Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok So I Am An Idiot..

standles

Heh Guys:

Well I hate to do this but here goes....

I just recieved my Bedell Spitfire and promptly went and put 500 rounds through it to start the breakin. Well now it is time for a cleaning I would think... ;)

Here is the issue. I have only owned bushing guns before. I ended up getting the recoil srping assembly out and back in but the effort was way to much. There has got to be a better way. I hate to admit it but it took me ~45 mins and a cramped arm trying to compress the whole assembly and get it tucked back in.

The only other gun I have like this is a kimper pro cdp but it has a hole to pop a paperclip in to hold everything compressed. I didn't see a hole in this assembly.

I hang my head in shame.....

Help me out...

Steven

The King's bushing wrench is very nice to have (don't have one but used one once).

This wrench has a "wing" to hold the plug while you compress it.

If your bushing is tight enough to require a wrench, and I assume from Beddel that it is, you might want to pick a King's.

Is the end of the guide shaped to fit a hex wrench? If so, lock the slide to the rear, uncrew the front half of the guide rod, it'll come out of the gun. Ease the slide forward, thereafter the gun strips as normal. To reassemble, put everything back together, lock the slide to the rear, then reinstall the front end of the guide.

Hmm maybe some more info in order.

This is a bushingless gun. BBL is fit to slide. The recoil spring system has one piece that fits into the forward part of the slide (under where the bushing would be) and retains the recoil spring from exiting the front. The rest of the rod is a dual system but the system is not one you dissassemble. (no hex socket or anything else on muzzle end) The rod backend is staked in place.

I know not a good description. I can post a picture when I get it.

Steven

Edited by standles

Hmm maybe some more info in order.

This is a bushingless gun. BBL is fit to slide. The recoil spring system has one piece that fits into the forward part of the slide (under where the bushing would be) and retains the recoil spring from exiting the front. The rest of the rod is a dual system but the system is not one you dissassemble. (no hex socket or anything else on muzzle end) The rod backend is staked in place.

I know not a good description. I can post a picture when I get it.

Steven

Hmmmm how about call Dan? ;)

You likely have a recoil master. look under the foam in the case your pistol came in, you'll probably find the green retainer for the recoilmaster. lock the slide back, attach the retainer to hold the springs & then disassemble your pistol.

or

CALL DAN!

The recoil assembly is a STI Recoil Master and there should be a "green" capture collar supplied with the gun. (If not call Dan)

Remove the slide from the frame, depress the recoil assembly with your thumb untill it bottoms out against the spring tunnel and snap the capture collar over the exposed end of the guide rod at the muzzle end. Now slip the entire recoil assembly out through the back side of the slide (chamber end).

Should take you less time to remove it than it did for me to type.

If recoil master, then you can also pull the slide off, push recoil guide rod out the front end as far it will go then snap on the green disassembly tool thingy (technical term).

ETA: Too slow on the button, already posted....

Edited by want2race

Or call me.

It is a recoilmaster with a bull barrel. We do a bushing gun now also, still a recoilmaster though.

The keeper or takedown tool is now coming black from STI, not green. Although there are still lots of green out there. Color doesnt matter though.

Remove the top end. Compress the spring by catching the recoilmaster head on a work bench or you can use your thumb. Insert take down tool on end of recoilmaster then remove. Be careful to make sure the takedown tool is fully engaged so it doesnt slip off.

I like reversing process for assembly. Its difficult to get the takedown tool out on a long dustcover gun so I release the spring tension and remove the tool before putting the top end back on.

If you have any problems call me.

Oh yea one more thing. Dont clean it yet. Put some oil on the rails and contact places, hood & lugs. Shoot it some more. The grit & oil work as a lapping compund. Do a 1000 rounds then clean and oil, should be slick as snot on a door knob.

Ok thanks guys....

I never looked under the foam in the case... *** sound of banging head against the wall ***

I was gonna call Dan or Chuck but it was after hours and late. Thanks for the pointers and I can now take the walk of embaraasment back into oblivion I hope.

I will drop some oil on it and keep it lapping away. :) This thing shoots great. I am glad I finally got one first hand for myself. I actually got bored with the 10-15yd shots and moved to 30-40 yd shots to play with it. Amazing. The recoil was inline and the sights just dropped back onto the tgt.

Thanks again for the quick responses...

Steven

Edited by standles

I like reversing process for assembly. Its difficult to get the takedown tool out on a long dustcover gun so I release the spring tension and remove the tool before putting the top end back on.

Chuck is right, my Spitfire has a short dust cover, like my Shorty's, real easy to take apart!

Good luck...........