Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for moly/polymer coated 40 Major

billdncn

With the cost of jacketed having jumped up I've ordered Masterbalaster's to try in 40, and 9.

I've been using Titegroup with good results for jacketed, but I understand it smokes a lot with coated bullets.

I have some 231 I'm going to try.

What's your favorite powder for the "Black Bullets" in 40 major, and why?

Thanks, Bill

I've been using WST for Masterblasters (4.3gr with 180gr bullets for major). It seems to be as economical as anything with hardly any smoke. One other benefit is that there is almost no muzzle flash in case you shoot in a dark house or something. I've also been using up some Clays (2.7gr) for minor loads. That is almost like not shooting a real gun.

Try different powders (even fast ones), you might be surprised.

The most accurate load for my glock 34 is bullseye over a 150 gr. MB bullet. The smoke is the same as FMJ and just as clean in the barrel.

It greatly surprised me (and my friend) for whom I was testing this load. He had some bullseye and MB pills he wanted to see if it worked in a glock.

It worked so well, he ended up buying a g34 and I switched to this load. More accurate, and less expensive. It was a slam dunk.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'll try TG, and 231.

I guess the reason I'm concerned about excessive smoke is last year in the Va. State I shot a stage with the sun just above the targets, and had to wait for the smoke to clear a little for my follow up shots. It was bad. This was with a Zero jacketed TC with an expossed lead base though.

Don't want that again :wacko:

I primarily shoot Precision 185s with either TG or VVn320. Neither offers any *significant* problem with smoke, even indoors, except when I shoot the GA State match. It starts very early in the morning, with the sun just over the targets like you described, and never seems to have even a breath of air moving when I shoot my first 1-2 stages (a conspiracy with the MD's I'm bettin' :) ).

Just for that match I load some Zero JHP's and don't have to wave away the smoke clouds between shots.

Other than that, I've had no problems with the moly's.

Precisions 170s and TG feels VERY nice but seems pretty smokey to me.

I use this as a practice load. It does feel pretty good. For me the smoke isn't too bad, but that may be due to:

1 - I shoot in a low humidity, slightly breezy area with the down range berms oriented more North/South than East/West.

2 - I load the 170's fairly short, and I hear that most powders burn hotter and cleaner at higher pressures.

I use VV320 and MB 200gr for my STI and I like it alot but I load them long and they wont work in your glocks. The other problem with VV is the only shop in this area that sells the stuff is Green Top and its $28/lbs. A couple of guys with suppressors at Dominion want to order some in bulk so I'll let you know and if you want some to try out I'll hook you up.

I use VV320 and MB 200gr for my STI and I like it alot but I load them long and they wont work in your glocks. The other problem with VV is the only shop in this area that sells the stuff is Green Top and its $28/lbs. A couple of guys with suppressors at Dominion want to order some in bulk so I'll let you know and if you want some to try out I'll hook you up.

Thanks buddy. I didn't know you shot the good high $ stuff :wacko: No wonder you're beating me :P

Hey I've gotta use some excuse!

Shootin Sat.?

Precisions 170s and TG feels VERY nice but seems pretty smokey to me.

I use this as a practice load. It does feel pretty good. For me the smoke isn't too bad, but that may be due to:

1 - I shoot in a low humidity, slightly breezy area with the down range berms oriented more North/South than East/West.

2 - I load the 170's fairly short, and I hear that most powders burn hotter and cleaner at higher pressures.

This was just my experience with a test batch which was shot on a very calm day. Typically I run Berry's so between those two there is a drastic difference in smoke. As for the length they were loaded 1.120, so not long. A shooting buddy of mine uses precisions with W231 and it's not bad at all.

I will say I've seen MUCH worse at club matches with guys shooting straight lead. On a calm day those guys can make a bay look like something out of a Cheech and Chong film. :o

I used to shoot N310 under MB 180s at 1.200" and loved it. I'm sure I posted the details in this very forum years ago, which you could find with a search. Failing that, start at 3.5gr and work up as needed.

Bill - I use 4.4 grains of Bullseye under a 185 Precision loaded to 1.13", and it goes about 880 fps from my 4" Steyr. That's a 164 PF - if you have a longer barrel, it'd probably be about right. A little smoky, but when you live in a place where 80% humidity is considered "dry", everything smokes.

Thanks to all.

I just got back from the range, and 4.6 grs. of 231 under the 180gr. Masterblaster's did very well. Very accurate, and softer then my current load (4.7grs. TG, 180gr. Zero JHP)

It was a little smoky. Only time will tell how I come to terms with it. One thing I liked about it was the recoil was very vertical. Real easy to track the front sight.