Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buttstock Choice?

joelhilgy

My JP-15 is probably getting close to completion, it is set to ship with an long ACE socom stock, but I would like to hear from those that have tried the Magpul Precision stock to hear whether it would be a good choice for this game, I don't have any experience in the three gun side of this sport yet so I would be very grateful for the input.

And Thanks to Brian and all who contribute here on Brians forums, the collective knowledge here is invaluable!

Don't know about the MagPul PRS other than I want one for a project gun, but the ACE stock is nice. I have two, and other that being light, I find that the pad on the buffer tube quiets the "sproing!" noise some, which I consider a benefit.

Now, on the other hand, the Magpul CTR stock is, from what I hear, another fine choice. Light, adjustable, locks positively into place. Another worthy candidate.

The ACE SOCOM on my AR-10 just gave up the ghost. Apparently, the locking mechanism couldn't handle the recoil of a comped, 11.5 pound .308.

I replaced it with a CTR. On the 2 AR15's I have, one wears a CTR and the other wears an ACE ARFX Skeleton stock. If you want adjustable, get the CTR. If you want light and simple, get the ARFX.

For me both the ACE and the Magpul PRS are too long and the PRS is way too heavy. I'm now using a Magpul CTR stock on a VLTOR mil-spec tube.

Edited by gotm4

I have the Magpull PRS on my Tactical rifle and love it. It is a tad heavier than others but it puts the weight where I like it. behind the shooting hand. It actually makes the rifle balance better and not feel so muzzle heavy. It feels in the hands like a much lighter gun.

post-6767-1175249405.jpg

Thanks for the input, it is about all I have to go on at this point because this is my first AR and I haven't even shot one rifle stage yet.

"makes the rifle balance better and not feel so muzzle heavy" posted by mpeltier

Good point.

Another reason I am thinking about the PRS stock is for it's adjustability. I have the Meopta 1x4 scope on order and am trying to avoid ordering more mounts than I need to get the height right.

-Joel

The Magpul PRS has the ability for vertical adjustment. The Socom does not. IMO, the PRS is a better all around option.

It might be a bit too heavy for running and gunning though, when the overall weight is a factor. I have lowers with the PRS, Ace and CTR stocks and I decide which to use in a match based on the length of stages amount of running to do.

It's not very sexy, but the shorter A-1 Viet Nam era M16 stock with the rounded corners on the recoil pad ain't too shabby... regards Les

Now your talkin. Nice and simple.

I like the look too. Classic.