the muzzle.

On the Dan Wesson forum, I have noticed a big

backlash against the front serrations. They

don't like the looks. As far as looks go, I

can take them or leave them.

Will someone please tell me why some people

just have to have front serrations?

Thanks! Stainless.

Depends on your definition of "pinch check." The term technically refers to the old technique of curling your support hand index finger around the front of the slide, below the barrel, sticking the thumb into the front of the trigger guard, then "pinching" the two fingers together. And yeah, having my index finger right under the barrel is not my favorite thing in the world, either.

A better technique is to come up from underneath the gun, grab the sides of the slide, toward the front but well back from the muzzle, with the thumb on one side and all four fingertips on the other, and press to the rear. Front cocking serrations do give you a lot more traction to accomplish this, though I've done it many, many times on guns without them.

Pulling the slide to the rear by coming over from the top and using the rear slide cocking grooves works just as well. Different strokes for different folks.

Dude!  Helllll-oooooo!

You totally need front cocking serrations!  They, like, totally add more surface area for your gun to vent all the heat 'cuz you're, like, shooting these amazing splits, and jumping, and running from box to box and hitting the drop-turners, and it's all happening so fast with your screaming hot loads!  Yeah!  Front cocking serrations!

No.  They're sorta like white-wall tires I guess.

Lata,

DogmaDog

I have front serrations on one Limited gun and I like using them to show clear to the R.O. It's not so awkward to hold back the slide so the ejection port and barrel hood are lined up while you angle the muzzle down and hold the gun up for the RO to see.

DogmaDog, air cooling fins? Dude!

Guest Dick W Holliday

Some of the NC shooters may have heard this story but an NC shooting instructor had finished for the day and had gotten into his vehicle and his car gun was a P9 he put a round in the chamber using the front serrations and when the gun closed on the live round it went full auto and shreaded his weak hand...after some surgery doctors were able to move some of the remaining fingers around.......Dick

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=SVP40ED1

This is what I am building right now. I think the serations are cool, but then again I am putting a utility rail on also, just in case I want to shoot at night in LasVegas, I here they do that from time to time and it sounds fun. For $60 buck what the heck, I can say the fluting is dustcover lightening right? I don't want it to be too heavy. There is no accounting for taste.

I'm with Ron...my favorite Limited gun has no front serrations and no rear serrations...but it does have middle serrations  :)

6" lightened slide with the only serrations just forward of the ejection port.  I wasn't sure if I liked it when I first started shooting the pistol, but I'm very fond of it now.  One of those things that I wouldn't have bought if I was buying (instead of winning), but now would buy another just like it...if you follow that twisted logic ;)

My current carry gun (a 5" .45)  has the forward serrations, and the "cool" factor is pretty high...although the "use" factor is pretty low.  Since I do like the way it looks (for no good reason whatsoever), I'll machine them in my new carry gun (Commander-sized STI in 9by23) too.

Alex

Quote: from Dick W Holliday on 4:32 pm on Jan. 17, 2003

Some of the NC shooters may have heard this story but an NC shooting instructor had finished for the day and had gotten into his vehicle and his car gun was a P9 he put a round in the chamber using the front serrations and when the gun closed on the live round it went full auto and shreaded his weak hand...after some surgery doctors were able to move some of the remaining fingers around.......Dick

This is the reason I come from underneath the gun to use the front serations. Much less of a risk involved. I will  agree the front serations are useful whaen unloading at a match as the give the RO a much better view when used from under the gun.

Quote: from Dick W Holliday on 2:32 pm on Jan. 17, 2003

Maybe I should put a connector over to the similar thread running on the 1911 forum.  I posted the opinion that putting a "hand grip" about 1/4" from the muzzle of a pistol was a dumb idea and got shredded by all the morons over there.

I used the front serrations to "show clear" on my P14-15 limited one time. It was at the end of a ~30 round stage and I raised a large blister on my weak hand when I touched my hand against the barrel. I don't see any "good" reason for front serrations.

Yes, grasping the slide from underneath would be much safer. Serrations in the middle of the slide would be even better.

Of course, we must also consider the "coolness" factor.

Cheers,

It depends of the gun, my safeties are big, positioned high and the slide of the Tanfoglio is realy thin so when you grip the gun it's allmost impossible to load it with the rear serrations, (specialy in a stage)so for  me the front serrations are a must.

i have had front serrations on my pistols since before i used a scope. i ALWAYS reach from under the frame and have never touched the barrel.  i now use Chuck Heitt scope mounts and you cannot touch the left rear of the slide and i abhor cocking levers.  i too hold the pistol with the port at the hood so the RO can more easily see my empty chamber.

No coolness factor ever entered into my decision to have front serrations.

and one of my old shooting buddies suffered a severe gash on his palm when he used the rear serrations and the pistol slam fired, bomars are sharp

DVC

SharonAnne L 2387