Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Newbie. Does Anyone Load To Carry?

I just ordered a Colt XSE Lgtwt Commander in .38 Super. I have heard a ton of good things about this XSE/.38 Super combo as a great marriage for size weight and controlability. I have never loaded for the Super. I shoot USPSA Production but know that the .38 Super is monsterously popular for the open guys and gals. I am going to carry it as CCW. I am pretty sure the CorBon ammo will suit my needs. Any suggestions on a good recipe for matching the performance of the Corbon 115gr/1425fps, and the 125gr/1350fps loads? Thanks

Using reloads for carry is also not a good idea. Even if you're totally justified in a self defense shooting, you'll be portrayed as "Some Wacko who maufactures his own ammo". It might be enough to turn a jury against you.

Swede

Aluminum frames are for carry and not to be shot a lot. My second IPSC gun had an aluminuum frame (first was a Colt Python in the 80's). I shot it so much the holes in the frame went out of allignment. Had to retire it and replace with a carbon steel one.

Also, +1 on swede's advise about the ammo. Stick to factory ammo only for carry.

Ken

I work as a police officer and was told that in all my carry guns, whether for duty or not, to never use reloaded ammo, but only factory ammo. This is not for reliability purposes, but for legal purposes. If you don't want to be labeled as wanting to shoot someone, use factory ammo.

Redwoods

I work as a police officer and was told that in all my carry guns, whether for duty or not, to never use reloaded ammo, but only factory ammo. This is not for reliability purposes, but for legal purposes. If you don't want to be labeled as wanting to shoot someone, use factory ammo.

Redwoods

Yep, and even if the "Rambo complex" doesn't become an issue, it's possible that gunshot residue issues will. The only way GSR can save you, i.e. they were only 5ft away, is when the ammo you used matches factory ammo that can be tested independantly. They'll never allow a handload as a comparison (even from the same magazine) to test against the evidence collected.

I just ordered a Colt XSE Lgtwt Commander in .38 Super. I have heard a ton of good things about this XSE/.38 Super combo as a great marriage for size weight and controlability. I have never loaded for the Super. I shoot USPSA Production but know that the .38 Super is monsterously popular for the open guys and gals. I am going to carry it as CCW. I am pretty sure the CorBon ammo will suit my needs. Any suggestions on a good recipe for matching the performance of the Corbon 115gr/1425fps, and the 125gr/1350fps loads? Thanks

I take it you are just looking for some practice ammo...that you can load on the cheap...to gain and maintain skills with your chosen platform ?

If it were me with that setup, I'd probably load light for the majority of my practice. Then, I'd finish each practice session off with a load that approximates my factory carry load (I'd do a few bill drills to get the timing down and then a mag or two of group shooting at distance). Start lower than anything listed and work up from there. We are at pretty high pressures here. How much case support does that Colt have ?

Both of those factory loads that you listed are close to the Major loads that our shooters use for USPSA Open guns. You ought to be able to find some load data in the 9mm/super reloading section that will get you in the ball-park to develop your own loads.

Thanks Clyde. Flexmoney, you were right on the money(pardon the pun). I was basically looking for a little info for practice fodder reloads. I would NEVER, NEVER, EVER trust a reload in a firefight. I don't belive I ever mentioned that. I spoke of the CorBon Ammo for carry purposes specifaclly hoping to avoid the reload for carry replies. I'm glad you looked into what I actually wrote. Lesson learned. Thanks.

I tried carrying my .38super concealed one time but everyone said they could still see the print of the Bedell shorty open gun. Guess I will have to get a small of the back holster for it. :)

if you use CORBON ammo for carry, make sure to try a few rounds through your gun and check for signs of excess pressure in the primer. If primer flow is excessive it can plug the firing pin hole in your slide and render the gun inoperative. that would be a bad thing if you're using it for self defense.

for more information on this topic and some pictures of what to look for check out this site :

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Factory2.html

good luck