Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Inconsistency

tnpyeron3

At a recent local match (Fredericksburg,VA) I shot the match fairly well for a C class shooter, but I seem to be having a huge issue with match inconsistency. Out of 7 stages, I placed in the top 8 in 5 stages, 13th in another and 30th in the last (classifier).

I am at a loss as to why I can shoot well for a majority of a match and completely tank 1 or more stages.

Also, I seem to be choking on classifiers. Some I will shoot 60% + and others less than 40%, (example 99-11: Production - 72%, L-10 - 56%, Limited - 41%)

Is it possible to put too much stress upon yourself shooting classifiers? I feel that I should be a B class or higher, but my match performance shows that I should be a D.

What can I do to shoot a match consistent?

I'm sure this has been asked over and over again, but I am still baffled.

I know that there is no magic cure all, but I am looking for a starting out point to fix any mistakes.

Thanks

I am at a loss as to why I can shoot well for a majority of a match and completely tank 1 or more stages.

Also, I seem to be choking on classifiers. Some I will shoot 60% + and others less than 40%, (example 99-11: Production - 72%, L-10 - 56%, Limited - 41%)

This is so simple it's gonna be hard for you to see...forest and trees and whatnot.

It's likely that your self-image (how you see yourself or define yourself as a shooter) is that of the above statements.

You probably feel a little uncomfortable (nervous, anxious) UNTIL you tank a stage. That's because you're not shooting how you EXPECT to shoot.

After you tank, you settle down because you're back in your comfort zone.

Your self image defines your comfort zone and dictates how you expect to shoot.

"which stage am I gonna tank?"

As for the classifiers, that's happening because your expectations are leading to over-trying, which is the worst thing you can do.

This can be changed. let me know if I'm right and we'll go from there. Think about it a bit first...

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson

I know this is going to appear to be a plug for his book since he just posted, but it IS NOT.

I was having the same problem, a C class shooter, with glimpses of A, but felt I was a solid B, but my stage performance was up and down depending on how the stars were aligned. I had classifiers on file ranging from 22% to 74%.

Based on several recommendations from this forum, I bought Repetition and Refinement and after one week, five days of doing the drills, shot a Classifier Match and was within +/- 2% across the board on all the stages. That week didnt improve my skill level per se, but it did bring about the consistency I was looking for.

I am confident over time it will improve all phases of my game.

Also, classifiers are a different style of shooting than most stages. Rarely is there movement, forced reloads, etc. that throw you off. I'm much better at field courses as well, because the extra activity keeps me from freaking out and trying to burn down the stage.

H.

Sometimes the classifier get s in your head and you feel it is a "special" and "different" stage, so you approach it with that in mind.

I used to do that, then went through a hero/zero period. Now I just treat it as another stage to be shot (thanks to a casual conversation with one of the EH shooters...thanks, Bill W.!).

Found my consistency and shooting improved over the last two classifiers because of it.

Steve got here is said what I would have said. So I'll just give a little tidbit on this:

What can I do to shoot a match consistent?

I'm sure this has been asked over and over again, but I am still baffled.

I know that there is no magic cure all, but I am looking for a starting out point to fix any mistakes.

Perhaps, instead of being outcome based, focus on executing the fundamentals. Let the outcome be what it may.

(Now, back to Steve's post for a re-read.)

This is so simple it's gonna be hard for you to see...forest and trees and whatnot.

It's likely that your self-image (how you see yourself or define yourself as a shooter) is that of the above statements.

You probably feel a little uncomfortable (nervous, anxious) UNTIL you tank a stage. That's because you're not shooting how you EXPECT to shoot.

As for the classifiers, that's happening because your expectations are leading to over-trying, which is the worst thing you can do.

This can be changed. let me know if I'm right and we'll go from there. Think about it a bit first...

SA

Steve,

Thank you, you are right.

It sometimes feels like a burden has been lifted when I do tank a stage and then I feel like I'm back in my groove. The conversation in my head goes something like this "Wow, I F**ed that up. Well, at least that's what I expected and 1 stage out of 10 isn't too bad."

All too often I pick a stage, even before I shoot it, and assume that I am going to crash and burn. And usually I do.

I assumed that was the case on the classifiers. Trying too hard when I should be focusing on the fundamentals. Case in point: while shooting Can You Count, String 1 was fine with a 5 second run but in Sting 2, I failed to seat the magazine all the way. A good example of going too fast and missing what should be an easy reload.

Maybe it's time to reread your book (and practice those drills) and a few others to polish some of these rough spots.

Flex,

All too often I catch myself forgetting the fundamentals and worrying where I am going to place when the scores come out.

I used to stress out about the classifiers, and as a result my preformance suffered.

