Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Sight Picture After Recoil, Not On Target....

rookieglocker

Hi everybody, I've been lurking around this forum for a while and I've found a ton of good information that helped improve my shooting, so thanks everyone for this place.

I'm now having a problem with recoil management and follow up. As I shoot a target(std pistol 7 inch diameter, 18 m) the rounds go where they should, the gun recoils straight up, and the next sight alignment is good but not on target :blink: The gun is aligned slightly higher and to the right.

I tried both in iso and weaver to see if there's any difference but I keep having to manually retrack the sights back on target thus killing my splits(about 0.4-0.5 :( )

I used the search function but with no luck, feel free to redirect me to any good post on the subject!

I shoot a g19 w/ truglo TFO, I've been shooting for about 2 years and about 4k rounds,

I plan to start IDPA when I feel I have decent skills.

Please forgive me if there are misspells/errors but I'm from Italy and my english is not perfect!

thanks in advance!

Edited by rookieglocker

That might be as simple as how you are lined up with the target to start with.

Your Natural Point of Aim (NPA) my already have you pointing the gun high and right to start with. Thus, requiring you to muscle the gun to the center of the target each time.

Try presenting the gun with your eyes closed a few times. Then, open your eyes and see where the gun is on the target. Adjust your stance, as needed, until your NPA is lined up with the center of the target.

Once you get that squared away, shoot some Bill Drills. (6 fast shots)

That might be as simple as how you are lined up with the target to start with.

Your Natural Point of Aim (NPA) my already have you pointing the gun high and right to start with. Thus, requiring you to muscle the gun to the center of the target each time.

Try presenting the gun with your eyes closed a few times. Then, open your eyes and see where the gun is on the target. Adjust your stance, as needed, until your NPA is lined up with the center of the target.

Once you get that squared away, shoot some Bill Drills. (6 fast shots)

thanks, I've tried some presentation and it looks like it's the problem.I'll check with the Bill Drills next week!

Also be sure you aren't trying to control the gun, let it jump and come right back. If you are trying to muscle it into staying in place it won't lift and come back to where it started. Experiment with grip pressure to see the difference it can make, and make sure your arms are pretty soft when shooting.

Also be sure you aren't trying to control the gun, let it jump and come right back. If you are trying to muscle it into staying in place it won't lift and come back to where it started. Experiment with grip pressure to see the difference it can make, and make sure your arms are pretty soft when shooting.

I'll try this as well, sometimes the guns seems "nervous" when coming back from recoil.

I've added a video of me shooting. I'm not sure if I should open another thread in the video section or post it here. Anyway here it is

http://www.twango.com/media/rookie_inside....ie_inside.10002

EDIT: added video

Edited by rookieglocker

When practicing your draws at home, draw with your eyes closed, then open your eyes and see if the sights are aligned and where they are pointed. Then repeat that drill for the rest of your life.

When you open your eyes, if the sights are not aligned and not pointed where you intended, don't consciously try to make any corrections (don't think about it at all). Just notice where the sights were and repeat the drill.

Then after you've practiced long enough until you get fairly consistent alignment (without depending on your eyes), take this drill to the range and modify it slightly. With your eyes open, draw and aim at a target. Then close your eyes and trigger off the shot. Then open your eyes and notice where the sights recovered to. You can't do enough of that drill either.

be

When practicing your draws at home, draw with your eyes closed, then open your eyes and see if the sights are aligned and where they are pointed. Then repeat that drill for the rest of your life.

When you open your eyes, if the sights are not aligned and not pointed where you intended, don't consciously try to make any corrections (don't think about it at all). Just notice where the sights were and repeat the drill.

Then after you've practiced long enough until you get fairly consistent alignment (without depending on your eyes), take this drill to the range and modify it slightly. With your eyes open, draw and aim at a target. Then close your eyes and trigger off the shot. Then open your eyes and notice where the sights recovered to. You can't do enough of that drill either.

be

thanks everyone for the clear descriptions. I'll start right now!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, It's much better now, and I'm getting a feeling of the gun.Letting the shot off with my eyes closed allowed me to understand that I was fighting the gun more than letting it recoil.I'm getting more aware of what's going on when I shoot! Much experimenting to do though. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
With your eyes open, draw and aim at a target. Then close your eyes and trigger off the shot. Then open your eyes and notice where the sights recovered to. You can't do enough of that drill either.

be

My sights end up left and low. What can I do to help it?

My sights end up left and low. What can I do to help it?

Check out the graphic in Post #7... You may be squeezing the grip as you shoot. Another possibility is a heavy recoil spring. Sometimes too much recoil spring will drive the gun down as the slide flies forward.

Edited by BritinUSA