Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell Poll For Single Stack Uspsa

I think I'm going to start a POLL:

ummmmm.........I'll call it.........um............

SCREW THE SPIRIT!

Yes

No

Just give me the F'in Rules

B)

+1

Spirit is what a Cheerleader has, rules make our competition what it is!!!!

Alan

I voted for the S&A. Why? Because I have one on my duty gun, carried it daily for almost 25 years. I like the looks and function of the S&A. It was the only viable option in my opinion way back when. I don't like the tech wear magwell its ugly but again that is my opinion, I do think it looks gamey but you may think my gun is gamey, with its Bomar sights, magwell and FLGR. I do use the same gun(s) for duty and to shoot USPSA and IDPA events. I have really enjoyed putting the widebodies aside and shooting the skinny gun for the last 2 years. It feels right and seems to put bullets right whee I want them to go with little effort. Aside from stage 5 at Space City Challenge (3 misses and 2 no-shoots ughhh!!!) I find I shoot with far fewer penalties when shooting the SS.

HOWEVER. My "intent" is to see if most people here believe we should redo the USPSA box (borrowed from IDPA) and make it MORE restrictive than the IDPA box to prevent the gun from being user friendly or using any magwell wider than "whatever" and violating the blah blah blah etc. etc. etc. ;)

Merlin you need to check some history.

The 1911 Single Stack Society was founded in 1994 (IDPA came along later). They have used a box rule from the very begining. Click here http://www.1911society.org/rules.htm for the rules.

USPSA is not "borrowing" the box. The gun has always had to fit the 1911 Society box. Well the IPSC box for a while, but thats fixed. The 1911 Society have said no light rails or bull barrels, other than those exceptions you are free to bolt, weld or glue the mag well of your chose to the gun. If you can get it in the box great, if not it's open division for you.

I like that Gary has made this PSSD possible. A big thank you Mr Overlay.

Now back to the horse. :huh:

USPSA is not "borrowing" the box. The gun has always had to fit the 1911 Society box. Well the IPSC box for a while, but thats fixed. The 1911 Society have said no light rails or bull barrels, other than those exceptions you are free to bolt, weld or glue the mag well of your chose to the gun. If you can get it in the box great, if not it's open division for you.

I like that Gary has made this PSSD possible. A big thank you Mr Overlay.

Now back to the horse. :huh:

But how long have people been using "oversized" magwells in CDP and 1911 Society? That's not a rhetorical question -- I'm genuinely curious, and don't know. I've shot at least a couple largish IDPA matches in the last two years, and don't ever recall seeing anyting like SVI's magwell....

What I'm trying to get at:

1) Have magwells larger than the S&A style always been around, and the box dimensions, and the intent of those deciding the box dimensions, took these magwells into account?

or

2) With the joining of USPSA and Single Stack Classic, and the new provisional SSD....equipment is being modified in unforseen ways?

I agree -- shooters only need worry about rules, and not "intent", or "spirit."

But it's somewhat disingenuous to support the creation and spirit of a single-stack division, insist on weight limits, ban bull-barrels, ban DOH holsters, dictate magazine and holster placement, but support the box size as being perfect since genesis.

I've shot at least a couple largish IDPA matches in the last two years, and don't ever recall seeing anyting like SVI's magwell....

Slapped one on back in late 01, early 02 right when SVI came out with them (door prize at one of the USPSA matches and I wound up with 2), I did have to config the mainspring housing to work but no biggy.

The MAIN reasons you don't see them is in IDPA are:

1. Many don't even KNOW they exist *S&A, Wilson, EB are better known)

2. Expense for the entire set-up (well & mainspring housing well over $ 120.00)

3: Mall Ninja/Spirit Syndrome

I run them they box well, using a modiifed (trimmed) basepad and they are fast.

I'm not sure what to call it..irony, maybe?

That big SV magwell has been around quite a while. Anybody could have slapped it onto a 1911 and went to town in Limited-10. But, most ignored it or didn't know it was around.

Now...with the Provisional Single Stack division...the bigger magwells are getting some attention.

Any rules we have now are provisional. So, don't go getting bent out of shape if you dry-humped your credit card to get the latest and greatest equipment advantage...and it gets outlawed.

Merlin if the Gary you were referring to was me, I haven't made a post until now.

It came as no surprise to me that our members would take any rule to the outerlilmits. That was one reason for the box to begin with.

These sized mag wells have been legal in the SSC and IDPA for an extended period of time and as Flex has noted they have been legal on single stacks shooting in other USPSA Divisions forever.

We have a good working set of rules ready to be presented for final approval. I don't see any great issue with this mag well. We have a box. If it fits in it and it makes weight, it will most likely be OK.

Gary

However I am sure that the Carmoney well, may interest SOME folks :lol:

I would like to mention that I have decided to call my magwell the "Carmoney Carry-Slim Stealth-Well."

We expect to receive the first production run back from cryo-treatment very shortly.

Whacha talking about? Did I miss a picture?

I would like to mention that I have decided to call my magwell the "Carmoney Carry-Slim Stealth-Well."

We expect to receive the first production run back from cryo-treatment very shortly.