Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing A Ball Detent In Slide For A Racker

speed

Anybody know procedure to install a spring loaded ball detent in dovetail to hold in a slide racker. Are they pressed in or threaded? Tired of dealing with the setscrew that keeps comming loose.

You could go either way.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and do a search for "Spring Plungers" you should come up with some ball-nose and round-nose spring plungers. Both come in threaded or push to fit configurations. You might be able to find a size which just replaces your set screw.

Basically you drill a hole about the length of the spring, then put the spring and ball in the hole, push them down below the surface, and stake the surface around the hole to retain them in the hole. The ball will raise up where a portion of it is above the surface and engage a detent in the racker.

You need springs, balls, proper drills and the setting tool to install one.

<_< Benny Hill just did one on my New / first IPSC gun last week. :wub: =the gun works 100% in the past 400 rounds and the guns first match today.

Any way Benny said he had to cut the spring down and "{ping it in) to make it fit.

The Slider racker is nice = with it like this I can make the choice not to use it.

Call Benny at Triangel

• 8 months later...

reviving the thread here.

does the spring plunger go into the racker itself or into the slide? i can't find a short enough spring plunger with a 8-32 thread pitch to replace the set screw in my racker. looking at the mcmaster-carr catalog does part number 3408a101 have a large enough bearing to keep the racker in place and is the spring pressure adequate?

TIA

Edited by yoshidaex

reviving the thread here.

does the spring plunger go into the racker itself or into the slide? i can't find a short enough spring plunger with a 8-32 thread pitch to replace the set screw in my racker. looking at the mcmaster-carr catalog does part number 3408a101 have a large enough bearing to keep the racker in place and is the spring pressure adequate?

TIA

When Benny did the one for me He said that he had to cut off part of the spring to make it fit in the racker. I don't think having it on the frame would be near as good and it would get dirty when the racker was not in place.

Hiro, you can drill and tap the slide, put the plunger in the slide, loc-tite it in place with a set screw behind it to make sure it NEVER backs out on its own. Just drill through and tap through so you can set the height of the ball and put the lock screw in behind.

Doing it like Benny did is a good bit harder, but it is also a good bit cleaner. You will need to shorten the plunger and the spring the proper amount, screw them in the racker and put the detent in the slide. Or, send your racker and slide to Benny and have him do it. He is very quick to turn things around and very reasonably priced.

Maybe you could just buy Jamies slide racker. His pistol was built in the spring of 2007 and he shot it in the white until nov. or so, at that time he brought it back to Benny for a few changes before it went to Tripp for hard chrome, the slide was lightened some and part of that was to extend the swoop cut at the rear of the slide to remove the dove tail for the racker. After shooting the gun a bunch Jamie came around to Bennys idea on slide rackers, if the gunsmith who builds the gun does his job, and the guy loading the ammo for the gun does his job you dont need any funky slide rackers.-------------Larry

Larry,

Its those "start with gun unloaded on table" stages that irritate me the most. <_<

I tapped the windage screw hole on the left side of my C more with a 10/32 tap(very few threads), used a 10/32 screw about 1 inch and a half long, cut the head off and prettied it up some, screwed into the scope and made a kick stand out of it. Works just as well as a racker off the table and if you drag it on the table or on a barricade it doesnt knock the gun out of battery and keeps weight off the slide.----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

I Don't have the racker any more. Or I would do a photo for you, To get the gun up off the table I use the Dawson thumb rest. We spend more time shooting around barricades and through ports -= even with the smaller 3/8" nub on the scope mount I bumped the side of a barricade with it. Also my thumb hung up on the racker a few times during the draw.

I don't think I give up much off a table start.

Now I did learn plenty by having the slide set up with the ball detent racker. I could pop it on and train with it at any time. pop it off and test drills off a low table, in a box & in a drawer. & with close targets, right side left side moving forward and back. = What I found was Consistency (with-out) the racker. I am glad that I had it set up and now I know for certain that I do not gain any thing with it and I don't give up any thing with-out it.

If it was on the gun I had lots of risk on catching my thumbs or catching a barricade.

If you go to an event and have any stage that you may want the racker for = you have to leave it on for the entire event. It is against the rules to take it off or put it on after the first shot is fired.

I too have one of Benny's guns that has been running over 2 years now. The first 6 months I did not have a slide racker then I cut my own dove tail and installed one. I would not have a gun without one. Just the ease of loading and unloading makes it worth it to ME. Every has their likes and dislikes but this thread has caused me to order a spring plunger and I am going to convert it to a ball detent racker.

Randal

I too have one of Benny's guns that has been running over 2 years now. The first 6 months I did not have a slide racker then I cut my own dove tail and installed one. I would not have a gun without one. Just the ease of loading and unloading makes it worth it to ME. Every has their likes and dislikes but this thread has caused me to order a spring plunger and I am going to convert it to a ball detent racker.

Randal

Get two one for your comp as well. ;)

:rolleyes: Hey All:

Brownells carries a crane and ball detent set-up that has everything you need to put

the ball detent in for slide rackers. The kit is in with revolver parts, I drill into the left side of the slide

at a slight angle so ya dont go into the fireing pin channel. The kit comes with all ya need to do

the job.

Jim

Sailors :blink::blush:

That is exactly what I have used before and referenced the procedure in my first post in this thread Jim.

Ol' Benny was born at night, but it wasn't last night, so I have been noodling on his putting it in the racker itself.........

The ready made spring plungers are so easy to put into the slide that I need to noodle on it some more.....

:rolleyes: Hey All:

Brownells carries a crane and ball detent set-up that has everything you need to put

the ball detent in for slide rackers. The kit is in with revolver parts, I drill into the left side of the slide

at a slight angle so ya dont go into the fireing pin channel. The kit comes with all ya need to do

the job.

Jim

Sailors :blink::blush:

Jim would you have a part number? I have one where the ball and spring decided to go their own way so I've been using the set screw. I think I'd like to go back to the ball and detent.

If you go to an event and have any stage that you may want the racker for = you have to leave it on for the entire event. It is against the rules to take it off or put it on after the first shot is fired.

Maybe, maybe not.

5.1.8 lets you do it with the RM's approval BEFORE you shoot it after modification. But I don't see them letting you do it without some kind of justification.

Edited by WDB

:rolleyes::devil:

IN THE NEW BROWNELLS CATALOG #60 the crane ball detent is on page 186

part # 713-035-000aa, If you guys get the kit watch were ya put the hole

be very aware of the fireing pin channel, when ya go to swage the ball in place

use several snappy blows of the hammer smaller ball peen hammer works best

: follow the instructions go slow = dont peen/swage the ball too deep or it wont

work all the good,If ya have a problem call me Ill walk ya through it. :blink::mellow:<_<:closedeyes:

Jim/Pa

402 650 5190

:blink: