexmoney at 1:15 am on June 18, 2002)

BK,

I remember having a conversation with someone who had both STI and SVI mags and they said that the SVI mags were a little better from the factory than the STI ones were.

I have had my STI ones tuned by Beven @ Grams Eng. BIG IMPROVEMNET

http://www.gramseng.com

not cheap but well worth the peace of mind

• 6 months later...

Hey bkeeler, I know this thread is a little old but I'd be interested to know hoe you made out...this is a big issue for myself and my fellow Canadian SVI owners.  As far as I'm concerned, the SVI 10 rounder does not exist.  You either have to make them up from parts or by STI.  

A word of caution on the STI...they only hold 9.  The guys' I bought them from (Smoking Gun in BC) change the followers to the plus 1 so 10 will fit.  If you load nine, you can't seat the mag, once to jam in the 10th round (with a speed loader) you can put in an 11th no problem...so much for a true 10 rounder!

Cheers

Quigley

Quigley.....up and over....or is that over and under?

All kidding aside....I just acquired four STI 126mm ten round magazines from Brownells with the new STI followers and concur with your observation about the difficulty of getting the tenth round in.

Yet having said that ....will also state that it can be done with the speed loader you mention in your post or a good amount of thumb pressure as I do.

The difficulty in getting the tenth round in is getting the follower past the indentations in the magazine that are put there to limit it to ten.

Once done....you have the necessary play or slack needed to seat the magazine.

I have also noticed with this magazine (STI 10rd. 126mm) and new STI follower combination along with the SVI mag catch in my SVI limited pistol the slide locks back ocassionally where as before with my SVI magazines it never did lock back.

I think it is the SVI magazine catch that is the cause of my slide locking back with these new STI magazines on ocassion.

The remedy might be in having a STI magazine catch installed because it is noted elsewhere here that SVI magazine catches are known to lock the magazine higher up in the pistol?

I guess a cheaper alternative would be to remove a bit of material from the follower to insure and assure it does not lock back anymore?

Learning the hard way is a requirement of choice.