Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

picking up a gun from a surface

ErikW

I've always used the two-hand technique to pick up my gun from a surface (e.g., table top) at the start of a stage. I kind of dismissed the one-hand technique after trying it in practice.

I just realized I've been using the one-hand technique at times, without consciously knowing it at the time I did it. I've done one-handed pickups every time the gun started unloaded. I must have done it this way because my weak hand can't flip the back of the gun when the hand is holding a magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never understood the two-handed-flip-up-the-gun method.  I pick up hundreds of things a day and unless the thing is too heavy or bulky I only use one hand!  Why make it complicated?  I just quickly, lightly pick up the gun by grasping the front and back strap between my thumb and 3 fingers, then once the gun is off the table/whatever I proceed to grip the gun just like a normal draw.

Yeah I have some--perhaps irrational--weird fear that if I one-hand it I'm going to grab it by the trigger. Two hands lets me tilt it up so I can get my strong hand web against the beavertail concave, and that's what I'm all about is feeling those two meet.

Why not two hands? You've got the weak hand in the perfect place to complete your freestyle grip.

Sorry guys, I'm just a Keep it Simple, Stupid kind of guy.  My weak hand is right there, no extra movements required when I pick up the gun one handed.  When the gun is empty I pick up the gun EXACTLY the same way I do when it's loaded, so again KISS.  For me the two handed flip up is just another opportunity to screw it up.

"Yeah I have some--perhaps irrational--weird fear that if I one-hand it I'm going to grab it by the trigger."

In the Matt Burkett video, he demos a one-hand pick-up technique that places the middle through little fingers in front of the grip, on the table, the thumb behind, and the index finger goes around the front of the trigger guard. When you close your hand the gun just pops into your grip - and, though I don't believe Matt stressed this - it also absolutely ensures you CAN'T put your finger on the trigger until after the gun's in your hand.

Actually I've been experimenting with this technique, combined with the weak hand flipping up the slide. Just call me a belt and suspenders kind of guy, but it works great.

DT, I've also seen Matt's videos re this technique.  I've tried it several times but once my index finger slipped then went inside the trigger guard contacting the trigger.  Maybe I ("sloppily") applied finger pressure incorrectly while grabbing but it seems you have to initially apply pressure with the thumb and index finger to be able to lift the gun up? Esp. with a heavy 1911? Plus compounded by a round trigger guard (seems to work okay with my glock, though)?

• 4 weeks later...

I use the one handed technique that Matt shows in his video it works for me.

mcoliver,

when you do the technique are you looking at the gun on the table or the targets?

I look at the gun right where I want my hand to go to pick it up this prevents my finger from going into the trigger guard.

bkeeler

(Edited by bkeeler at 10:29 am on Jan. 17, 2003)

If you have a big mag release button I recommend two hands, it is funny seeing the mag fall out and the one shot oh cr@p look. I don't need a big button so I grab it the same way I draw from the wrist above shoulders position. The 3 fingers seem to get a good enough grip for me.

The only time it's funny is when it's someone else.

I use the two handed.  I have found that once I get the the rear sight to about 10 o clock I can always get a good grip and do not have to adjust.  I have short thumbs=big buton so if the surface is to where my button may get pushed I lay it on the other side and grab the magwell with my left hand.  Or if the CD does not say on it's side I sit the gun straight up.  The para's do this well with an SA magwell but you can get the S-I's to do it with the long dust cover.

I use both techniques depending on the stage.

If the gun is unloaded, i.e. mag on belt I will usually pick up single handed. I've used the pinch pick up Matt recommends, it was in THE book too, but usually I'll just grab the gun and go while my weak hand grabs a mag.

If the mag is in the gun, chamber empty or not, I use the 2 handed technique. Awaiting the buzzer my attention is focused on the rear sight, exactly where my left index finger goes to perform the flip.

Wouldn't put a big mag button on my gun, even found the standard one too long when the gun is started on the convex top of a 44 gallon drum, and no I didn't laugh! ;)

P.D.