After developing a mental program that I run before each stage (Thanks Steve and Lanny!) my stage-to-stage preformace has balanced itself out. Once I started shooting classifers the same as other stages (for max points) I rocketed to A class.

Not that you should EVER concern yourself with ranking during a match, but I believe that you will find it difficult to do poorly when you are always going for all A's.

OK, step two.

PB is right...my best matches have always been when all I cared about was two pretty alphas on every target.

When my subconscious skills are honed and they are directed by my focus on alphas, and I KNOW I am trained enough...it's easy and stress free.

I am very content to finish where I finish.

The sport's champions take that to the next level. It requires exponentially more of all of the above.

It's kinda like horsepower and speed vs. wind resistance.

The Bugatti Veyron has 1001 horsepower from a V12 with Four turbos.

It takes some of that (not much) to get to 150 miles an hour. (M class match wins) it takes every last bit of that horsepower to get to it's top speed of around 200+ mph. (winning your division at nationals)

That's because at lower speeds, the engine is moving the car.

To get to top speed it has to move the car against the wind that doesn't want it to go 200+ mph. The car has the juice to get there, cuz that's why it exists.

Everybody has the horsepower to get to M. It's not that difficult.

To win your division at Nats will take exponentially more of what got you to M.

It won't be easy, but if you NEED it to happen it will.

I would advise making Alphas your focus on all stages, then train your ass off in practice to increase your natural, subconscious skill level. (your performance devoid of trying)

In training, only judge your focus. If you are working on set-ups, they will improve but your hits may suffer. Accept this and do not judge it.

Once the better setups become your sub-conscious and you re-focus on hits... Bingo Bango Boom, you've increased the HP that is available to your car. And if you KNOW this is true, your self-image has a few extra ponies to give.

I'll be happy to expand on this if anyone cares to loan me their Bugatti Veyron so I can be sure my analogy makes sense. I'll even wash it. :)

But, as I tend to stray from my sermon's title when preaching, I'll wrap it up:

Train for subconscious skill, celebrate your improvement, Shoot for Alphas and you'll be a happy camper.

Include some self-analysis that identifies opportunities for improvement

and you'll be sh*ttin' in tall cotton. (i'm not sure what that means but Flex tells me it's a good thing...)

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson

Thanks again Steve,

Sometimes I can run through my mind everything that I've learned, but it still doesn't click or make sense. Then someone (you) puts it in a different perspective and it makes sense.

I can't wait to get to the range and refocus my training. My next USPSA match is a couple of months off, so the practice will help. Hopefully I can refine some rough spots, get a slot to the Limited Nationals and have a good showing.

I'll let you know if I'll be sh*ttin' in tall cotton.

Oh...My Bugatti is in the shop, but you can borrow it when I get it back.

bugatti

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/422697/bugat...on_on_top_gear/

btw, i was wrong... its a V16

I like being wrong.

10 radiators 253 mph.

good grief.

There's no reason for a car like that to exist. But I'm glad it does.

Have I mentioned I like excellence?

Edited by Steve Anderson

SA

That's the best damn performance advice I have ever seen. ;);) I've found it to be true at work , in martial arts, pretty much every thing I do. (if I keep finding jewls like this to print and hang on my fridge I'm going to need to get a bigg :blink: er fridge.)

...and you'll be sh*ttin' in tall cotton. (i'm not sure what that means but Flex tells me it's a good thing...)

How could it be anything but good ? :lol:

I think it means you will be outstanding in your field. :D

Or standing out, or something... B)

I practiced and attend more matches last year than I have this year, but I find that although I have only been shooting a few years, I do well on some stages, and crash and burn on others. Like doing a standing reload at the end of stage to re-engage one mini popper that I had already engaged......Yet other stages I watch my front sight aim for A's, trying to be as smooth as possible, it helps me complete the stage in decent time and hits' although I felt as though I was going a little slow. I think that on the stages I thought I was going fast on, I didn't pay attention enough to getting A's, and my score reflects that. ON stages were I didn't hesitate, yet got a good cadence and aimed for A's my transitions benefited and a got a decent placing.

• 2 months later...

I finally had a chance to get out and shoot another USPSA match this past weekend after a long layoff and the results were much better than when I started this topic.

I went into the match and each stage with the thought of hitting only A's as smoothly as possible.

The results were good on most stages.

The only issues were when I lost focus a few times (going faster than I could see my sights and skipping some fundamentals) and had a couple of D's (10), a few M's (5) and 1 No-Shoot (The sights were right where I looked though, the center of the no-shoots head??).

But the good that came out of the bad hits is that I knew I had those bad shots. (I just failed to make them up!! I don't know why I didn't)

The best stages were the ones that I saw the sights lift every time and focused on A's.

Thank you all for your help.

See you all at Summer Blast.