Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning A Barrel After Shooting Moly-coated Bullets?

I'm shooting the moly-coated bullets from Precision Bullets. After using Hoppes and scrubbing with a copper brush, I still see some kind of a "film" in the grooves. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this? Should I even be concerned? ....I usually like my barrel to shine like mirror.

Thanks,

Darren

Should I even be concerned? ....I usually like my barrel to shine like mirror.

Thanks,

Darren

We all did, I think it's a sign of a newbie.... :lol:

Most bore wear is cased by cleaning. IMHO, clean the bore lightly when you do clean it. I can always see a bit of crud in the corners of the grooves after cleaning. It can be removed by aggressive cleaning, but I have yet to see any evidence that it hurts anything to leave it there.

YMMV

After using Hoppes and scrubbing with a copper brush

I stopped using metal brushes a long time ago. I use nylon with hoppe's, and if I really want the bore to sparkle (like I am storing it for a while) I put some chrome polish on the nylon brush and scrub.

I realize steel is harder than copper, but rocks are harder than water.... but water cut the Grand canyon out of rock.

I just don't use metal anymore.

Edited by bountyhunter

I learned this from some friends who shoot molys in theie rifles. They use Kroils to remove the moly from the barrels. I have never tried moly bullets so I can't personally say how it works, but I do trust their opinions.

Adam

....definitely not a newbie. I've been shooting for over 20 years. I'm just your typical engineer with "obsessive compulsive disorder". :)

We all did, I think it's a sign of a newbie.... :lol:

Most bore wear is cased by cleaning. IMHO, clean the bore lightly when you do clean it. I can always see a bit of crud in the corners of the grooves after cleaning. It can be removed by aggressive cleaning, but I have yet to see any evidence that it hurts anything to leave it there.

YMMV

I'm using Moly bullets now and from my conclusion after reading schumann's barrel cleaning tips, I do not use any thing inside the barrel

and it doesnt seem to hurt the accuracy. Comp is the only one that i clean with dremel every 1,000rds. I had cleaned my old barrrel with copper brush and nylon. accuracy was so bad that i had to replace the barrel. since then i do not clean the barrels on my hand guns.

Dave Long of Precison Bullets recomended this formula to me one day:

1/2 White Vinegar

1/2 Hydrogen Peroxide

Put it in a jar deep enough to cover the barrel. Submerge barrel @ 10 minutes or so (don't forget it!), then remove and run some patches through it (only patches, no brushes or severe scrubbing), should wipe most of the gunk out right away. You can reuse the jar of mixture til its black or no longer "fizzes". Only use this on stainless barrels (or you can damage the blueing or finish). YRMV, use at own risk ;)

This has worked like a charm for my barrels the last couple years.

Edited by sfinney

....definitely not a newbie. I've been shooting for over 20 years. I'm just your typical engineer with "obsessive compulsive disorder". :)

We're twins separated at birth.... I'm an engineer as well, and I think all engineers have OCD.

It goes against my DNA to NOT scrub barrels clean, but I think doing that every time is overdoing it.

I used to.....

I second the attaboy for Kroil, but be careful. If you use a "dunk tank" of the stuff, water and scum can accumulate at the bottom and stain a barrel.

I refuse to admit how I learned that....

Take an old bore brush and wrap a piece of copper kitchen pot&pan scrubber around it.

It cleans the leading/gunk out of a pistol barrel in short order.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/der...oreBrush001.jpg

I've had great results with this using lead or master-blaster moly bullets.

Works great for cleaning the carbon rings out of revolver cylinders when you attach it to your drill. ;)

Edited by bountyhunter

Hello: I used to try to keep the barrel very clean on my Kimber. Then one day I decided I hated doing all the work. I just ran a brush through to knock off the loose stuff and used it the way it was. The accuracy was the same. I then built a STI 2011 using a Schuemann barrel and there is no buildup at all. I just use a nylon brush to clean out the dust. The Precision bullet coating seems to stick to barrels that don't have a smooth bore. It does not effect accuracy so don't worry about the coating buildup since it is not lead. As they say just shoot that thing. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I guess it's time for me to drag out my tired, old song about a couple of guns I have.

One is a Les Baer .45 PII with over 25,000 rounds through it, the vast majority of which were Precisions (~21,000). I have NEVER cleaned the bore in any way. No patches, brushes or snakes have been through there. I just shoot it. It looks like it has some soot in the barrel. Not thick or obtrusive. And it still shoots as good as the day I got it.

With my Limited guns, I've fired ~12,000 rounds of the 185 gn. Precisions, again with no cleaning of the bores at all. No problems so far, and I sure have saved a lot of wasted effort by not scrubbing them. :)

YMMV.

Ok, you guys have convinced me that leaving the film is OK. However, not cleaning your barrel at all is something I can not do. I've read (somewhere), that the stuff in gunpowder is corrosive and will eat at the metal over time. ...just imagining this makes me want to go clean something. :)

DM