Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Maintenance Finish?

JDBraddy

Hey guys, I was just curious what's the most durable, lowest maintenance finish if you where to order a new gun, that you plan to shoot a lot? plain Stainless? Hardchrome'd stainless? If you where to chrome parts, what parts should/shouldn't be chromed?

At this point... I'm thinking IonBond is the way to go... coat everything that can be coated.... But... I say that having no long term personal experience w/ the finish. I'm planning on going there, though...

Get a gun made of regular steel (in the white, blued, whatever). Shoot it for a season. See if you want to make any changes. THEN...think about sending it off to get chromed.

+1 on that. You don't want to go and spend the money to have a gun finished and then need work on it that will ruin your new finish.

Get a gun made of regular steel (in the white, blued, whatever). Shoot it for a season. See if you want to make any changes. THEN...think about sending it off to get chromed.

+1 on that. You don't want to go and spend the money to have a gun finished and then need work on it that will ruin your new finish.

+2 I did not do that with my first limited gun and now I want a ton of changes and really can't do it. Deal with a blued gun for a whole year not just a match or two and then decide on the finish. You will be amazed at what you actually like or don't like after shooting a gun alot for a year.

I had a great experience which became a terrible one with coatings.

I recommend hard chrome for an Open gun. You can almost wipe it clean. My last hard chromed gun had 100K+ rds and was very tight and accurate.

I may consider getting stainless steal initially for the suggested break in period whether you decide to get it hard chromed or IonBonded. Something about that natural resistance to corrosion in combination with the ultra hard surface coating seems appealing.

Thanks Guys, always good to hear the voice of experience. Sounds like hard chrome is the tried and true way to go, but only after I'm sure I have everything the way I want it! I really appreciate the advice. It's so nice to have a place, where you can learn from "other people's mistakes" before going out, and making them yourself.

Edited by JDBraddy

Right now I am shooting a blued STI in Open but have been thinking about going for an IonBond finish. One thing I am wondering about it is if this finish will make it easier to clean my comp out after several matches. Right now all I have is some heavy carbon fouling.

Joe W.