Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Democratic Debate

davidball

Did anyone see the first presidential debate of the 2008 election season last night? Besides the expected bashing of the current administration, the highlight was the performance of former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel. What a hoot! I teach high school government (including AP) and I am a political junkie, but I had never heard of this guy. He's like the Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale (Perot's '92 VP running mate) of the 2008 race! I did not think it was possible, but he actually made Kucinich look mainstream! I'm thinking about sending his campaign a check just to keep him in the race for entertainment purposes.

"How can you stay nonpolitical?

You either agree with them..or you don't."

Actually, it's very easy - once you finally realize that politics is a sideshow that entertains and deludes the masses into believing that what they think matters.

This is a democracy, it is structured to maintain the power of the ruleing elite, yet lets the "people" feel like they can make a difference.

It actually makes for a great show. tt's a comedy or farce. But people sure do believe...

(double posted - had to remove)

Edited by Viggen

Would bet a beer but not a single malt Scotch on this info.

I understand Gavel worked for the NY Times at the time Daniel Ellsberg's release of the Pentagon Papers. The government would only give out redacted/censored copies of the papers even after they had been out in the public realm. Thus people (especially scholars) referred to the first complete set of the papers as the Gravel issue or release or something like that.

The thing I find most interesting about his presence at the debate is that he is unknown, yet polls as high as several others who were there and who get a lot more coverage. I don't know anything about his tenure as Senator and didn't watch or listen to the "debate".

How can you stay nonpolitical?

I am not nonpolitical. Just trying to keep this thread nonpolitical as per forum policy. Merely wanted to discuss the former senator from an entertainment point of view.

You either agree with them..or you don't.

Your either concerned with what's happening, or your not concerned. :blink:

I am very concerned with "what's happening." Why else would I watch a Democratic debate, consisting primarily of people I loathe, NINETEEN MONTHS before a presidential election. :)

lol.. nice try.. I predict this thread has a short lifespan.

Yeah, and I am probably gonna be the one to screw it up.

While I'm here, I also liked this part:

"Five of the eight — Gravel, Biden, Dodd, Kucinich and Richardson — raised their hands when moderator Brian Williams of NBC News asked whether they had ever had a gun in their home."

The three that did not raise their hands were Obama, Clinton, and Edwards - the Democratic front runners (ironically).

Edited by davidball

This is a democracy, it is structured to maintain the power of the ruleing elite, yet lets the "people" feel like they can make a difference.

Actually this is not a Democracy. It is a Representative Republic. A Democracy is Mob Rule. ;)

Actually this is not a Democracy. It is a Representative Republic. A Democracy is Mob Rule. ;)

Never mind, I'm trying to stay non-political today. Sorry I brought it up - can we agree that it's an Empire?

Edited by Viggen

Arthur: I am your king!

Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.

Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Woman: Well, how did you become King, then?

Arthur: The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!

Dennis: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

"How can you stay nonpolitical?

You either agree with them..or you don't."

Actually, it's very easy - once you finally realize that politics is a sideshow that entertains and deludes the masses into believing that what they think matters.

"yet lets the "people" feel like they can make a difference."

The people made a big difference at the last election. It changed the course of a war and the course of history.

Emporer George had almost forgotten that in this country, the elctorate can (and sometimes do) rise up and slap the scumbags down.

Arthur: I am your king!

Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.

Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Woman: Well, how did you become King, then?

Arthur: The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!

Dennis: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

I loved that one!

:lol::lol::lol:

Where is it from BigD?

That's word for word from

Monty Python and the Holy grail.

BigD.. you must have the script? That's one hard to find book..

Mods - I apologize in advance . . . my thread about an entertaining candidate in a political debate has gone awry. :o:(

lol...

Bender.. Thanks!

(still looking for the book though)

Is this your card?

Screw google.. I'm just calling you from now on..

It's not the real one though.. that one was done in 2002.. A resurgence in popularity?

They're on eBay from time to time...

(also I'm way guilty of thread stealing - but it's more likely to survive :) )

Edited by BerKim