Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patriot's Day

SinistralRifleman

232 Years ago, a bunch of civilians fought back against the troops of the legitimate government that were coming to seize their arms. They were willing to fight and die as free men, rather than to be disarmed.

April 19th, 1775 is when the American Revolution began.

Minute_Man.JPG

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,

Their flag to April's breeze unfurled;

Here once the embattled farmers stood;

And fired the shot heard round the world.

The foe long since in silence slept;

Alike the conqueror silent sleeps,

And Time the ruined bridge has swept

Down the dark stream that seaward creeps.

On this green bank, by this soft stream,

We place with joy a votive stone,

That memory may their deeds redeem,

When, like our sires, our sons are gone.

O Thou who made those heroes dare

To die, and leave their children free, --

Bid Time and Nature gently spare

The shaft we raised to them and Thee.

232 Years ago, a bunch of civilians fought back against the troops of the legitimate government that were coming to seize their arms. They were willing to fight and die as free men, rather than to be disarmed.

My hope and prayer is that it never has to be repeated, but my heart tells me that someday, far into the future I hope, history may repeat itself.

As gun owners and shooters we quite often express our concerns over our 2nd Amendment rights. This is as it should be.

But we need to be very careful....There are many more freedoms that need protection as well. The issues of our day are well known to us and being political in nature, I won't list them here, but be an informed citizen. Become involved.

The government is to be the people's servant, not the other way around.

SinistralRifleman, thanks for the reminder

JMHO, FWIW

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Amen, brutha.

Today I pay my respects to all who have worn the uniform and served this great country.

And to all those who have served in other ways as well.

Oath of Office – Military Personnel

I swore this oath 30 years ago...I hold it still in my heart and soul.

I, (First Name, Middle Name, Last Name) (Social Security Number) having been appointed an officer in the military of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of ____________________ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; SO HELP ME GOD.

(Signature, full name as shown above)

Jim :)

Anytime I end up "trying to teach that pig........ again" (explain the evils of gun control to a Lib) I ask about Lexington and Concord, that shot heard 'round the world and what it was about.

They don't know.

I remind them the occupying forces were moving to seize civilian stores of arms and ammunition.

I went to Wikipedia and read the first few references to the Revolutionary War...... I had forgotten. Damn, what courage it must have taken to face the "established government." - Not to sit around and talk smack, piss and moan but To DIE for your principals......

What's even more noble about the Revolution is the social and economic status of many of our leaders that started the fight.

Some of them had it all. How many people today living in mansions on huge estates, with tons of money, would stick out their neck and risk everything.

I can't remember each story by name now, but I once read what happened to many of them. Some terrible things happened to many of them and their families. Maybe someone can find the stories and post them here.

In the end, their courage and vision won our independence. I wish all fellow Americans today knew what they sacrificed.

Edited by JD45