Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning By Dunking

Nemo

Any of yous dunk your handguns in a cleaning fluid for the ultimate bath? If so, IN WHAT?

Curious because I'm thinking of dunkin' mine in MPro-7.

Comments, suggestions?

Nope, they come apart every 3-5 thousand rounds because that is a good time to look things over and make sure every part is healthy. It only takes me 30 mintues to take every single piece and part out of an STI, clean it up, look it over and put it back together. I just add a little lube during the 3-5 thousand rounds to keep everything going on the Limited gun, the open gun requires cleaning the top end every thousand rounds or so, and a full detail cleaning every couple top end cleanings.

I am also VERY particular about having a clean DRY grip, it would probably take 30 minutes to get the dunking gunk out of the grip of an STI or a Glock. At that point I could have been done already.

The dunking technique sounds like it would be great, but it it has limited applications. No good for wood grips, no good for TruGrip or skateboard tape, no good for C-Mores, always have that vague idea you might be disolving your STI frame, etc. My solution was to get a cheap parts washer, fill it with some solvent bought bulk from Brownells that has a touch of lubricating qualities so that the gun isn't brake cleaner dry. I then disassemble, throw everything I can into soak and scrub everything off with a GI toothbrush. Give the frame a once over and I'm done. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes, works for me.

I once considered one of those ultrasonic cleaners, but decided I was too lazy to use it.

How about a once-a-year dunk?

I hate cleaning guns almost as much as I hate reloading. When I have to give my revo the once-over and then Jr's STI, and then Francisco's STI... :angry:

Dunk 'em all in MPro-7 for a couple hours, brush, dunk again and then blow-dry. Seems it'll be easier than the 3 individual sessions. I'll try it and report back.

Once a year, strip frame and get the grit out.

That's about it.

SA

An Open gun that doesn't need lots of care...and runs and runs ?

The on the balls guys here should realize that you are a Grand Master with an OPEN gun that runs like a top. They should be all over you asking about your gun.

:unsure:

Any of yous dunk your handguns in a cleaning fluid for the ultimate bath? If so, IN WHAT?

Curious because I'm thinking of dunkin' mine in MPro-7.

Comments, suggestions?

MPRO is basically concentrated soap. Dunking in it won't hurt anything, but it won't loosen burned on carbon deposits.

I have yet to find any product which will dissolve burned on carbon.

Naptha is probably as good a dunking agent as any. Kerosene is also OK.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one solution guaranteed to make you scream.

After a day at the range in the Army (80's -90's), we used carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or for a filthy M-60 barrel, a soaking in a sink full of Lime Away. After a few thousand rounds in a few hours, these are the methods we used. My gunsmith nearly fell out of his chair at hearing this, but hell, it worked. :ph34r:

That's about it.

SA

The on the balls guys here should realize that you are a Grand Master with an OPEN gun that runs like a top. They should be all over you asking about your gun.

Don't all guns run?

I don't care if they look good. If mine don't run, I fixes em.

Mineral spirits aka Paint thinner... works well I keep a covered bucket handy, for detailed cleaning once in awhile. Gun gets stripped parts go in I use a paintbrush to slosh around the frame and slide, and blow it with a compressor... My favorite is Tetra cleaner and lubes, clean with the cleaner lube with the lube if you dont use anything else after a few times the gun just wipes off guess a coating bonds to the metal keeping crud from sticking.

That's about it.

SA

Don't all guns run?

I don't care if they look good. If mine don't run, I fixes em.

No...they sure don't.

I dunk at every cleaning in odorless mineral spirits and use an old hair dryer to evaporate the excess. Kimber 1911. Removes all powder fouling and old oil completely. I scrub with a brush, blow dry to evaporate excess, oil all the sweet spots, I have kroil in a syrenge for those special hard to reach places that need a drop, I then clean the barrel with a brush and jag using shooters choice and kroil.

My new favorite gun cleaner is WD-40 (actually the wallmart knock off). That and a toothbrush, Q tips, and paper towels does everything but rifle barrels. If the WD-40 won’t get it clean then out comes the brake cleaner.